Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Chinese Dragon by Raymond Pearson (Read 20977 times)
bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Re: The Chinese Dragon by Raymond Pearson
Reply #14 - 05/31/17 at 13:44:47
Post Tools
A bit of topic but related to the opening.

There is  book series called "Attacking chess 101" that shows attacking games and mistakes at 1800 elo and lower.
Vol 2 has a thematical chapter about Chinese Dragon.  In the first game in that chapter one of my old internet games are shown as a model games for black.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #13 - 05/25/15 at 23:47:39
Post Tools
Nordlandia wrote on 05/24/15 at 11:57:24:
Dragon is slightly worse than najdorf in my opinion.

Thing is though, this has little meaning on a theory site.
Why?
Variations plus opinions please!

IP Logged

Nordlandia
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 05/24/15 at 11:57:24
Post Tools
Dragon is slightly worse than najdorf in my opinion.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #11 - 01/14/15 at 22:28:16
Post Tools
ArKheiN wrote on 01/14/15 at 00:00:13:
brabo, I did like your website in english too. I did not check your analysis in depht but I noticed before your post that 14.Ndb5 is interesting. But did you look at 15.axb3 d5!? (Vigorito's anotation in his book, and it looks to be a good alternative), for example 16.exd5 Bxb5 17.Nxb5 Qa5 18.Nc3 Rb or Rf-d8, or 18.Na3 Nxd5 19.h4 Qc5. Ok this is still a "starting point" for analysis but it seems critical for the 14.Ndb5 line.

Thanks for the tip as 15...,d5 is new for me. I couldn't find any games with it in my databases and I don't have Vigorito's book.
I believe white has a small edge after 16.exd5 Bxb5 17.Nxb5 Qa5 18.Nc3 Rb or Rf-d8 due to 19.d6
also after 18. Na3 Nxd5 19.h4 Qc5 20.Rd2 (20.h5 Qe3+ leads to a slightly worse but defendable endgame.) Rbd8 21.h5 Qe7 22.Nc4 Nf4 23.Nd6 Rd7 24.g4 Rfd8 25.hxg6 fxg6 26. Ne4 and black still needs to solve some problems.

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #10 - 01/14/15 at 00:00:13
Post Tools
brabo, I did like your website in english too. I did not check your analysis in depht but I noticed before your post that 14.Ndb5 is interesting. But did you look at 15.axb3 d5!? (Vigorito's anotation in his book, and it looks to be a good alternative), for example 16.exd5 Bxb5 17.Nxb5 Qa5 18.Nc3 Rb or Rf-d8, or 18.Na3 Nxd5 19.h4 Qc5. Ok this is still a "starting point" for analysis but it seems critical for the 14.Ndb5 line.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #9 - 01/13/15 at 09:50:12
Post Tools
Very nice performance. I also believe this level of play is not possible in OTB even if you are absolute worldtop so copying ideas from correspondence into OTB contains some risks.

More than 10 years ago I was only able to draw against your opponent: http://tables.iccf.com/europe/eum/eu-m-1280.html One of the few draws in my (too) short correspondence-career. Of course in more than a decade correspondence-chess has changed quite a bit so it is very difficult or impossible to compare performances.

The analysis mentioned in my article are naturally only the short summary of the most critical lines. Much more was covered but keeping everything in the article just makes it unreadable (which probably is already now the case for some people). I guess best is to download the analysis and replay it with a GUI + engine in the background if you are interested.

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 01/13/15 at 09:16:35
Post Tools
Well, brabo, thanks for mentioning me in this article!
I really appreciate it, because I think your blog is one of the best chess blogs in the World Wide Web, especially since you started to publish your articles in English.
Just to say that the the early 10...Na5 (without 10...Rb8) and 11...Nxb3 12.cxb3! doesn't bring any good for black as seen in many correspondence chess games. White has a stable advantage which can be turned into a win in the today's correspondence chess. Here is my experience as a first player:

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #7 - 01/12/15 at 20:15:02
Post Tools
An extensive analysis has been published of below 2 variations in the Chinese Dragon on my blog: http://chess-brabo.blogspot.be/2015/01/details.html

I can be wrong but I don't think this was discussed on chesspub before and looks to me critical for the evaluation of the opening.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 06/29/14 at 17:40:27
Post Tools
Koji wrote on 06/18/14 at 14:57:14:
The book description bills him as one of the top correspodence players, but the only OTB info I can find is this FIDE profile:

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=1803018

He is also on the ECF grading list and has been for many years.
http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk/new/menu.php?PlayerCode=285030J&file=player
For those unfamiliar with it, the ECF grading scale approximately equates 175 to an Elo of 2000.

He played in this year's 4NCL 3rd division.

Here's one of his games.

The material promoting the book describes him as a top player at an internet site, but doesn't say which one.

There's a website as well
http://www.sicilianchinesedragon.com/

A preview of the book is at http://www.sicilianchinesedragon.com/book-preview

That preview tries to explain the reasoning behind standard moves like Kb1 and Na5. If you already know these are normal candidate moves in many sharp Sicilian positions, the book isn't telling you anything you don't know. To judge from the chapter headings, he's just describing the standard punts against the Dragon. The more sophisticated of his audience already know these and want to know whether they work or not.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 06/20/14 at 19:36:36
Post Tools
Thanks for finding that. Now i just have to figure out how to use the Archive  Smiley

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Swiss_Dragon

Reply #4 - 06/20/14 at 08:17:52
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 06/19/14 at 18:58:53:
I remember Chessville reviewed the book but am not sure if it was favourable.

Chessville's website is not active anymore, but you can find it with the way back machine, see http://web.archive.org/web/20130120030233/http://www.chessville.com/reviews/TheC...
The review recommends the book "to anyone, who has the dragon in his repertoire". He complains about the bad printing, however.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 06/19/14 at 18:58:53
Post Tools
I remember Chessville reviewed the book but am not sure if it was favourable.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

bearheart
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #2 - 06/19/14 at 12:05:27
Post Tools
It appears that his highest rating was 1944, but that he is now in the high 1800's.  Below are the results of a search I entered:

The Chinese Dragon - by Raymond Pearson. The Chinese Dragon refers to the chess position shown here, where Black has just played 10...
[Search domain www.sicilianchinesedragon.com] sicilianchinesedragon.com

The Fighting Dragon - Part 7: The Chinese Dragon - Chess Videos - Chess.com
I viewed this video and then bought the excellent book on the Chinese Dragon by Raymond Pearson. We are working hard to make Chess.com available in over 70 languages.
[Search domain www.chess.com] chess.com

Raymond Pearson @SicilianChinese - Twitter. Author of the chess book The Chinese Dragon and audio volunteer for the Braille Chess Association.
[Search domain ppfinder.com] ppfinder.com

The Four Nations Chess League Rounds 3-4 (2014) - Chess-DB.com
Browse chess games played in the tournament The Four Nations Chess League. Participants. 1803018. Raymond Pearson. 1944. 0.

Intriguing.  Has anyone else found out anything more?  Being a lower B player I withhold any judgements. 

IP Logged

MNb
YaBB Moderator

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 06/18/14 at 15:57:54
Post Tools
ICCF doesn't know Raymond Pearson, I just checked.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Koji
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

The Chinese Dragon by Raymond Pearson
06/18/14 at 14:57:14
Post Tools
As far as I can tell, there's been no mention in this forum of this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1780882181

Any thoughts? My first question would be who this Raymond Pearson guy is really. The book description bills him as one of the top correspodence players, but the only OTB info I can find is this FIDE profile:

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=1803018

and if that's him, I 'd be very sceptical of the analysis.

Material on the chinese is quite scarce - is this worth it?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo