Latest Updates:
Normal Topic desktop publishing (Read 2057 times)
GeneM

Tournament winner gets
two fun filled knights!

Re: desktop publishing
Reply #4 - 07/20/14 at 06:12:09
Post Tools
lobster wrote on 07/18/14 at 13:27:25:
thanks brabo, but I probably was not clear enough.. I meant to ask what is a good program for typesetting to print, like on actual paper in book or magazine form.

I write my chess books using Microsoft Word.
I have no limitations in any aspect: margins, page size, chess diagrams, fonts, images, etc.

Publishing is mostly free, although there is the ISBN expense (pricing is tricky), usually a one-time set up fee with my print supplier and distributor (approximately $100), and a minor $12 annual charge to keep my printer-supplier-distributor happy.

My first chess book through Ingram's "Lighting Source" subsidiary, by using POD (Print On Demand) to eliminate the drawbacks of carrying inventory.

Amazon.com immediately started ordering copies of my book, five at a time. Amazon accounts for a chunk of my sales, but I do not know where the other chunks go. A decade later and I still get monthly checks (little, but nonzero), even though I have no ongoing labor.

For my second chess book, which I am 80% done writing, I might switch to Amazon's CreateSpace unit for POD and distribution. When amazon first bought CreateSpace, Amazon demanded terrible fees etc, and people in the know avoided it like the plague and bad mouthed it on every author blog. Since then Amazon has given in and CreateSpace might be viable. But Ingram has served me well.
Ingram also offers to print books for me with the traditional press typeset approach. But I have not opted for that. I doubt that CreateSpace offers anything other than POD.

I looked into producing an ebook version to sell through Amazon.com, but it turns out to be more difficult and time consuming to produce an ebook than I might have imagined; especially for a chess book with diagrams etc. Presently I have put the ebook option out of my mind.

Thanks.
Gene Milener

GeneM , CastleLong.com , FRC-chess960
IP Logged

Igor

Schild und Schwert der
Partei!

Reply #3 - 07/18/14 at 13:56:42
Post Tools
in DTP there are two main programs: Quark Xpress and Adobe InDesign

IP Logged

lobster
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 07/18/14 at 13:27:25
Post Tools
thanks brabo, but I probably was not clear enough.. I meant to ask what is a good program for typesetting to print, like on actual paper in book or magazine form.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #1 - 07/17/14 at 17:34:29
Post Tools
Today I use on my blog mainly http://kvchess.com/publish.html if I want to publish a game. It is free and easy to use.

If you have Chessbase 12 then use the included publisher, see e.g. http://en.chessbase.com/post/web-publishing-with-chessbase-12-part-2-3. Buying Chessbase only for this feature, is an overkill as there exist free alternatives.

The disadvantage of the free kvchess.com is that only 1 game at once can be published. To publish multiple games, I already used twice http://chesstuff.blogspot.be/2008/11/chess-viewer-deluxe.html. First time I had some troubles to let it work on my blog as it took me some time to understand the code.

IP Logged

lobster
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

desktop publishing
07/17/14 at 15:35:54
Post Tools
what is a good program for desktop publishing? I am looking for a program where I can typeset a chess column and do the diagrams correctly from Chessbase. what do the book publishers use?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo