Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Kozul on the Kozul: "The Richter Rauzer Reborn" (Read 22867 times)
FreeRepublic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Kozul on the Kozul: "The Richter Rauzer Reborn"
Reply #31 - 05/08/19 at 16:41:57
Post Tools
I'd appreciate having this book in electronic form. I may break down and buy it in hard copy anyway.

Modern-Chess.com also has an excellent e-book by IM Kanmazalp. I'd not previously heard of him, but can vouch for the quality of his work.

Regardless of the source, we are talking about:
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 Nc6 6. Bg5! e6 7. Qd2 a6 8. O-O-O Bd7

The original main-line continues with 9.f4 b5. With ...b5!? we get to the line referred to by Yermolinsky and others the Kozul suicide line. Unfortunately for black, white came up with a second main line starting with 9f3. Both moves have done well for white. 9f4!? is tactical and sharp, lending itself to concrete analysis. 9f3!? is more amorphous with different ideas an many transpositions. It's harder to get a handle on 9f3.

After 9f3, IM Kanmazalp analyzes the old main line with 9...Be7 and the newer 9...Nxd4. Take your pick. I imagine I will take a few looks at both lines. I was already familiar and comfortable with 9f4, but I can tell you that Kanmazalp has a lot to add.

After 9...Nxd4 10Qxd4, Kanmazalp continues with 10...Be7. While I will doubtless go through this, I first looked at a suggestion of Stockfish, namely 10...Bc6. For example 11. h4 h6 12. Be3 d5!? 13.exd5 Nxd5 14. Nxd5 Qxd5 15. Qxd5 Bxd5.

It's hard to believe that white has anything here, though either player might enjoy playing this endgame (or not).

My approach is first see if there is anything that I like vs. 9f3. If so, then I can look forward to learning more about the highly combative 9f4.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #30 - 02/06/19 at 01:58:59
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 02/06/19 at 01:50:58:
To me if I understand, the Kozul "Suicide" Variation is the best variation for Black. I really do not like putting the bitchop on e7 or any of those related old lines. Last time I looked at those variations, Black suffer a lot positionally, except without the sharp counterplay of the Kozul. Does anyone even analyse those lines as much  ¿ I am not referring to White, I mean Black players who play against the Richter-Rauzer Cheesy

I would note that a number of recent updates have addressed 9...Be7.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #29 - 02/06/19 at 01:50:58
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 02/06/19 at 01:25:20:
But everybody is recommending the Kozul variation - 6...e6 7.Qd2 a6 8.0-0-0 Bd7 9.f4 b5 - against the Richter-Rauzer. Marin also did that on his Chessbase DVD a few years ago.

To me if I understand, the Kozul "Suicide" Variation is the best variation for Black. I really do not like putting the bitchop on e7 or any of those related old lines. Last time I looked at those variations, Black suffer a lot positionally, except without the sharp counterplay of the Kozul. Does anyone even analyse those lines as much  ¿ I am not referring to White, I mean Black players who play against the Richter-Rauzer Cheesy

Stigma wrote on 02/06/19 at 01:25:20:
Sure it leads to very interesting positions, but it isn't the only line played on a high level? Could mean I would get some surprise value out of playing something else as Black.  Smiley

The entire Classical is usually not played as much as the Najdorf or Taimanow at high level, except occassionally. And even in those occassions, it seems that most choose the Kozul anyway. I find the entire variation to be fun and sharp. If you are in the mood to get into one of those situations where if you or your opponent make a slip you win.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #28 - 02/06/19 at 01:25:20
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 02/05/19 at 20:45:37:
Maybe the Classical is becoming more popular ¿  Cheesy

But everybody is recommending the Kozul variation - 6...e6 7.Qd2 a6 8.0-0-0 Bd7 9.f4 b5 - against the Richter-Rauzer. Marin also did that on his Chessbase DVD a few years ago.

I wonder why. (OK, Kozul himself is excused!) Sure it leads to very interesting positions, but it isn't the only line played on a high level? Could mean I would get some surprise value out of playing something else as Black.  Smiley

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #27 - 02/05/19 at 20:45:37
Post Tools
I had contacted Thinkers few months ago and I was told that this book available the 21th of this month.

Recently Modern Chess have new database on the Richter-Rauzer as well:

https://www.modern-chess.com/en/chess-databases/database=61

Maybe the Classical is becoming more popular ¿  Cheesy

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #26 - 02/05/19 at 14:31:24
Post Tools
We can hope for a new & revised edition of this book
as "expected arrivals" at Thinkers Publishing contains:

The Modernized Richter Rauzer
by Jankovic & Kozul

A date is not given but they usually do not announce
far in advance, so it might take only few days/weeks !?

Smiley tracke

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 09/07/16 at 12:44:47
Post Tools
Hi.

CarriedbyGg wrote on 09/07/16 at 11:24:39:
Is anyone else working on this, probably with White?

Not me.
If there is anything that is especially puzzling or interesting I would be quite willing to take a look though.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

CarriedbyGg

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 09/07/16 at 11:24:39
Post Tools
Is anyone else working on this, probably with White?

IP Logged

CarriedbyGg

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 08/29/16 at 21:54:43
Post Tools
I do not own the Negi, but I got to look at it for a day or so. I remember that his mainline is the Kb1-f5 variation, where Kozul and Jankovic recommend Qc5. So, the moves after the initial Kozul position are
11. Kb1 Qb6 12. Nxc6 Bxc6 13. f5
I think Negis mainline is 13. ... b4 now, where he also adresses Marins proposal. I didn't properly checked it, but a friend of mine did and he believes that Negis analysis on that can be improved fairly easily. Food for thought?

But my interest lies in the comparison to Kozul and indeed, they meet in a sideline after

13. ... Qc5 14. Bd3 h5 15. fe fe 16. Rhf1 (Kozul looked at e5!? mainly) Bg7 and now Negi proposes 17. Ne2 which only got an "unclear" sign by K&J. He then follows a correspondence game but I think there were not much else analysis. For me, even without checking this does seem like a proper way for White and Black. Negi can claim a typical advantage, while Kozul and Jankovic seem to be happy to play Black in another typical, unclear Kozul variation. So not a big upset here!

I hope that this answered your question Smiley

IP Logged

TN
YaBB Moderator

Reply #22 - 06/27/16 at 09:19:21
Post Tools
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was wondering how this book fares when compared with Negi's analyses, or if they analyse the variation played in Karjakin-Caruana from the Candidates?

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

ChevyBanginStyle

2 \infty & *CRUNCH*

Reply #21 - 02/29/16 at 06:58:13
Post Tools
MilenPetrov wrote on 10/30/14 at 21:48:50:
Back to the book...
I started to work on it with my ChessBase and engines and until now I checked only th first chapter. Pure chess content look great until now, but...If i was a manager of this company I would immediately sac the chief editor
Just two reasons which i spotted:
1) Did someone pay attention to the cover? Black(red) pieces are placed on a 1st-2nd row - WTH.
2) Field e1 on cover design is white - OMG
Unless I am sloppy and have problems with colors
Also while working on 1st chapter I spotted a lot of incomplete sentences, which is clear to me it is a pure database dump.

It's the Kozul. Naturally, it turns the chessboard upside down. Smiley

The funny thing is that my students nearly always notice this before I do during an analysis, since I almost never look at the numbers and letters.

IP Logged

CarriedbyGg

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 10/25/15 at 13:40:27
Post Tools
Even if my post didn't get much attention obviously, I think it may interest someone that Marin on his classical Sicilian DVD recommends 12. .... Be7 followed by 0-0-0. He stops after 12. ... b4 13. Ne2 a5 14. f5, but I don't see much danger for Black, just a normal double-edged position.
I understand Marin's choice as I would bet he likes the positions players like Damljanovic get (he seems to play a lot of Be7 and 0-0-0 in his games) over those played by Kozul, who generally plays more aggressive.

IP Logged

befuddled
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 08/16/15 at 18:39:12
Post Tools
Thanks CarriedbyGg!

IP Logged

CarriedbyGg

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 08/16/15 at 16:31:17
Post Tools
I have done some work on a line not mentioned. In the main-mainline, after 11. ... Qb6, there are alternatives to 12.Nxc6, which are not covered by the authors, sadly. I will offer you my thoughts of 12.Nf3, as I have happened to face it in my very first Rauzer encounter 2 years ago.

IP Logged

CarriedbyGg

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 08/16/15 at 16:22:44
Post Tools
Sorry for the long waiting. Kozul proposes 9. ... h6 10. Be3 b5.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo