Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Can Fritz estimate my Elo rating? Yes. (Read 30952 times)
ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Re: Can Fritz estimate my Elo rating? Yes.
Reply #56 - 06/08/14 at 18:12:26
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 06/08/14 at 16:11:05:
I don't understand why a smart guy like you doesn't understand the fuss. Smiley

I'm probably too American but I don't see why an organizer should be required to protect someone's personal property.  Would it be a nice service to the players, and perhaps attract more?  Of course.  But a requirement seems ridiculous.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #55 - 06/08/14 at 17:06:56
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 06/08/14 at 16:52:13:
(Where less severe can seemingly mean nothing.).

It can be difficult to get arbiters to confirm this.

Organisers seem to be carrying on as if nothing has changed. The recently published entry form for a UK Congress due to take place in October notes :-

Players entering the tournament agree to abide by the FIDE Laws of Chess and the decisions of the controllers, which will be final. , but also

A player whose mobile phone sounds during a game will forfeit the game.

which clearly implies that there isn't a penalty just for possessing a phone or electronic device.

If you have a rule which says that you lose if you have a mobile phone in your possession, why will potential players not vote with their feet and decline to enter competitions with such rules?

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #54 - 06/08/14 at 16:52:13
Post Tools
The 'fudge' to note in that chessbase competition is: "The rules of a competition may specify a different, less severe, penalty."
(Where less severe can seemingly mean nothing.).

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #53 - 06/08/14 at 16:27:24
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 06/08/14 at 15:53:53:
According to the new rules, we won't be able to take cell phones into the playing area anymore. That solves the issue of cell phones.

I take issue with ChessBase on at least one point

Our wishes have been met: the FIDE Laws of Chess that are expected to enter into force on 1 July 2014 introduce new provisions explicitly forbidding the use of external information during a game, and specify methods that may be used to inforce them. Specifically:

11.3.a During play the players are forbidden to use any notes, sources of information or advice, or analyze any game on another chessboard.

The wording of 11.3.a has always been there in some form or other. Admittedly ChessBase published a rather idiotic article that attempted to deny this.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #52 - 06/08/14 at 16:11:05
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 06/08/14 at 15:48:13:
I don't understand the fuss about storing cell phones.

I don't understand why a smart guy like you doesn't understand the fuss. Smiley

People have come to depend on their cell phones for communication, maybe even their calendars, tickets for public transport can be on apps etc. etc. Some players may come to the game directly from work, or live in some hostel or apartment instead of a hotel, take a bus or train or bike instead of a car... I've often done last-minute preparation on the bus or tram on my way to the game! Remember that ideally the same rules should apply to all games, from world championships to evening games at the local club.

There are of course no rules that require organizers to provide safe storage at present, but I don't see why there couldn't be. Not being able to bring a cell phone along would be an inconvenience to many players with no intention of cheating.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #51 - 06/08/14 at 15:53:53
Post Tools
I haven't seen this link mentioned yet, so I'll provide it:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/fide-on-anti-cheating-plans-and-proposals-3

According to the new rules, we won't be able to take cell phones into the playing area anymore. That solves the issue of cell phones.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #50 - 06/08/14 at 15:48:13
Post Tools
I don't understand the fuss about storing cell phones.  A tournament organizer is free to ban cell phones from the playing hall without providing any means of storage, aren't they?  Players can leave them at home, in their hotel room, with the front desk of the hotel, in their car, with their spouse...I don't see how it's the tournament director's responsibility.  Something like a cloak room would be a nice service, but certainly not required.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #49 - 06/08/14 at 14:09:09
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 06/08/14 at 10:58:03:
One idea could be that clubs and tournaments invest in some kind of shelf with lots of small lockable compartments - many schools have something similar for storing valuables during gym-class.

Absolutely agree with this. Sounds like a solution that doesn't have to get too expensive. And with this in place there's no excuse for having an electronic device switched on or off in or around the playing hall aymore - the rules could simply specify that if you're caught with one, you lose.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #48 - 06/08/14 at 11:33:24
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 06/08/14 at 08:50:21:
I simply don't take my phone to the tournament hall any more, why take the risk of it making a noise, or of someone accusing you that it went off (which has happened to others recently)?
A lot of players I spoke to at the Top12 last week also leave their phones in their hotel room.
The only problem is that when we went for our team meal after the match most of the players 'had' to get their phones first and check on all their messages.

As a professional chessplayer you normally get a hotel room and often even transport for free. Last years I never had a hotel so returned every day home often several hours driving.

Almost 10 years ago I played also in the Top12 and I fully agree that the hotelroom is in 99% sufficient to store the phones. Once I played in Paris and the hotel was at the other side of the town. As my future wife accompanied me at the trip (Paris so no surprise), it was just natural to keep the mobile with me.

We really have to make a distinction between professional and amateur chess. How to make an agreement when both players meet each other, is not easy, especially if there is no (extra) budget.

What I also often notice is that big clubs are able to pay their professional players but have nothing left for appropriate accommodation. I am today only playing in a pure amateur club and we have in most cases a much better accommodation than those clubs with their professional players.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #47 - 06/08/14 at 10:58:03
Post Tools
One idea could be that clubs and tournaments invest in some kind of shelf with lots of small lockable compartments - many schools have something similar for storing valuables during gym-class.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #46 - 06/08/14 at 10:26:44
Post Tools
Hotel rooms fine when possible yes, although often not. Cars are rather dodgier for the obvious reasons. Yes hide in boots, but once people know this is what chess players often do..... A rather obvious public target really.

Or if going by public transport, just no option. Public phones vanished by now of course and not really sensible to be without some means of contact.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #45 - 06/08/14 at 08:58:08
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 06/08/14 at 08:50:21:
A lot of players I spoke to at the Top12 last week also leave their phones in their hotel room.

That presumes you have a convenient hotel room. For many amateur players, they will be staying at home and commuting, in some cases after work. But even where you have a hotel room, you still have a problem with your luggage if you are unable to reach your hotel before play starts or if you are checking out on the morning of the last round or rounds.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #44 - 06/08/14 at 08:50:21
Post Tools
I simply don't take my phone to the tournament hall any more, why take the risk of it making a noise, or of someone accusing you that it went off (which has happened to others recently)?
The only problem is that when we went for our team meal after the match most of the players 'had' to get their phones first and check on all their messages.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #43 - 06/08/14 at 07:53:40
Post Tools
Why only 250? You're talking about storing 100+ mobile phones, many with replacement value of 5/600 pounds.....
(And a mass of fairly crucial personal data for a lot of people too.).

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #42 - 06/08/14 at 01:49:04
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 06/07/14 at 09:26:34:
I was told once that tournaments couldn't take people's phones because they don't have the insurance to protect them against claims that a phone got lost or damaged. Otherwise, I have no problem surrendering my phone at the start of a round.

No doubt but an insurance rider for this for a tournament would cost about $250  The organizer is already having to foot the bill for liability and personal injury insurance and this rider would be very small (most likely a lot less than I estimate).

So I feel that (insurance)is a real red herring here.

There is always the answer that seems true and then the answer that is true.

A realer reason is that organizer do not want to offend people and lose their entry fee.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo