Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Android ChessBase app Fails its own .PGN? (Read 3411 times)
Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Android ChessBase app Fails its own .PGN?
Reply #5 - 09/17/14 at 06:26:39
Post Tools
Imho, the Android devices are not quite fit for handling complex chess applications as Chessbase and the programmers are aware of that. Hence the disregard...

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 09/16/14 at 20:43:40
Post Tools
I think they don't have to care. There aren't really many alternatives, unfortunately.

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #3 - 09/16/14 at 09:22:28
Post Tools
fling wrote on 09/16/14 at 07:58:58:
I just use Playchess when I have some spare moment for playing chess. But no forfeit on disconnection and other things that really should be there makes me want to skip the app altogether.

You are not the only one who is quite frustrated and annoyed by this. I am puzzled by why Chessbase does this, surely it must be even a worse public relations disaster to do such an incredibly "we don't really care"-job than to simply not have an android-app. Or did they just do it, because ICC has a decent android app? In fact, how hard can it be? Okay, probably not trivial, but if they could only come up with some sensible way to deal with the occasional short disconnect, their playchess app would be sort of okayish, but instead they seem to not care.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 09/16/14 at 07:58:58
Post Tools
GeneM wrote on 09/16/14 at 05:23:57:
Am I being unreasonable expecting modern chess software to display these types of very basic information?

No, but you won't apparently get much from Chessbase, who even quite recently said they didn't think iOS and Android was something they considered worth developing apps for.

I dislike all their apps. Too many bugs and still no support for CBH-files. Lacking a lot of functions too. I just use Playchess when I have some spare moment for playing chess. But no forfeit on disconnection and other things that really should be there makes me want to skip the app altogether. Good thing they at least are for free...

IP Logged

GeneM

Tournament winner gets
two fun filled knights!

Reply #1 - 09/16/14 at 05:23:57
Post Tools
Also, ChessBase for Android neglects to inform the user about which color is on-turn, when viewing a database that contains FEN positions (which do encode for the color on-turn) where the positions are not accompanied by any moves. The color on-turn seems like important information for modern chess software to not bother showing.

And when I advance one move while replaying a game that is in my database, ChessBase for Android *instantly* replaces the captured piece, so that sometimes I have to move back and forth once to see the type of piece taken. That is not a human friendly design.

Am I being unreasonable expecting modern chess software to display these types of very basic information?

GeneM , CastleLong.com , FRC-chess960
IP Logged

GeneM

Tournament winner gets
two fun filled knights!

Android ChessBase app Fails its own .PGN?
09/15/14 at 19:48:02
Post Tools
[ Android ChessBase app Fails its own .PGN? ]
2014-09-15

Using Fritz I added some comments into some games of my .CBH file. In the Fritz commentary textbox I bounded my comments with curly braces, { myComments }, for the visual effect.
But then...

I created a .PGN copy of my .CBH.
I uploaded the .PGN to my Android smartphone.
I opened the .PGN with the ChessBase app I purchased.
I hit a bug in ChessBase software, Angry rats!

Unlike Fritz from ChessBase, the ChessBase app is unable to correctly parse the moves-variations-evaluations-comments etc as generated by ChessBase software.

With some testing I believe the { } that I put into the textbox are directly related to the bug. The ChessBase app seems unable to handle what amounts to NESTED CURLY BRACES in the .PGN ---> It seems ChessBase adds { } around each comment on its own.
So...

QUESTION:
In BULK, is there any way I can easily erase all commentary from my entire .CBH or .PGN?

GeneM , CastleLong.com , FRC-chess960
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo