Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Instructional DVDs/CDs suitable for a club library (Read 2435 times)
katar

look another year went
by

Re: Instructional DVDs/CDs suitable for a club library
Reply #6 - 07/29/14 at 18:35:28
Post Tools
You can find unlimited free chess videos on Youtube and other sites.  The difficulty is sorting thru it and finding the high-quality stuff.  In particular, I like Claus Jensen's 17-part series on Bent Larsen's games that you can easily find on the Web.

Due to the abundance of streaming web media the model for physical DVDs is somewhat outdated.  Nonetheless I will try to list a few worthy DVDs that can be viewed on a standard DVD player connected to a TV:

Foxy Openings:
($35 for both) Combat Chess 1 & 2 with Julian Hodgson.  Very fun, enthusiastic presentation of swashbuckling games at 2500+ level.  Suitable for all levels 1200-2200.

ChessLecture DVDs:
(~$90 for four) Tal - Botvinnik 1960 by Jesse Kraai (4 vols).  Suitable for all levels!
($19 x 3) Smyslov endgames vols 1-3.  also by Jesse Kraai.  Also for all levels!

2078 uscf
IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #5 - 07/29/14 at 07:48:01
Post Tools
Many thanks for these, Stigma! I'm getting excited by the possibilities! We have members of all strengths, from ECF 65 through to 215, but the average is probably somewhere between 150 and 155. We also have a smallish junior club, so I guess we need to explore how many of the kids might use electronic material, as well.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #4 - 07/29/14 at 02:38:09
Post Tools
Btw. I don't know what level(s) all your club members are at, but the Steps Method is quite good, and I believe not just for children. There are Chess Tutors for Steps 1-3 available on CD from Stappenmethode (dot) nl. It's hard to estimate, but I would say steps 1-2 are pretty basic, while Step 3 is useful up to maybe 1500 Elo. But it never hurts to drill the basics until they become second nature.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #3 - 07/29/14 at 01:51:13
Post Tools
The most recent CT-Art package (called "CT-Art 5.0") is really a no-brainer, since it contains both CT-Art 4.0, CT-Art Mating Combinations and Chess Tactics for Beginners. The price is quite low, you might well buy more than one copy.

"Total Chess Endings" is another great combo package, consisting of two different endgame courses (the manual by Panchenko and one with lots of theoretical exercises). Convekta used to sell an updated, electronic edition of Averbakh's encyclopedic "Comprehensive Chess Endings" as well, but I can't find it anywhere now, which is a shame.

From Chessbase I've mostly looked at openings stuff, which obviously won't be relevant to everyone in a club at the same time. But I like Müller's endgame DVDs, and Knaak's "Mating attack against 0-0" is an older CD on attacking play which I really like, if you can find it. Daniel King is also supposed to be a good presenter, and has lots of different DVDs out. And Jacob Aaagard has some training DVDs for Chessbase, "Right Decisions" and "Attacking Play 1-2", which I believe contain some of same material as his books on calculation (Excelling at...) and attacking play.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #2 - 07/28/14 at 19:50:19
Post Tools
Thanks for this! I had a feeling it might be so. I think we need to poll club members on what system they use ...

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #1 - 07/28/14 at 18:31:57
Post Tools
You're going to have a hard time with Mac users. Neither ChessOK nor Chessbase products work on Mac. That being said, I think the Mueller Endgame CD set would go well with CT-Art. For U1600 try the ChessOK product Chess Tactics for Beginners, which is the software form of Ivaschenko's tactics course, for years the standard work for Russian youth.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Instructional DVDs/CDs suitable for a club library
07/25/14 at 18:52:58
Post Tools
At my club, we’re toying with the idea of investing, if we can afford it, in some CDs or DVDs (I guess Downloads would be out in this context) that club members could borrow on a library-style basis, and that might both offer good value-for-money chess instruction and appeal to members who are averse (as many are these days) to borrowing and reading printed books. I’m wondering whether people think this is a realistic idea, and if so what items/titles you might recommend. I’ve looked at Chess OK where as well as the well-regarded CT-ART package there are offerings such as Chess Middlegame Collection 2013, Chess Combinations Books based on world champions’ games, and various titles for club players like Attacking the King and Training Package for Club Players, plus items on tactics like Chess Combinations for Club Players. From ChessBase there are things like Magic of Chess Tactics, Mating Patterns, Tactics in the Endgame and Test Your Attacking Chess. Anyone got thoughts on these or others, on whether such items would be adaptable enough for members with different PCs/Macs, and on what might offer best value for what would inevitably be limited money?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo