Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ian Anderson's ChessVisualization.com is gone. (Read 6815 times)
cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Re: Ian Anderson's ChessVisualization.com is gone.
Reply #13 - 06/29/20 at 22:31:36
Post Tools
Understood and appreciated.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 06/29/20 at 13:05:13
Post Tools
cathexis wrote on 06/28/20 at 18:21:25:
Then I hope the friends of this author will contact him so he can direct his attorneys to proceed against them. I appreciate your sharing this so others can make the best decision for themselves.

OH! And one afterthought; If you feel it would be better for me to take down the post I only ask that a Moderator say so online or by PM and I'll be happy to do so!

I've removed the links but kept the rest of the post for the time being as it was made in good faith. I think the thread serves a useful reminder to people that not everything available for free on the internet is there with the permission of the real authors/owners.

While Ian may have given his permission, i suspect he probably hasnt.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #11 - 06/28/20 at 20:25:22
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 06/28/20 at 13:52:36:
For people on Chessable, there's a nice series of "books" that I found more useful than the Anderson one. In these books, you are shown a starting position and are told the next few (1-7) moves, and are then asked to find a simple tactic in the end position. I find that this engages my chess brain much more than count-the-material exercises. There are 4 of them so far, and they start with "Visualise 1" (https://www.chessable.com/visualise-1/course/25695/).

That's genius, thanks for pointing it out. I may be borrowing this idea if I ever start coaching again.

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #10 - 06/28/20 at 18:21:25
Post Tools
Then I hope the friends of this author will contact him so he can direct his attorneys to proceed against them. I appreciate your sharing this so others can make the best decision for themselves.

OH! And one afterthought; If you feel it would be better for me to take down the post I only ask that a Moderator say so online or by PM and I'll be happy to do so!

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #9 - 06/28/20 at 17:30:33
Post Tools
"Copyright 2007-2011" means "the copyrighted material here was first published between 2007 and 2011". It does not mean "This material was in copyright only from 2007 to 2011."

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #8 - 06/28/20 at 15:43:38
Post Tools
cathexis wrote on 06/28/20 at 13:52:22:
The publication info page specifically states copyright 2007-2011. So, public domain it seems.

No, not in the public domain.

cathexis wrote on 06/28/20 at 13:52:22:
Likewise, Book 2 by the same author (565 pgs.!) is also out there for free here:

Link removed by Mod

Same copyright info.

Just because something is available for download on the internet doesn't mean it's okay to do it. It's up to the copyright holder to decide if it's okay. Most of the time, it's not okay.

To be fair, I have no information about whether this author cares about these two documents. I just wanted to correct what I saw to be a serious misunderstanding.
« Last Edit: 06/29/20 at 12:58:05 by RoleyPoley »  

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #7 - 06/28/20 at 13:52:36
Post Tools
For people on Chessable, there's a nice series of "books" that I found more useful than the Anderson one. In these books, you are shown a starting position and are told the next few (1-7) moves, and are then asked to find a simple tactic in the end position. I find that this engages my chess brain much more than count-the-material exercises. There are 4 of them so far, and they start with "Visualise 1" (https://www.chessable.com/visualise-1/course/25695/).

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #6 - 06/28/20 at 13:52:22
Post Tools
FWIW,

I just downloaded the .pdf (324pgs.)for free from here:

[Link removed by Mod]

The publication info page specifically states copyright 2007-2011. So, public domain it seems. Likewise, Book 2 by the same author (565 pgs.!) is also out there for free here:

[Link removed by Mod]

Same copyright info. Also, on my pc with malwarebytes, etc. running there were no site warnings. Further, no sign-up or registration needed to obtain the materials at either site. The publisher, "Gelvert Publishing" appears gone to a basic google. Both books are in English. Both have excellent quality diagrams (highly legible and with proper layout so commentary matches associated diagram (AFAIK)), as well as both having their answer keys at the back.

Hope this helps,

Cathexis
« Last Edit: 06/29/20 at 12:57:27 by RoleyPoley »  

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 06/28/20 at 11:46:57
Post Tools
It seems to me that the Website https://www.chessvis.com/ is currently up, and that the emphasis now is on Mobile Apps...

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #4 - 06/28/20 at 07:34:25
Post Tools
I'm not sure of the usefulness of this exercise compared to blindfold chess. But there's no need for a book:
  • open a random game in a database (e.g. ChessBase)
  • scan the notation for a sequence with a lot of captures
  • click before the captures start
  • visualize the moves
  • answer the same question
  • cluck after the captures end
  • compare with your answer

IP Logged

snits

Reply #3 - 06/28/20 at 01:25:21
Post Tools
MaxJudd wrote on 04/05/20 at 16:34:43:
Does anyone know if Volume 2 ever got published and if so, how to get it?  I found Volume 1 helpful.

I don't know if he published it as a physical book like volume 1, but it was possible for some time to purchase a pdf of volume 2.

IP Logged

MaxJudd

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 04/05/20 at 16:34:43
Post Tools
Does anyone know if Volume 2 ever got published and if so, how to get it?  I found Volume 1 helpful.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #1 - 08/28/14 at 10:31:31
Post Tools
When I clicked the link you give, I immediately got a virus warning about an infected site - so it's plausible that the site has been cracked/hi-jacked or whatever the term is...

Quote:
Ian sold his hardcopy books from his own website:
http://www.chessvisualization.

IP Logged

GeneM

Tournament winner gets
two fun filled knights!

Ian Anderson's ChessVisualization.com is gone.
08/28/14 at 05:27:50
Post Tools
In 2007 Ian Anderson self-published a chess book titled:
Chess Visualization Course, Book 1: General Tactics.

A Book 2 came later.

Ian sold his hardcopy books from his own website:
http://www.chessvisualization.com/.

Dan Heisman is among those who praised Anderson's books. The praised was deserved because:

A. Anderson's Book 1 was packed with 800 "counting" puzzles exercises of good quality.
Each exercise gave you a position diagram and SAN notation telling you which few moves to envision in your mind. The end question was - "What is the material balance after the given moves?".
Most of the exercises involved long sequences of exchanges all on one square.

B. Anderson had obviously put a great deal of effort into his books. And his books truly hit and filled a niche gap in the body of chess literature.

C. The answers are in the back of Anderson's book. In a show of concern for his readers, Anderson repeated a small version of the position diagram with the answer (although the moves were not repeated).

I give Anderson further credit for the lay-flat design of his coil binding. Most comments I found about the binding were negative, but the negativity seemed based on aesthetics rather than on utility. I prefer utility.

Unfortunately yesterday I noticed that Ian's chessvisualization.com website is gone.

The biggest problem with Anderson's book was its price - perhaps $44 or something like that.

I wonder whether Anderson could convince Forward Chess to cooperate in the selling of an ebook version of his books? Marketing is just Forward Press adding the ebook to its list of chess ebooks (in their format) that are available to buy.
It would take a lot of manual labor for Anderson to convert his paper-book file to any ebook format. It is unclear whether Anderson would be willing to put in so much labor.

GeneM , CastleLong.com , FRC-chess960
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo