Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Introduction to Dragon for 2100 rated player (Read 14002 times)
bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Re: Introduction to Dragon for 2100 rated player
Reply #3 - 09/01/14 at 06:12:20
Post Tools
Dearings book is very good but several lines are out of date.
Chess Developments: the Sicilian Dragon is a must for any seriois Dragon player.

Also doent forget to prepare for anti sicilians.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #2 - 08/29/14 at 15:02:17
Post Tools
I think that if you're willing to put in the effort, there are few better openings for club players. To actually mate a good Dragon player as Black is tough, and when I was playing it, I was winning a lot of games simply by refuting the same over-ambitious attacks. I cannot count how many games I won after either of these:

I think both are from Dearing's old but wonderful book. My copy is a shame to look at, but has served me well over the years.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 08/29/14 at 10:46:02
Post Tools
Anon wrote on 08/29/14 at 04:52:33:
I suspect at club level a working knowledge of the main lines and understanding of themes and typical tactics might suffice.

Club players of a hacking disposition will know the typical Yugoslav attack ideas. Whilst in many openings, not knowing the theory response will just leave the defender with a worse position, in the Dragon, it's probably mate. The same can apply to allowing the Marshall in the Spanish.

IP Logged

Anon
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Introduction to Dragon for 2100 rated player
08/29/14 at 04:52:33
Post Tools
Do you think that Williams DVD or the Nielsen ones are a better introduction to the Dragon from both an instructive perspective and enjoyment perspective? I don't own either and am wondering what readers think. My impression from reading the forum is Nielsen is probably more thorough and up to date in relation to main lines. From what I have seen of Williams he is enjoyable to listen too.

Second question- do you think Dragon is suitable for club players. I was tempted to say no because of the amount of theory involved- but one could almost say that about many other openings. I suspect at club level a working knowledge of the main lines and understanding of themes and typical tactics might suffice.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo