Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Qa5 line (Read 26943 times)
Ludde

So much theory..so little
time

Re: Qa5 line
Reply #13 - 07/07/14 at 01:04:33
Post Tools
Just as an update I have taken a look and found nothing inspiring. It seems that in the critical line with Kb1 and h4 blacks best shot is to play h5. The idea then (just to clarify: 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cd4 4.Nd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 0-0 8.Qd2 Nc6 9.Bc4 Bd7 10.0-0-0 Qa5 11.h4 Rfc8 12.Bb3 Ne5 13.Kb1 h5) would be to counter whites usual 14.Bg5 with 14..Kf8 which at least gets out of the way for Bb3 and removes Nd5xe7/f6 with check. Still after looking with some assistance from an engine I have no faith in blacks position here either. After moving around the pieces for a while I have a hard time finding a single line where Qa5 is more of an asset than a liability. The queen threatens little, and is expposed to discovered atttacks/exchange by Nd5. Black often seems forced to go for Rxc3 in positions where I deeply mistrust the compensation...I had very little knowledge of this line since before and could well be unsufficiently familiar with the ideas to analyse efficiently, but it seems it is not for me.

« Last Edit: 07/07/14 at 18:46:13 by MNb »  

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #12 - 06/29/14 at 14:07:02
Post Tools
In addition to that the 13.Kb1 variation, I don't think Black is doing very well in the 13.g4 variation either.  Perhaps it's more complicated though.

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #11 - 06/29/14 at 09:52:46
Post Tools
I remember some years ago I was playing a critical round to get the first place of a local open. I was Black against a solid 2200. My normal repertoire is the Accelerated Dragon but I thought it may be hard to unbalance the position to play for a win if he is solid. After the game I understood I should have play normally and let him play for a win, and let him unbalance the game in a way I know well. I made a quick preparation for some days as Black with WWTDII and other sources where I thought my repertoire was ok. And my opponent went for the quick h4!+ 13.Kb1! where there is 13..b5 14.Ncxb5! etc (deep analysis required). Instead I had prepared 13..Nc4 and after 14.Bxc4 Rxc4 15.Nb3! Qc7 (other moves exists) I was prepared against 16.Bd4 or g4 which is often recommanded. My opponent went for the direct 16.h5!? which I didn't find in books, and after the classical 16..Rxc3 17.Qxc3 Qxc3 18.bxc3 Nxh5, my opponent played 19.Bd4 and there is not so many games in databases, statistics are even quite good for Black, but I had a very bad impression of struggling for survive without fun while playing it, and lost badly. I won't play this line ever, when you know that the guy got a good position even with a "not recommanded line".

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 06/28/14 at 18:27:57
Post Tools
I thought the refutation involved an early Kb1 and a Bg5, Nd5 line? Guess there are several lines in this variation that leave black with little of the direct counterplay he craves in this opening.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #9 - 06/28/14 at 18:11:14
Post Tools
I dont remember the exackt move order by as I recall it was based on this idea

EDIT maybee h5 was also inserted also Ward did not cover the refutation

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 06/28/14 at 16:36:12
Post Tools
Ludde wrote on 06/28/14 at 15:53:45:
It seems crucial to me if the rook on a8 has any time to get useful.

If you go back to the 1960s, it was the idea of playing Rfc8 that was the novelty, in place of what might seem normal for non-Dragon positions of Rac8. Given that whichever rook it is, it is likely to take on c3, does it make a difference? There was said to be a variation, probably forgotten, where escaping with Kf8 would be useful. Kf8 was played in the Nunn-Ward ending, but as pointed out, that can be avoided with an immediate .. Rxc3 against h5. There aren't very many games testing the effect of having the Rook on f8, One other tactical point is the Bh6 is more likely to force an exchange of Bishops, given that .. Bh8 is less likely if it sacrifices the f8 Rook.

There's one recorded game (from Cuba in 1967) where White tried the Nd5 trick to get the ending. With a Rook on f8, you can calmly defend the e7 pawn with Re8, so Black is better placed to defend the h7 pawn as well.

IP Logged

Ludde

time

Reply #7 - 06/28/14 at 15:53:45
Post Tools
Thanks a lot everyone. I'm taking a look at this line to see if it could possibly be viable for CC play. there has been a few CC games in recent years, and white is scoring quite well, but not devastatingly so. On the other hand it is not the CC elite who plays it (with either color). Logically it seems that black enrolls more pieces in the counterattack than in the regular lines, but as a consequence also fewer pieces in the defence. It seems crucial to me if the rook on a8 has any time to get useful. Such reasoning can at best be a hint, but in these kind of lines everything comes down to specific anyway. If I find anything I like which seems to contradict the general consensus (doesn't seems particularly likely, but if you don't try it never happens) I'll post it here.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #6 - 06/28/14 at 15:11:14
Post Tools
To get even more historical, this all takes me back to David Levy's The Sicilian Dragon from the 1970s.  The first edition said that MNb's line with Kb1 and Bg5 "appears to be quite devastating."  As I recall, in the second edition Black had taken the sting out of that with 13...Rc5, but the line with Kb1 and h4 was considered quite strong.  Kb1 and h4 was considered slightly better for White in some books from the 1990s and 2000s, including NCO (1999), in which Gallagher cited that Nunn-Ward game as unclear.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 06/28/14 at 13:35:15
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 06/28/14 at 12:48:24:
In RdC's game 13.Kb1 is considered best indeed. Black has tried a lot of lines: Nc4 (b5 14.Ncxb5) 14.Bxc4 Rxc4 15.Nb3 and now Qa6, Qc7, Qd8 and Qe5 all have been played.

I think this has been known for a while. Back in 1991, I played exactly that sequence, facing 15. .. Qd8. The problem for Black is that 16. e5 Ne8 17. h5 is dangerous because of the tactical weakness of the Bd7. Personal notes to my own game, written at the time, mention the old 1980s Miles & Moskow book. The 1991 game continued 17 .. Bxe5 18. hxg6 hxg6 19. Bd4. Black now plays an almost forced exchange sacrifice with 19. .. Rxd4 and with the position now quiet, does Black have enough? Engines think not.

The first edition of Ward's book recommends .. b5 rather than .. Nc4, but just taking the pawn now seems good for White.

It can be illuminating to revisit these older tactical sequences with the aid of the engine, but when they don't end in mate or serious material loss, you still have the problem of assessing the resulting positions which are likely to be imbalanced as Black has probably sacrificed the exchange.

So is that the verdict? The Qa5 and Rfc8 plan doesn't lead to complete disaster, but the best it offers, assuming accurate tactics, is being a bit worse in an unbalanced ending

IP Logged

MNb
YaBB Moderator

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 06/28/14 at 12:48:24
Post Tools
In RdC's game 13.Kb1 is considered best indeed. Black has tried a lot of lines: Nc4 (b5 14.Ncxb5) 14.Bxc4 Rxc4 15.Nb3 and now Qa6, Qc7, Qd8 and Qe5 all have been played.
Even better might be 11.Bb3 Rfc8 12.Kb1 Ne5 13.Bg5 with the same idea Nc4 14.Bxc4 Rxc4 15.Nb3
I'm afraid you'll have to search your database for model games.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

FightingDragon

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #3 - 06/28/14 at 11:05:24
Post Tools
You might not have read WWTD2, for Chris has an improvement over the quoted game (13. ... Rc3:!) which makes black look alright.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 06/28/14 at 08:23:12
Post Tools
Ludde wrote on 06/28/14 at 04:32:39:
Apparently it is considered more or less refuted, but I have had some trouble finding the exact refutation.

The line played in Nunn v Ward at Hastings around fifteen years ago might be it, or at least enough to discourage repeats. White plays all the normal moves, up to and including the sacrifice of the pawn on h5. Waiting moves like Kb1 aren't used. But with the Knight no longer covering the d5 square, White simply plays Nd5 himself. I suppose a Queen retreat is possible, but the attack looks strong. After the Queen exchange, you can regain the sacrificed pawn by doubling rooks on the h file.

Players don't generally employ the Dragon to search for improvements in slightly dubious endings.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 06/28/14 at 06:31:36
Post Tools
I can't remember if there is a "refutation", but I know I have looked at some games with a quick Kb1 after long castle, followed by Nd5. Sorry, no more detail than that (I don't play 1. e4 as White, as you know).

But someone here should of course have more detail than that (probably you too...)

IP Logged

Ludde

time

Qa5 line
06/28/14 at 04:32:39
Post Tools
I have seen several posts referring to Ward's 2 dragon books advocating Qa5 + Rfc8 vs the Yugoslav attack. Apparently it is considered more or less refuted, but I have had some trouble finding the exact refutation. I would be most grateful if anyone could point out which lines are considered to kill this line for black - preferrably with references to the model games if possible. I have taken a look at the playable e-book section, but can't say I can make it out from there. Any help appreciated!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo