Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The English Attack against the Taimanov (Read 13110 times)
LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: The English Attack against the Taimanov
Reply #12 - 08/06/16 at 18:10:17
Post Tools
@ddt -- congrats, your article is superb.  Great annotations, easy to follow, and you use your own games.  The training positions at the end are a nice touch.  I don't play this line, but after reading your article, I feel like I could.

IP Logged

ddt
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 08/01/16 at 10:22:42
Post Tools
I wrote an opening survey on English attack, 8...Be7 9.0-0-0 b5 10.g4 variation. I tried to assess the current state of affairs in both 10...0-0 and 10...Nxd4 lines, based both on the latest GM games, as well as on my own experience with these lines (I played Taimanov Sicilian both over the board and in correspondence chess). I also made sure to check the suggestions from Emms, Delchev/Semkov and Andriasian books.

The article just got published in the latest ChessBase Magazine, #173. If you get a chance to read it, I would love to hear your feedback!

IP Logged

Semkov

Reply #10 - 04/16/15 at 08:33:26
Post Tools
Unfortunately, all the books get their 5 star reviews and at the end a work which took years gets lost among others which are mostly spam.
A stunning example was a book by Marian Petrov on The Modern Benoni - for Black. Although he is my compatriot, Marian has not read Kill KID which introduced a totally new approach to the Four Pawns attack some 5 years ago. Even though, he should have noticed hundreds of games which featured my new plan. But his knowledge of the f4-system obviously was more than 10 years old.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #9 - 04/15/15 at 12:06:08
Post Tools
I am also very happy about it.

As a bonus "Modernized: The Open sicilian" does not covers serval of "The most flexible siciian" lines either.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #8 - 04/14/15 at 21:34:38
Post Tools
Semkov wrote on 04/14/15 at 15:43:27:
In "The most flexible Sicilian" we give a novelty against his repertoire, but he never mentions it. Obviously, he researched only Megabase. Pitty, I was eager to see what he has found.

I have bought The most flexible Sicilian but not this new English Attack book, so I'm a bit happier to hear that!

P.S. They fixed the wrong cover on Forward Chess soon after it was released.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Semkov

Reply #7 - 04/14/15 at 15:43:27
Post Tools
I'm a little angry. The author wrote a whole book against the Taimanov, but he did not bother to read my book on the subject. In "The most flexible Sicilian" we give a novelty against his repertoire, but he never mentions it. Obviously, he researched only Megabase. Pitty, I was eager to see what he has found.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #6 - 04/09/15 at 12:49:46
Post Tools
It has been realised now. Has anyone got it to make a review?

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 03/24/15 at 17:46:19
Post Tools
Lol, didn't spot that! I just noticed the title and posted here. But I might get both books, hence I could buy it anyway Smiley

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #4 - 03/24/15 at 07:08:10
Post Tools
fling wrote on 03/24/15 at 06:42:26:
Fyi, just noticed this in the store for Forward chess.

They'll have to put the right cover on the book before I'll consider getting it! (Right now it's the cover from his Najdorf book, at least on my Android device).

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 03/24/15 at 06:42:26
Post Tools
Fyi, just noticed this in the store for Forward chess.

IP Logged

yolocounty

Yes, I push wood, why
do you ask?

Reply #2 - 09/24/14 at 20:01:41
Post Tools
The English setup (f3, Be3, Qd2, etc.) is playable against almost anything Black does, but against non-Najdorf/Scheveningen lines in general and the Taimanov move order in particular it should not be very challenging.

Of course the devil is in the details.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 09/06/14 at 23:54:46
Post Tools
It would seem Andriasian was speaking in more historical terms, with "recent years" meaning something like the last 10-15 years.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

The English Attack against the Taimanov
09/06/14 at 22:08:18
Post Tools
I just noticed the following forthcoming book by Zaven Andriasian from New In Chess. I've heard great things about Andriasian's Najdorf book but find the following blurb curious:

Quote:
The English Attack has long been considered harmless against the widely played Taimanov Sicilian, until in recent years some remarkable improvements were found for White. Encouraging results have made this set-up ever more popular both at club level and in professional chess circles.

If anything, it's Black who has made progress in the Taimanov English Attack in recent years with the 6.Be3 a6 7.Qd2 Nf6 8.0-0-0 Be7 9.f3 b5 10.g4 Nxd4 system that has been analysed on ChessPublishing (iirc). It's because of this line that unusual lines like 8.f4 and 7.Qf3 have become somewhat trendy, but first this isn't an English Attack, and second if that was the book's recommendation, the book would be quite a bit lighter.

Anyway, if anyone wants to continue the discussion on the state of theory here, I'll give a few lines to support my views when I have a bit more free time.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo