Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Can Fritz estimate my Elo rating? Yes. (Read 47559 times)
RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Can Fritz estimate my Elo rating? Yes.
Reply #41 - 06/07/14 at 11:42:55
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 06/06/14 at 21:04:06:
(The UK national teams for instance imposed nothing being switched on in the playing area.).

That is, or possibly was, the standard for all UK tournaments. Many UK leagues or clubs were prepared to be more lenient, not about using the phone whilst the game was in progress, but  in not penalising someone who had forgotten to totally switch it off, with the loss of the game.

The FIDE anti-cheating committee have come up with the bizarre idea for "amateur" tournaments that it's OK to have a switched off phone or device in your possession as long as it isn't hidden in your luggage or a pocket.

Outside of the USA, offering large prizes to weaker players is uncommon. It's not really surprising that can tempt dubious or unethical behaviour or even outright cheating. From a UK perspective the CCA guidelines miss out a very obvious point, being that there shouldn't be an expectation in the first place that you can use a phone to receive or even send messages whilst playing.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #40 - 06/07/14 at 09:26:34
Post Tools
I was told once that tournaments couldn't take people's phones because they don't have the insurance to protect them against claims that a phone got lost or damaged. Otherwise, I have no problem surrendering my phone at the start of a round.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #39 - 06/07/14 at 08:44:47
Post Tools

I guess this would just work like the cloakroom at a nightclub. Hand in yer stuff at the door, get a ticket, sign for it.
Dancing optional.

MartinC wrote on 06/06/14 at 21:04:06:
Turned up on the English chess forum that and iirc it did get passed - nothing electronic in the playing area at all allowed - but with very considerable ambiguity as to the punishment.

Actually sufficiently so to allow for it to be nothing if that's desired.

Some sort of slightly messed up compromise to keep worried people from sundry countries happy while also making it possible to hold events in Europe etc.
(The UK national teams for instance imposed nothing being switched on in the playing area.).

So probably no big change, but you'll have to check the details of entry forms.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 06/06/14 at 21:04:06
Post Tools
Turned up on the English chess forum that and iirc it did get passed - nothing electronic in the playing area at all allowed - but with very considerable ambiguity as to the punishment.

Actually sufficiently so to allow for it to be nothing if that's desired.

Some sort of slightly messed up compromise to keep worried people from sundry countries happy while also making it possible to hold events in Europe etc.

So probably no big change, but you'll have to check the details of entry forms.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #37 - 06/06/14 at 19:58:00
Post Tools
Someone on facebook mentioned that Fide is about to (or already has?) change the cell-phone rule, instead of losing if it rings, phones won't be allowed at all.

Anyone know if this is true? It sounds more logical, but also impractical...

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 06/06/14 at 19:13:44
Post Tools
The big american opens with (I believe?) big prizes for the low sections are certainly horribly exposed to cheating. Very much more so than higher level events.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #35 - 06/06/14 at 18:55:53
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 06/06/14 at 14:45:26:
They can disagree all they like, I stand by what I said.

In other words, it's not a big problem to you.  Noted.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #34 - 06/06/14 at 17:17:16
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 06/06/14 at 15:14:20:
I've seen Russians chatting openly with each other about their games in local tournaments, thinking that nobody could understand them.

You need to make a difference between Russian speaking people and Russians. It is not the same. I can know as I am married with a Russian. Smiley
However I have to admit that the situation which you describe is unfortunately familiar to me: http://schaken-brabo.blogspot.be/2012/07/afgesproken-resultaat-in-open-gent-of.h...
It was quite shocking to see just after the resignation how the loser in a happy mood was showing to his opponent how he could win quicker. They spoke Russian assuming nobody could understand. I've never seen a grandmaster so happy after losing in the last round with white in just 26 moves with mate.  Organizers didn't dare to act as there was no firm proof and neither they wanted to make bad publicity to upset their sponsor.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #33 - 06/06/14 at 16:00:18
Post Tools
I believe there is a lot more cheating going on than some people wish to acknowledge.

I think it is rampant in u/2000 sections in which money is on the line.  In the USA there have been numerous people caught even down on the scholastic level.

The USA largest tournament organizer now creating new rules for their tournaments regarding electronic devices and at recent Chicago Open they would not allow people to take electronic devices into bathrooms.

Not sure how effective it really is since people were still going up to their rooms while their game was in progress and I even saw one person in the Skittles room analysing a game while their own game was in progress in the main hall!

There was also someone with a laptop running chess analysis sitting in the main hall (in the back away from the boards, but still) and it took TD's almost 30 minutes to realize this!

here is link to CCA new electronics policy.

http://www.chesstour.com/devices.htm

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #32 - 06/06/14 at 15:29:21
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 06/06/14 at 15:14:20:
I've seen Russians chatting openly with each other about their games in local tournaments, thinking that nobody could understand them.

That's where you need a hard line arbiter to tell them to stop or risk being defaulted. As the Laws of Chess for over the board play forbid you to consult about the game in progress, if you are talking to someone in a language not understood by the arbiter or other players, an arbiter could justify a hard line.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #31 - 06/06/14 at 15:14:20
Post Tools
I've seen Russians chatting openly with each other about their games in local tournaments, thinking that nobody could understand them. But yeah, today's occasional cheat will be very difficult to catch.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #30 - 06/06/14 at 15:06:47
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 06/06/14 at 10:27:37:
Nowadays the temptation to nip into the toilets and quickly analyse a critical position with Fritz on your phone is surely too great for the dishonest, and very difficult to detect.

It's really not that difficult to notice that your opponent isn't present at the Board or visible somewhere in the playing area, particularly when it's their move. It isn't a cheating accusation as such, but players should be warned that being invisible for much of the game might be regarded as dubious behaviour and invite accusations.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #29 - 06/06/14 at 14:45:26
Post Tools
They can disagree all they like, I stand by what I said.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #28 - 06/06/14 at 14:20:08
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 06/04/14 at 16:28:05:
As I said before, cheating is not a big problem in chess, and what little there is of it we will eliminate in due course. Lifetime bans should be implemented in the meantime to make sure it is simply not worth risking for anybody.

Nigel Short and Morozevich--and perhaps, privately, the distinguished members of Anand's "human cluster"-- might disagree. Not that I favor the creation of a chess NSA.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #27 - 06/06/14 at 14:15:00
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 06/04/14 at 16:28:05:
As I said before, cheating is not a big problem in chess...

I don't think that we know the magnitude of the problem.  It may be almost nonexistent at local clubs where there is no money on the line and no chance for norms, but at larger events?  I don't think anyone knows, though we have had some high profile cases, so it certainly exists.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo