Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Coming back to the KID? Suggestions please (Read 13304 times)
yolocounty

Yes, I push wood, why
do you ask?

Re: Coming back to the KID? Suggestions please
Reply #4 - 12/04/14 at 23:23:43
Post Tools
Let's do the list:

Classical
-Averbakh
-Petrosian
-Exchange
Fianchetto
Samisch
Makogonov
Four Pawns

In the Classical, I would think you head for the MDP; compared to 20 years ago these lines have gotten better for Black, I think, as a theoretical matter, and they certainly offer opportunities to the player with the better understanding.

In the Averbakh, I would always go for the Benoni-style transposition.

In the Petrosian, the ...a5 and ...Na6 lines are very healthy.

In the Exchange... why am I talking about theory in the exchange?  You have the d4 square, he doesn't have d5.  Enjoy.

In the Fianchetto the Panno is theoretically doing well.  I have played a lot of English flavored stuff (e.g. 1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 g6 3 Nf3 Bg7 4 g3 0-0 5 Bg2 c5 6 Nc3 cxd4 7 Nxd4 Nc6 8 0-0 Nxd4 9 Qxd4 d6 followed by ...Be6.)  That's a bit passive sometimes, but not everyone knows what to do.

In the Samisch, the Panno is also doing well.  There are also Benko-like ideas, but I am not an aficianado of those.

I have to admit I don't have a line against the Makagonov.  It just never struck me as a serious try for advantage.  I have played based on vague memories that ...Nh5 early works, and had success.

The Four Pawns Benoni is not good for White, so why not head for it?

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #3 - 12/04/14 at 11:00:04
Post Tools
Thank you both, interesting thoughts (I suppose "-classical with e5 and Sf6" should read Sc6?)

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

patkue
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 12/04/14 at 08:42:20
Post Tools
At the moment I am really satisfied with my repertoire:

-classical with e5 and Sf6
-samish with a6 and Sbd7 (ok not everyone likes it) and to play c5 and b5 ala wolga benko
-fianchetto with Sc6 and a6 (Panno)
-sidelines: often with c5 and b5 (benko) especially in lines in which white develops the bishop to f4 or g5 Wink

IP Logged

yolocounty

Yes, I push wood, why
do you ask?

Reply #1 - 12/03/14 at 19:55:08
Post Tools
I took up the KID about 6 months ago, and immediately had a six-round weekend tournament in which every game, with black and white, began 1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 g6 3 Nc3.  (5 KID's and a Grunfeld).

Anyway.

A lot of white players know a little bit of theory, but often their knowledge - especially in the 1800-2200 range - just gets them into trouble.  I win a lot of games where we play 15 moves of theory, then my opponent thinks for 20 minutes and walks into a lost position over the course of five or six moves (this includes experts).  Theory is often sharp, and if you know the positions better, you will win.

I can't get concerned about the Exchange, but you'll need to do some work on the h3 lines because they are the first refuge of people who overthink their openings.

I don't generally like Benko stuff very much, but the Benoni transpositions (Averbakh, etc.) seem to be theoretically okay and I never feel like I'm getting crushed there.

...e5 and ...Nc6 is still viable against almost everything, although I believe there are some theoretical problems in the Fianchetto.

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Coming back to the KID? Suggestions please
12/03/14 at 18:08:17
Post Tools
I'll be honest and confess that, apart from the cursory look, have not visited the KID forum for quite a few years and it feels like a daunting task to start searching for the various answers I need, so I thought to start a new topic (excuse me for that!).

Some background:
- Used to play the KID some 20 years back. I loved the KID and had decent to good results with it. However, back then I was usually facing competition of  ~1400-1800.
- Following a 12-year hiatus I started playing chess again and tried the KID of course but was put off by the exchange variation, the Kramer, Makagonov, Averbakh, the various anti-KID lines and in general I felt that White players were more booked up vs. the KID than I would have thought. I decided to try a new opening vs. d4/c4/Nf3 and did not put any effort to refresh my understanding and lines in this opening.
- Nowadays, I usually face ~1800-2200 players. I play the Dutch (Dutch or Slav Stonewall and the Leningrad) – I would say rather average results so far. More importantly I don’t feel at home. I play the Najdorf vs. 1. e4 and would like sth like that. But I am also at par in positional play and endgames (which I like a lot).
- My captain suggested going back to the KID and I admit I was rather tempted. I have a really good old book called Mastering the KID that offers a quick review of the main strategic & tactical ideas and thought to give it a serious read during Christmas. I could search for detailed variations elsewhere (or check the games of e.g. Kasparov, Radjabov etc.); however, this is where my problem lies. Which systems to focus on?

a) Always liked the …e5 lines (with Nc6). Have never really tried or explored the …c5 or …Na6 setups. But I liked the Benko approach, but cannot remember vs. which line (I think it was the 4 pawns).
b) vs. the fianchetto lines I used to employ …c6 & …d5 (a la Grunfeld), but not sure if I want to go that way anymore.
c) have no clue what to do vs. anti-KID lines or 1. c4 (low maintenance and easy to remember replies would be appreciated here).

Right now everything seems either intimidating (e.g. Mar del Plata, Bayonet, Averbakh, Makagonov, Kramer, Saemisch, 4 pawns, fianchetto lines) or like an easy draw for White (the Exchange, the anti-KID lines). It is my lack of knowledge of course. But what to choose and where to start from? How much preparation is needed nowadays to play the Classical? And is there an interesting and easy to follow (not too dense) repertoire book out there?

Sorry for the big post, I will appreciate your thoughts and directions on this matter.   Undecided

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo