Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Transposition after 5.Bd3 Nf6 6.0-0 d6 7.Nc3 (Read 3425 times)
nestor

Re: Transposition after 5.Bd3 Nf6 6.0-0 d6 7.Nc3
Reply #3 - 10/29/14 at 21:08:04
Post Tools
If you plan to carry on playing the Kan, the best current book is "The Most Flexible Sicilian" by Delchev and Semkov (Chess Stars). This also covers the Taimanov move order. In the line you have asked about, they also go for 7...d6 in preference to 7...Bc5 (for the reason already given) and 7...Nc6 (they think 8 Nc6 is "too easy" for White).

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #2 - 10/29/14 at 18:33:29
Post Tools
Man, this answer is about four times what I expected. Thank you so much, TN!

I doublechecked some of the lines after 7. ..Bc5 (Hellsten also gave a suggestion) and this indeed doesn't look like something I want to play at all.. I'm rather grateful for this warning!
What's the current verdict then; 7. ..d6, or something entirely else (eg 7. ..Nc6)?
I figured I'd just play the ..d6 lines after all then (which also sorts out the transposition issue from the OP), but maybe there's something better?

I planned to study the general plans of 'classical' Sicilian structures  with "Pawn Structure Chess" by Soltis (which I recently acquired) and "Dynamics of Chess Strategy" by Jansa (which I plan to buy);
Do you believe those two books to provide me with a sufficient understanding of the arising positions, or should I look for a more specific book on the Scheveningen?

Thanks again!

IP Logged

TN
YaBB Moderator

Reply #1 - 10/15/14 at 05:40:37
Post Tools
A few points on the move orders:

- It is more accurate to start with 6...Qc7, so that after 7.c4?! you can play 7...Nc6! 8.Nxc6 dxc6 followed by ...e5, when you obtain the better pawn structure because of the weakness of the d4-square. Then if White plays 7.Nc3 you are back to your standard position, and after 7.Qe2 d6 8.c4 it is more effective to play 8...g6 because you reduced White's options by committing him to Qe2 (whereas ...Qc7 is a fairly integral move in Black's setup anyway).

- After 5.Nc3 Qc7 6.Bd3 Nf6 7.0-0, 7...Bc5 is a mistake because of 8.Nb3 Be7 9.f4 d6 10.e5! and Black is in trouble. A bit of work on this line could give you practically a win against anyone blindly following Hellsten's 'Play the Sicilian Kan' book.

- After 5.Bd3 Nf6 6.0-0 d6 7.Nc3 you could probably benefit from delaying ...Qc7 in favour of 7...Be7 or 7...g6. In the case of ...Be7 I would be quite tempted to go for setups with ...Nbd7-Nc5, chasing after the d3-bishop, if possible. After ...g6, pursuing the d3-bishop might be a bit superfluous when you already blocked the b1-h7 diagonal. The main thing to watch out for after ...g6 is that White doesn't have a quick f4-f5 to blow you open before you consolidate (that only tends to be an issue after a premature ...Nbd7 or queenside fianchetto though).

- It would also be a good idea to study some Scheveningen lines to round out your understanding of these positions after Nc3. The Be2 lines will be most instructive as there are some lines where White then moves his bishop to d3 in preparation for the e5 break. I mainly used Kasparov's old Scheveningen book for this purpose.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Transposition after 5.Bd3 Nf6 6.0-0 d6 7.Nc3
10/14/14 at 22:16:06
Post Tools
I just got a short question regarding transpositions after 5.Bd3, since I haven't played any other Sicilian before I picked up the Kan:

After 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cd4: 4.Nd4: a6 5.Bd3,
I play the "old main line" 5. ..Nf6, happy with the usually arising Maroczy structure.

However, after eg 6.0-0 d6, White sometimes goes for 7.Nc3 rather than 7.c4.
I could play 7. ..Qc7 here, staying in Kan waters - but this would throw me out of my repertoire (In the line 5.Nc3 Qc7 6.Bd3 Nf6 7.0-0, I choose 7. ..Bc5 rather than 7. ..d6).
Now, 7. ..Qc7 is clearly not a forced move, so I'm looking for the best transposition into a different Sicilian.

7. ..Be7 would lead me into a Najdorf/Scheveningen type position, where Bd3 is *afaik* not the main line, but still regarded as "having some bite".
So I figured I should instead go for 7. ..g6, transposing into what looks to me like a favourable Dragon.

Is this the right approach, or am I missing something (eg how much does the pawn being on e6 rather than e7 hurt me in this structure)?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 10/15/14 at 00:18:00 by IsaVulpes »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo