Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Recent Paulsen/Kan Book by Delchev/Semkov (Read 9874 times)
Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Recent Paulsen/Kan Book by Delchev/Semkov
Reply #8 - 01/14/15 at 21:38:37
Post Tools
Can anyone give a short overview how the Taimanov lines in this book compare to the ones given by Emms in his Move by move book? That would be much appreciated ...
I consider getting this book since I can't get my hands on the safest sicilian ...

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #7 - 10/16/14 at 11:09:44
Post Tools
I liked the book very much. I really liked the concept of the book with we need to know section and a theoretical section.
After reading this book I switched my main defence to Taimanov.

This book also made my change my white repertour vs Taimanov.
I used to play g3 system but this books covered two lines and the alternative suggestion of a6 Bg2 h5 !? looks very interesting for black.

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 09/29/14 at 11:56:00
Post Tools
Can anyone who has read this book comment on whether it's any good or not? Thank you.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #5 - 05/09/14 at 21:53:41
Post Tools
Judging only from the excerpt, it looks as though there is a lot of overlap with their previous books The Safest Sicilian (first and second editions).  Since this is a different book and not a third edition of that one, it's too bad that they didn't stick entirely to new lines, i.e. a pure Kan and Paulsen repertoire, with none of the "Taimanov" stuff (or as little as possible).  Ignoring the confusion over the names of these systems, I wish we'd see coverage of 7 or 8...b5 in the Taimanov main line instead of 7.0-0 Nf6 8.Be3 Bb4, for instance.

Anyway it looks interesting, and I see that it gives 3.c3 d5 instead of 3...Nf6 like The Safest Sicilian; I prefer 3...d5.  So all in all I'll probably end up buying it, as I play this entire Taimanov/Paulsen/Kan complex as Black.

IP Logged

nestor

Reply #4 - 05/09/14 at 17:53:01
Post Tools
I have the book and I can confirm that it follows the usual Chess Stars format; indeed in each section there are separate "Step by Step" sub-chapters for the Taimanov and Kan move orders. The "Main Ideas" chapters give clear comments on the advantages and disadvantages of each move order against White's main plans. After a few day's reading I'm very impressed and can happily recommend the book to all fellow ...e6 Sicilian players.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #3 - 05/09/14 at 16:17:12
Post Tools
Ahh, my mistake, I didn't realize that there was another one from them.  I'll check it out, thanks!

IP Logged

mangler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 05/09/14 at 16:04:38
Post Tools
Latest book is called "The Most Flexible Sicilian". Here is a link to the excerpt.

http://www.chess-stars.com/resources/Flexible_intro.pdf

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #1 - 05/09/14 at 15:56:03
Post Tools
???  I have the second edition, and the layout is the same as the first, it still has the Quick Repertoire, etc.  A few lines are changed and there is more material now.  I don't understand what you're complaining about. 

I'm talking about The Safest Sicilian, 2nd Edition.  Maybe you've got it confused with something else....?

I'm one of the few people who didn't like the layout in the first one (I thought it just wasted space to have a Quick Repertoire and then repeat the lines again in the Step by Step section), but I'm looking at my copy right now and it's all still there.

IP Logged

zen_learner
YaBB Newbies

Be nice to others!

Recent Paulsen/Kan Book by Delchev/Semkov
05/09/14 at 11:28:31
Post Tools
I have just received my copy and, unfortunately, I believe the book is a lot worse than even the original 'The safest Sicilian' (A great book). Perhaps cramming too much on one book was wrong, but the lay out feels confusing.

Gone is the clear 'Introduction' 'Step by Step' and 'Complete Games' which allowed me to play the Paulsen/Taimanov quickly by just browsing the book.

A pity since most publishers tend to get better...

Ok, to be precise, the lay out tries to be there, but fails miserably.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo