Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll closed Question: Who will win the Candidates' Tournament, 2014?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Vishy Anand    
  9 (6.7%)
Dmitry Andreikin    
  0 (0.0%)
Levon Aronian    
  52 (38.5%)
Sergey Karjakin    
  5 (3.7%)
Vladimir Kramnik    
  51 (37.8%)
Shakhriyar Mamedyarov    
  2 (1.5%)
Peter Svidler    
  7 (5.2%)
Veselin Topalov    
  9 (6.7%)

Total votes: 135
« Created by: Smyslov_Fan on: 03/03/14 at 03:18:21 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Who will win this year's Candidates' Tournament! (Read 82393 times)
Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Re: Who will win this year's Candidates' Tournament!
Reply #249 - 04/16/14 at 21:59:40
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 04/16/14 at 14:38:48:
I still favor Carlsen to win, but this time

1) Anand has nothing to lose.
2) Anand is in a highly dangerous state --that of a recently-liberated champion.
3) Anand will make attack an issue.
4) Anand is not going to allow the Berlin, has a huge body of theoretical knowledge that Carlson cannot hope to match, and will make the opening an issue.
5) Carlsen has to protect his status.
6) Anand always hated the pressure of playing at home and regarded it as a disadvantage--see Sofia. I think he did it to give something back to India; but he won't be doing that again.
7) Euwe, Smyslov, and Tal lost their immediate return matches as champion, and Kasparov nearly lost (twice). Only Steinitz was routed.
8) Carlsen is tough, but Anand is the better psychologist and has used his match experience and universal style to discomfit his opponents before.
9) Anand may get Kramnik as his second!

All excellent points, I agree with everything you posted there.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #248 - 04/16/14 at 14:38:48
Post Tools
I still favor Carlsen to win, but this time

1) Anand has nothing to lose.
2) Anand is in a highly dangerous state --that of a recently-liberated champion.
3) Anand will make attack an issue.
4) Anand is not going to allow the Berlin, has a huge body of theoretical knowledge that Carlson cannot hope to match, and will make the opening an issue.
5) Carlsen has to protect his status.
6) Anand always hated the pressure of playing at home and regarded it as a disadvantage--see Sofia. I think he did it to give something back to India; but he won't be doing that again.
7) Euwe, Smyslov, and Tal lost their immediate return matches as champion, and Kasparov nearly lost (twice). Only Steinitz was routed.
8) Carlsen is tough, but Anand is the better psychologist and has used his match experience and universal style to discomfit his opponents before.
9) Anand may get Kramnik as his second!
« Last Edit: 04/16/14 at 18:34:52 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #247 - 04/16/14 at 08:34:53
Post Tools
The dynamic will be completely different in the re-match. Obviously Carlsen is a big favourite given what he did in the first match, but Anand seems to have regained his mojo and would not surprise me in the slightest if he won the return match.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #246 - 04/15/14 at 03:26:08
Post Tools
Personally I think more depends on how Carlsen handles success than on how Anand handles failure.  Carlsen is very young!  Some distraction (a girlfriend) mixed with potential arrogance and who knows?

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #245 - 04/15/14 at 02:09:17
Post Tools
Thanks, Taljechin, for that link!

Kramnik's comments were very interesting. I'd love to see him help Anand to regain the title. (I don't expect as much from Anand as Kramnik does, but he obviously knows what he's talking about.)

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #244 - 04/14/14 at 13:32:21
Post Tools
Kramnik on the Candidate tournament and how he values Anand's chances vs Carlsen:
https://chess24.com/en/read/news/kramnik-we-won-t-see-a-chennai-2

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #243 - 04/01/14 at 14:14:41
Post Tools
Alias wrote on 04/01/14 at 08:25:30:
Anand played very well in this tournament. The win was well deserved. He played a bit like Magnus, not relying so much on opening preparation, but more on strong middle game play. If he gets a good start, he could make Magnus to have to work hard in the match. I don't think Magnus started the previous match too well, but after the first win, everything became much easier. Remember the Queen on h1 in game 3. Magnus was close to losing as White.

Anand played very well in this tournament.  My skepticism comes from the queen on h1 in game 3: it was the only game in the entire match that Magnus might have been in trouble, and Anand couldn't even bother trying to win.

I don't understand how Anand expected to win a single game, except for free out of the opening, in that match.  Very strange.  Maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on last year's match, but personally I think that people are getting too excited by putting too much emphasis on this tournament. 
« Last Edit: 04/01/14 at 15:16:33 by ErictheRed »  

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #242 - 04/01/14 at 08:25:30
Post Tools
Anand played very well in this tournament. The win was well deserved. He played a bit like Magnus, not relying so much on opening preparation, but more on strong middle game play. If he gets a good start, he could make Magnus to have to work hard in the match. I don't think Magnus started the previous match too well, but after the first win, everything became much easier. Remember the Queen on h1 in game 3. Magnus was close to losing as White.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #241 - 04/01/14 at 03:51:23
Post Tools
Regarding closing the thread:

There seems to be plenty to talk about still. I generally let threads die of old age rather than close them prematurely. I am guessing this thread still has at least another page worth of life in it before the next big tournament begins.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #240 - 04/01/14 at 03:36:45
Post Tools
Well I, for one, meant let's not get overly excited about his chances in a match against Carlsen because of his success in this tournament.  I don't think that's belittling.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #239 - 04/01/14 at 02:55:42
Post Tools
FischerTal wrote on 03/31/14 at 20:13:10:
I would not overrate Anand's win here...

ErictheRed wrote on 03/31/14 at 17:02:16:
  But let's not get overly excited; these were (mostly) the players that he's already shown himself to be superior to in the past

RoleyPoley wrote on 03/31/14 at 14:26:39:
I havent been left with the feeling that [Anand] has played all that well against his opponents

I don't know about belittling, but I'd say these sentences suggest that Anand's achievement is less than it might appear. --Anand said after winning one World Championship match, "as usual, it came down to nerves." Well, Anand's nerves here hardly registered a blip. Amazing.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #238 - 03/31/14 at 22:55:39
Post Tools
tony37 wrote on 03/31/14 at 21:53:27:
I don't know Karajakin, but I don't think Karjakin was 'extremely close' to winning that ending, Anand had to be careful but holding the draw didn't look very difficult to me

It was very very close in my opinion - he missed after playing g4 that the king+pawn ending a pawn up was drawn, not saying it was simple but he played a good game and had excellent winning chances in the ending, if it is winning or drawn objectively I don't know.

That game was the only moment in the whole tournament where Anand was in danger though. Forget about ratings and nonsense like that, this was a historic and brilliant achievement by Anand, the likes of which has not been seen for many years.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #237 - 03/31/14 at 22:41:23
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 03/31/14 at 21:43:04:
Isn't it time to close this thread now?  Huh

Anand won quite convincingly, a whole point in front and still some people keep belittling his achievement as if they're experts on how to win candidate tournaments...  Roll Eyes

Who's belittling his achievement?  Doubting that he can perform better against Carlsen is not belittling what he's done.

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #236 - 03/31/14 at 21:53:27
Post Tools
FischerTal wrote on 03/31/14 at 20:13:10:
If Karajakin had won that ending in round 13 which he was extremely close to doing then it would be Karajakin , my prediction, who would have gone through rather than Anand.

I don't know Karajakin, but I don't think Karjakin was 'extremely close' to winning that ending, Anand had to be careful but holding the draw didn't look very difficult to me

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #235 - 03/31/14 at 21:43:04
Post Tools
Isn't it time to close this thread now?  Huh

Anand won quite convincingly, a whole point in front and still some people keep belittling his achievement as if they're experts on how to win candidate tournaments...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo