Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Endgame training online (Read 8543 times)
tommyg
YaBB Newbies

Just pushing wood!

Re: Endgame training online
Reply #14 - 12/16/14 at 02:20:25
Post Tools
I just used the endgame feature on chessgames.com and created pgns of some of the basic endgame positions (as mentioned in 100 Endgames You Must Know)  And have just been practicing those (also trying to evaluate them to see if the game result was indeed correct)

IP Logged

chandrashekharkoravi

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 11/24/14 at 17:45:50
Post Tools
After making some videos in marathi.I made my first video in english.In this video series I will try to explain some position which I came across and found it intresting and instructive.I hope you like this videos -http://youtu.be/b3ALhNS5luI

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #12 - 07/15/14 at 15:06:46
Post Tools
As a complement to what you are searching for, I can recommend Mednis & Crouch Rate your Endgame book as it asks you to find the best move and gives you points depending on your answer. It is a good approximation of what you are looking for and has received praised from many people in this forum.

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

nocteus

'Help your pieces, they
will help you.' Morphy

Reply #11 - 07/15/14 at 14:08:13
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 07/14/14 at 06:21:49:
I'm wondering why you don't just play out endings (from the book of your choice) vs the computer.  Even if you play it out against a weak engine, it still seems like it might be more useful, especially if you analyze it afterwards and compare with the published analysis.

Once you know them, elementary and theoretical endings are interesting for overall and calculation training, but I am rather looking for tools to train strategical endgames, a bit à la Shereshevsky.

IP Logged

hicetnunc

"Do something scary every
day"

Reply #10 - 07/15/14 at 10:36:52
Post Tools
If you look for online training with human partners, and have an ICC account, I can heartily recommend Alex frentz's Endgame Club :

http://www.centralohiochess.com/Endgame-Club-2014.html

It's entirely free and fueled by the enthusiam of his founder (who is also a maths teacher). The idea is that you look at 20-25 fairly difficult selected endgame positions from textbooks in the week, and then play a blitz tournament where a couple of these positions are drawn.

Some people prepare very seriously, some don't, so it makes it a very realistic, fun and educational experience.

Highly recommended !  Smiley

48 yo, 1920 elo

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #9 - 07/14/14 at 11:42:16
Post Tools
Good point. I've done this too,  sometimes in conjunction with .cbm videos and currently with Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual.  I think training against the computer (without a coach) is difficult sometimes because it seems lonely, i.e. after a certain point you're on your own with no human author/opponent/ webmaster/community as partner. But in chess and life, it's an advantage to possess the initiative.

Another option is ChessOK's Panchenko course, now packaged as part of Total Endgame Training. This also gives rating feedback.
« Last Edit: 07/14/14 at 15:32:34 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #8 - 07/14/14 at 06:21:49
Post Tools
I'm wondering why you don't just play out endings (from the book of your choice) vs the computer.  Even if you play it out against a weak engine, it still seems like it might be more useful, especially if you analyze it afterwards and compare with the published analysis.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #7 - 07/13/14 at 05:26:33
Post Tools
It would be nice if Chesstempo had an unlimited-time standard mode for endgames, where you just had to win to get full credit. I mean, in real endgames they don't give out points for winning fast--in moves or in seconds. I still like this training tool, though.

IP Logged

nocteus

'Help your pieces, they
will help you.' Morphy

Reply #6 - 07/10/14 at 11:27:06
Post Tools
All right, I will try Chesstempo a bit longer. Chessendgames.com looks very interesting, while needing some improvements.
Thanks all for your advices!

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #5 - 07/10/14 at 10:13:18
Post Tools
In your place I would not give up on ChessTempo yet. As you progress with your rating the system will start feeding you with more interesting problems (e.g. R and pawn vs. R). It has also all kind of difficult and not so practical endgames like QvsR or R+B vs R, which however though somewhat annoying, still do you good in terms of calculation & visualisation skills.

A tip for you: I am also annoyed with ChessTempo's 'Theory' section, but if you choose to solve problems under the 'Practice' section, you do not have to find the best move each time. You solve the problem and get a small penalty if you used 'extra' moves. Try this, it will help you focus on the practical aspect of this kind of training.

IP Logged

nocteus

'Help your pieces, they
will help you.' Morphy

Reply #4 - 07/09/14 at 16:24:20
Post Tools
Ok, a bit harsh on Chesstempo. But, as an example, I took the first problem, it proposed in the endgame training.

Is it really a relevant material imbalance? Do you really need a smyslovian technique to convert such an endgame, so as to spend hours of study on this position?

I had a clear idea : to approach the king on the dark squares to create a mating net. I went 1. Kg5 and the engine answered that it was imprecise since it takes now two more moves to checkmate the king...

I then reached this position,
and continued 3.Re6+ with the idea to restrict the black king more either repelling him on the last rank with Kf6 or boxing him on the kingside.

Computer pinned me for taking four more moves to checkmate... I checkmated the king but in the end I lost 25 elo-points...

Is this kind of precision useful in these positions? I do not think so.

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #3 - 07/09/14 at 12:18:00
Post Tools
nocteus wrote on 07/08/14 at 16:52:09:

The Chesstempo endgame training is a waste of time since ..., 2) it does not go beyond elementary positions with extremely reduced material (no strategical or complex endgames here).

Waste of time? You are a bit harsh my friend. Elementary positions are important, not only for calculation and visualisation training, but also to improve your endgame skills! Ok one may have read e.g. about the Lucena position, but it is difficult to apply this flawlessly with all its intricacies and exceptions..

Your point on strategic endgames is valid and of course it is more difficult to create such a training tool. You could look for an endgame training (human) partner though..

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 07/09/14 at 10:29:09
Post Tools
You can always try other sites, for example chessendgames.com
There is a thread on this forum about it:
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1371220640/31#31
Wink

IP Logged

msiipola

Reply #1 - 07/09/14 at 08:33:54
Post Tools
Ok, you don't like Chesstempo's endgame puzzles.
I disagree.

I have created a custom set of endgame 3 move mates. At least I feel I improve my calculation and visualization. Hopefully this is not a waste of time. But who knows?

But I assume it depends on what you are seeking. I have not found any better endgame online training then Chesstempo.

IP Logged

nocteus

'Help your pieces, they
will help you.' Morphy

Endgame training online
07/08/14 at 16:52:09
Post Tools
In recent years, the amount of material available on the net has considerably increased. Added to the traditional articles, you have interactive websites to train your routine tactics (Chesstempo, ...). But what about endgames?

The Chesstempo endgame training is a waste of time since 1) it is built through engine evaluation and not a human one, 2) it does not go beyond elementary positions with extremely reduced material (no strategical or complex endgames here).

Have you got any decent link (let's say for someone who has already studied Averbakh 'Essential Chess Endings')?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo