Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Anti-Moscow Variation with 7.e3 (not 7.e4) (Read 4399 times)
Karpoved
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Anti-Moscow Variation with 7.e3 (not 7.e4)
Reply #7 - 09/16/14 at 13:25:00
Post Tools
According to Mega Database 2014, 7.e3 has 178 games with white's score being 35.4%, in comparison to 7.e4, which has 1896 games with a score of 53.0% for white.

It seems 7.e4 is the overwhelming favorite, being played by all the top players (Anand, Topalov), although the question is, why?

The engines would offer no help as Stockfish 5 recommends both 7.e3 and 7.a4 as top choices after at least a minute of thought, this is strange considering the statistics in human play. An obvious conclusion could be drawn that we are not engines and in practice these moves may not work so well.

I would think from looking over a few high-level games that 7.e4 is preferred overwhelmingly to 7.e3 because it is more challenging towards the center. White gains space in the center to compensate for the lost pawn. Also, in many games Black has to surrender the pawn to reduce the massive dynamic counter-play White receives from it.

It seems 7.e3 is too passive and not enough to compensate for the lost pawn, black follows up with 7...b5 and a pinning of the c3 Knight via Bb4. Most games end up with Black's pawn advantage on the queenside being decisive.

A few example games to show the ideas,

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 06/24/14 at 21:19:58
Post Tools
Reed wrote on 06/24/14 at 19:57:48:
I mean to say that 7.e3 looks like a reasonable way to play, so it's strange that my literature on the Moscow Variation doesn't cover it (Dreev, Paulsen, Vigorito, chesspublishing.com PDFs, etc). I've come across it in enough games now that I'm looking for some theory/commentary on it.

You may well find that authors have concentrated on 7. e4, so as to show their erudition in the really messy positions that can sometimes result.

Has it ever featured in the New in Chess Yearbook? They give coverage of less well known lines from time to time.

Otherwise it might be a case of collecting games in these positions and trying to solve the theory for yourself.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #5 - 06/24/14 at 20:40:03
Post Tools
Um, color me skeptical that the odd-looking (8. a4 Bb4 9. Nd2 Bb7) 10. a5 is an improvement on the old book moves 10. ab or 10. Be2!? ...

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 06/24/14 at 19:59:33
Post Tools
Here some black wins from the correspondence chess in the recent years:

All of these games continue with 7... b5!, of course..  Wink

IP Logged

Reed
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 06/24/14 at 19:57:48
Post Tools
RdC wrote on 06/24/14 at 17:03:17:
Reed wrote on 06/24/14 at 16:39:29:
It's apparently so dubious that none of my repertoire books cover it.

It's been played a few times with the variation you quote being one of the more popular tries. You've got a position where Black has grabbed a pawn, but isn't yet anywhere near winning. The game just continues, so it's a case of searching a database for ideas tried in practice.

Sorry, I'm still figuring out this whole "humor" thing.

I mean to say that 7.e3 looks like a reasonable way to play, so it's strange that my literature on the Moscow Variation doesn't cover it (Dreev, Paulsen, Vigorito, chesspublishing.com PDFs, etc). I've come across it in enough games now that I'm looking for some theory/commentary on it.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #2 - 06/24/14 at 17:14:17
Post Tools
I wonder how dubious it is; in some older general books (ECO, NCO and Pachman) it was thought to be unclear or "with compensation" with best play.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 06/24/14 at 17:03:17
Post Tools
Reed wrote on 06/24/14 at 16:39:29:
It's apparently so dubious that none of my repertoire books cover it.

It's been played a few times with the variation you quote being one of the more popular tries. You've got a position where Black has grabbed a pawn, but isn't yet anywhere near winning. The game just continues, so it's a case of searching a database for ideas tried in practice.

IP Logged

Reed
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Anti-Moscow Variation with 7.e3 (not 7.e4)
06/24/14 at 16:39:29
Post Tools
When I'm playing the Moscow Variation as Black, White sometimes avoids the main line Anti-Moscow by playing 7.e3 instead of 7.e4. It's apparently so dubious that none of my repertoire books cover it. What do you play against this? Here are some typical lines:

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo