Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Open Lopez against a low rated opponents (Read 4898 times)
PANFR

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Open Lopez against a low rated opponents
Reply #4 - 02/20/14 at 14:38:37
Post Tools
6.Re1 Nc5 is as harmless as it gets. Look at the previous post: instead of the stupid 12...f5, which leaves e5 unguarded, 12...Re8 is just fine for Black.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #3 - 02/20/14 at 13:49:06
Post Tools
ive had same position come up otb recently and found 12. ... re8 and keep pawn on f6 for a while longer to guard e5 square seems to be more active play for black ... my engine really likes ...b5 in that position

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 02/20/14 at 13:45:02
Post Tools
Or at least comfortably equal. Certainly nothing for black to complain about, but you won't always win every game from an equal position Smiley

Its quite an easy line for white to fall into mind - I actually did it the last/only I played against the open Lopez.

6 d4 really isn't a natural move the first time you see the position over the board. As I remember I apologised afterwards!
(I managed to keep the game unstable enough to survive OK with white, maybe even an edge at the end, but not really what I like to do.).

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #1 - 02/20/14 at 12:30:07
Post Tools
6.Re1 just gives White an inferior version of a Ruy Lopez Exchange, i.e. Black has the two bishops and White doesn't get a kingside pawn majority.  Black should just be slightly better. 

It looks to me like you need to study positional play, endgames, and "technique."  You didn't have to play 18...c5 leading to an isolated pawn, and you certainly didn't need to hang your f4-pawn.  Just 18...g5 and you have more space and the two bishops.  Plenty of scope to outplay weaker players with absolutely zero risk; I'm not sure why you're complaining about the opening here.

In your final position I'd say that White is winning easily because he has an extra pawn in addition to Black's bad bishop and isolated pawn on d5.

IP Logged

chandrashekharkoravi

I Love ChessPublishing!

Open Lopez against a low rated opponents
02/20/14 at 08:50:29
Post Tools
I really liked korchnoi games and start playing open lopez...I play it regularly these days...I had also good results on it..But I found that it is hard to play against a low rated opponent who is playing for a draw...Those who didn't have any idea about the opening played 6.Re1..But still I didn't score a good result against it..Please check the game

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo