Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Resources/options to face the English as Black (Read 3660 times)
SteelyDanIII

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Resources/options to face the English as Black
Reply #6 - 07/20/14 at 19:02:15
Post Tools
The DVD Meet the English Opening in 60 minutes by Bojkov has a nice coverage of the Reversed Dragon, which is an excellent way of meeting 1.c4. The downside is that 1.Nf3 can't be met in the same way.

IP Logged

Aziridine

Reply #5 - 07/02/14 at 23:08:20
Post Tools
I'll plug Eingorn's A Rock-Solid Opening Repertoire for Black. He covers the Symmetrical English for Black very briefly (there's not much detail except in the Anti-Benoni lines) but makes a lot of practical suggestions. Watson's Mastering the Chess Openings 3 also has some interesting insights. And as always, the coverage on this site is excellent.

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #4 - 07/02/14 at 20:54:43
Post Tools
Thx to all of you, I will check Palliser work.

PD: The new forum look&feel seems strange to me Sad

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #3 - 07/01/14 at 13:31:59
Post Tools
I like Palliser's book too.

IP Logged

TD

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #2 - 07/01/14 at 09:53:20
Post Tools

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #1 - 07/01/14 at 09:52:13
Post Tools
You could do worse than use Richard Palliser's "Beating Unusual Chess Openings", which has a symmetric English repertoire for black (particularly good if you play the sicilian and can just play 1.Nf3 c5). Personally, I feel that the symmetrical is a "threat" that white hopes black will not execute (perhaps due to a fear of dull positions) when he plays 1.c4. That thought always makes me feel good about playing 1.c4 c5.

If you want a principled, but not too extensive, 1.c4 e5 repertoire, there's for example the Bojkov's Chessbase videos on that (but 1.Nf3 will then allow white to kick you out of these lines).

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Resources/options to face the English as Black
07/01/14 at 09:08:09
Post Tools
Hi,

Just finished a weekend tournament (7 rounds in three days) and I found myself a little unprepared to face the English Opening. I played as Black 2 symmetrical games in the English against a hard opposition and I got a little lost, even if I saved one game (draw) and lost the other because my bishop get trapped (beginner mistake  Undecided) in the late middlegame.

In the first game I face a closed game by White (1.c4 c5 2.Cc3 Cc6 3.g3 g6 4.Bg2 Bg7 5.a3 Nf6 6.Rb1 and b4 is coming) and I didn't manage it well enough. The second was a Fisher setup by White (g3-Bg2 followed by e3-Nge2), I didn't copy moves (I should, I think) to got a somewhat difficult position.

Any resources available recommended to face the symmetrical as Black? I know Dzindzi's "Chess Openings for Black Explained" has some coverage on it, but is it good? Other sources?

I always found the symmetrical was the most challenging way to meet the English but I am open to hear other possibilities also.

Thx in advance !! (and excuse me if this topic is covered elsewhere in the forum)

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo