Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Grünfeld 4.Bg5 (Read 5461 times)
Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: Grünfeld 4.Bg5
Reply #6 - 03/16/14 at 20:19:41
Post Tools
You should certainly look at the coverage in Delchev/Agrest, since their entire 4./5.Bg5 chapter was included in the free pdf excerpt from the book!

http://www.chess-stars.com/resources/Grunfeld_Sample.pdf

I assume it's good material too, though I haven't looked at it in detail.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Othy
YaBB Newbies

Light, seeking light,
doth light of light beguile.

Reply #5 - 03/16/14 at 15:34:35
Post Tools
Grivas and Vigorito sound like the resources for me to check into. Thanks.

And thanks, Eric. I'll be playing it at expert-master level primarily (1900-2400). Akobian's videos look like they give an introductory grounding in the positional aspects of the setup. I'm seeing one or two concepts that are helpful for framing my mindset.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #4 - 03/16/14 at 13:36:39
Post Tools
I don't know what level of depth you're looking for, but I think that these two videos are very good and serve as an excellent introduction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsyCJgyX6mQ&list=PLVWaFpMwtaGguNTCmp2fAFJxhKi0JEp...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBN4JsVI-wc&list=PLVWaFpMwtaGguNTCmp2fAFJxhKi0JEp...

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 03/16/14 at 11:13:56
Post Tools
There's a major chunk of very studious looking, rather up to date coverage on it in the Recent Developments: the Grunfeld by Vigorito.
(or whatever that series is called, published by Everyman.).

Probably the best resource in print for general coverage of it all. Chess publishing should be very good too though Smiley

IP Logged

nestor

Reply #2 - 03/16/14 at 09:25:28
Post Tools
Grivas recommends the move order 4 Nf3 Bg7 5 Bg5, although he gives a page or two on White's other 5th moves after 4 Bg5 Bg7. This book was written in 2006 and life will have moved on since then; I no longer play this line myself and I haven't kept up with the theory.

Kaufman gives two games with 4 Bg5 Ne4.

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #1 - 03/16/14 at 09:00:38
Post Tools
Obviously, all Grünfeld repetoire books (e.g. Dembo, Rowson etc.) cover it. Out of these the most recent other than Avrukh would be "The Safest Grünfeld" by Delchv and Agrest. They cover both the main line and Svidler's 4...Bg7, which a white player needs to be prepared for, unless you plan to play 5.Nf3, in which case a 4.Nf3 + 5.Bg5 move order allows fewer deviations. Kaufmann's black & white repetoire also covers the Grünfeld, but I can't remember what his line vs. 4. Bg5 was.

I think there was also some SoS article a few years back looking at various weird lines that might make entertaining surprise weapons for white (I seem to recall 4.Bg5 Ne4 5.h4, 5.cxd5 and something else). Grivas also covers some Bg5 lines in "Beating the Fianchetto Defences" from a few years back, but I can't remember whether it's with Nf3 in or not.

IP Logged

Othy
YaBB Newbies

Light, seeking light,
doth light of light beguile.

Grünfeld 4.Bg5
03/16/14 at 05:53:35
Post Tools
The 4.Bg5 variation against the Grünfeld has been a fairly hot trend the past few years and received some coverage here recently by GM Flear. I haven't seen it discussed in the past several pages on the forums, so I hope a fresh thread is justifiable.

I'm interested in taking up the line as White. I typically enjoy slightly off-beat setups in main lines. I haven't appreciated playing the White side of the Exchange variation and was one of the many to switch to 1.Nf3 to avoid the Grünfeld altogether for a while. I've recently gone back to 1.d4 and it's time now to get this opening in order.

Is there any coverage forum-goers can point out on the 4.Bg5 line? NIC Yearbooks or CB Magazines? I'm familiar with Avrukh's coverage but nothing outside of that. Is ChessPublishing currently the leading resource for discussion on this line? If so, it might be time to extend my subscription to the Daring Defenses section.

If there is no other coverage available I might begin an in-depth study of games. This could be fertile ground for innovation.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo