Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Lalic 2014. Play the Accelerated Dragon (Read 89405 times)
Peter Lalic
YaBB Newbies

Re: Lalic 2014. Play the Accelerated Dragon
Reply #31 - 05/07/14 at 14:36:32
Post Tools
Stefan Buecker wrote on 05/07/14 at 14:27:15:
Peter Lalic wrote on 05/07/14 at 13:52:23:
[...] I dared not to read any books on the subject. [...]

Wow. The stone age approach.

I predicted that my approach would be controversial! It was either stone-age-like or revolutionary. I didn't want to become mentally attached to other books, and take their analysis / opinions for granted. The reason is that understanding the opening in depth is obviously most important, so I wanted to embark on that exploration by myself.

This way, my resulting repertoire should hopefully work in harmony. As you might be able to tell, I can't quite phrase it eloquently at the moment, so let me rely on a cliché: "too many cooks spoil the broth". That was my novel idea, anyway.

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #30 - 05/07/14 at 14:27:15
Post Tools
Peter Lalic wrote on 05/07/14 at 13:52:23:
[...] I dared not to read any books on the subject. [...]

Wow. The stone age approach.

IP Logged

Peter Lalic
YaBB Newbies

Reply #29 - 05/07/14 at 14:24:44
Post Tools
Don't worry, I suffered from serious perfectionism, so I've lost count of how many times I did a proof-read! That explains why I took so much time on it; I actually began the book and the introduction back in early 2013, and completed it by February 2014.

IP Logged

IM Andrew Greet

Reply #28 - 05/07/14 at 14:12:34
Post Tools
Interesting approach! I look forward to reading it for myself.

At Quality Chess we have found that entering moves manually, rather than using ChessBase, is an almost guaranteed recipe for errors. I sincerely hope this will not be the case in your book. Personally I don't see any reason not to copy and paste the notation from ChessBase to eliminate the risk of typos, but each to their own.

One other thing: sorry Peter if this causes some embarrassment, but I noticed the introduction is dated April 2013 - was the book really finished then? Not your fault of course if the publisher took that amount of time to get the book out, but a bit unfortunate all the same. At least the theory of the Accelerated Dragon tends not to be as volatile as, say, the Najdorf or Grunfeld.

IP Logged

Peter Lalic
YaBB Newbies

Reply #27 - 05/07/14 at 13:52:23
Post Tools
IM Andrew Greet wrote on 05/07/14 at 13:24:17:
I read the extract and enjoyed the lively writing style. I'll be interested to see where Peter's recommendations diverge from my Starting Out book. Would Peter, or someone else who has both books, be willing to comment on this? (I should add that I'll be able to see for myself before too long, as we'll order a copy for the Quality Chess library.)

I appreciate that compliment from such an esteemed writer as yourself, Andrew! I can answer your question with a possibly controversial confession...

Right from the start, I wanted to create a new repertoire. So I set up Mega Database and an engine, and tried to approach the opening from the point of view of my target audience (1600-2200). Basically, that meant assuming nothing, and starting from scratch. Indeed, I was so nerdy in this regard that I manually typed every move into Word!

Anyway, in order to strive for this fresh perspective, I dared not to read any books on the subject. Another benefit was that the database obviously showed the actual tournament praxis of recent, so I could focus on the problems that the reader is being set with the black pieces nowadays.

Having said that, it was fun to read your book afterwards and notice all the similarities! For example, recurring themes like the ...Ra6 lift cropped up.

IP Logged

IM Andrew Greet

Reply #26 - 05/07/14 at 13:24:17
Post Tools
I read the extract and enjoyed the lively writing style. I'll be interested to see where Peter's recommendations diverge from my Starting Out book. Would Peter, or someone else who has both books, be willing to comment on this? (I should add that I'll be able to see for myself before too long, as we'll order a copy for the Quality Chess library.)

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #25 - 05/07/14 at 05:30:32
Post Tools
PANFR wrote on 05/05/14 at 11:01:50:
My understanding is that the book is a little strange in its srtructure, but this is not necessarily a bad thing.
On the Bind he suggests the old Gurgenidze mainline (...a6 and ...Qa5 instead of ...a5) and it mainly uses games by Gusseinov. My feel, as a longtime AD player, is that these lines are viable, but a bit depressing to play OTB- especially the line you have to sac the exchange at d8.
And against the traditional Nc3/Bc4 attacking scheme, he advocates the Uogele variation instead of the solid ...Qa5 lines. The Uogele ends up to a nice mess of a position if white plays f2-f3, but in the case white castles short, my belief is that Black is struggling to equalize (good pawnstucture, but some nasty queenside weaknesses). What's his suggestion after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cd4 4.Nxd4 g6 5.Nc3 (5.Be3 Nf6!- else white may achieve a Maroczy with Black unable to enter the Gurgenidze) Bg7 6.Be3 Nf6 7.Bc4 (my belief is that the right approach against 7.Nxc6 bc6 8.e5 is rather the pawn sac 8...Nd5 and not 8...Ng8, which is the universal recommendation- I won't disclose why I don't trust 8...Ng8 much, though) 7...0-0 8.Bb3 a5 9.0-0(!) a4 10.Nxa4 Nxe4. I think Black has trouble achieving equality here- what mr. Lalic is advocating?

The old plan with ...a6 and ...Qa5 is clearly best in the Gurgenidze, in my own opinion. Guisenov's games certainly form a solid impression of Black's chances. He isn't far from equality. However, I'm not sure he is entirely equal (theoretically or practically) in a different line than the exchange sacrifice line you're referring to. Close enough to have a viable position, though.

That's modern chess, though, the deeper you go in the analysis of a position the greater the likelihood of a draw seems to become.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #24 - 05/05/14 at 16:31:58
Post Tools
On a very side note, it's nice to see Fischer quoted correctly regarding White's plan in the Yugoslav; I recently watched a bit of a video by Eugene Perelshteyn ("Destroy White with the AD" or some such) in which he botched it.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 05/05/14 at 16:02:10
Post Tools
TD wrote on 05/05/14 at 11:47:17:

The introduction says the most popular open sicilian is the Dragon...what does it mean by popular?  Cheesy

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #22 - 05/05/14 at 11:47:17
Post Tools

IP Logged

PANFR

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 05/05/14 at 11:01:50
Post Tools
My understanding is that the book is a little strange in its srtructure, but this is not necessarily a bad thing.
On the Bind he suggests the old Gurgenidze mainline (...a6 and ...Qa5 instead of ...a5) and it mainly uses games by Gusseinov. My feel, as a longtime AD player, is that these lines are viable, but a bit depressing to play OTB- especially the line you have to sac the exchange at d8.
And against the traditional Nc3/Bc4 attacking scheme, he advocates the Uogele variation instead of the solid ...Qa5 lines. The Uogele ends up to a nice mess of a position if white plays f2-f3, but in the case white castles short, my belief is that Black is struggling to equalize (good pawnstucture, but some nasty queenside weaknesses). What's his suggestion after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cd4 4.Nxd4 g6 5.Nc3 (5.Be3 Nf6!- else white may achieve a Maroczy with Black unable to enter the Gurgenidze) Bg7 6.Be3 Nf6 7.Bc4 (my belief is that the right approach against 7.Nxc6 bc6 8.e5 is rather the pawn sac 8...Nd5 and not 8...Ng8, which is the universal recommendation- I won't disclose why I don't trust 8...Ng8 much, though) 7...0-0 8.Bb3 a5 9.0-0(!) a4 10.Nxa4 Nxe4. I think Black has trouble achieving equality here- what mr. Lalic is advocating?

IP Logged

Sniper
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 05/04/14 at 18:03:22
Post Tools
I don't understand why everymanchess don't put the extract on the web
Huh

IP Logged

Peter Lalic
YaBB Newbies

Reply #19 - 05/04/14 at 15:05:16
Post Tools
Scarblac wrote on 05/04/14 at 14:26:41:
"De Beste Zet" says there is also some coverage of anti-Sicilians in the book, but I don't see that on the Everyman site. Is there?

And another question -- what kind of plan against the Maroczy does the book cover?

Hopefully the contents should answer both of those questions:

1 The Main Line: Yugoslav Attack Attempts 11
2 The Main Line: 7 Bc4  43
3 The Main Line: Classical Variation  70
4 White Deviations  95
5 Maróczy Bind: Strategic Ideas  110
6 Maróczy Bind: Gurgenidze Variation  136

The chapter on White Deviations covers all of White's plausible alternatives on moves 5 and 7 of the Mainline.

The Gurgenidze variation is designed to trade as many minor pieces as possible, thereby neutralising our space disadvantage.

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #18 - 05/04/14 at 14:26:41
Post Tools
"De Beste Zet" says there is also some coverage of anti-Sicilians in the book, but I don't see that on the Everyman site. Is there?

And another question -- what kind of plan against the Maroczy does the book cover?

IP Logged

Peter Lalic
YaBB Newbies

Reply #17 - 05/03/14 at 10:02:22
Post Tools
TD wrote on 05/01/14 at 08:10:02:
Everyman says that it has uploaded an extract, but I can't seem to find it?!

I just asked my editor, who says that an extract should be uploaded this week to Amazon, where there are already a dozen sellers stocking the book.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo