Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Karjakin - Carlsen FIDE World Rapid 2014 (Read 3597 times)
Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Re: Karjakin - Carlsen FIDE World Rapid 2014
Reply #2 - 07/02/14 at 19:18:54
Post Tools
Hopefully Chris Ward will get round to taking a look at this high-level (albeit rapid) game. Meanwhile Dennis Monokroussos has published it with quite extensive notes at 'The Chess Mind' website.

IP Logged

OrangeCounty

You played that like it
was a good move!

Re: Karjakin - Carlsen FIDE World Rapid 2014
Reply #1 - 07/01/14 at 18:22:50
Post Tools
I was happy to see this game because it headed down the "old" Dragon rabbit hole into the Soltis variation, which seems to have become less topical.

13 Bg5 Rc5 was the old theoretical recommendation as far back as the 90's at least, although there is an array of options and White often goes Bg5-h6 anyway.  On the other hand, if Black isn't going to answer Bh6 with ...Bh8, why waste a tempo on 14...Re8?  I assume the computers will dislike both 15 .... a5 and 16 a4, which look way too slow to this former Dragon player.

These are some non-computer thoughts, I'll plug it in when I get home.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021

Karjakin - Carlsen FIDE World Rapid 2014
06/20/14 at 15:19:37
Post Tools
While  dont have access to a decent computer or a decent engine since is a swedish holiday right now and I while I also dont use Dragon as main weapon anymore I think we can discuss this game.
I dont give any detailed analys becouse of I can only use a very old machine with too low ply.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo