Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Coming back to the KID? Suggestions please (Read 15341 times)
chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Re: Coming back to the KID? Suggestions please
Reply #19 - 03/20/15 at 09:35:23
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 12/11/14 at 22:00:18:
Chess24 has a very nice video (basically a Chessbase DVD in length - 34 videos and 7 hours of footage) by Robin Van Campen on the KID. Mostly well established main lines, and there's an associated online ebook that's helpful as well, especially because while going through it you have access to the Chess24 online database and Stockfish too. I might start there honestly:

Van Kampen KID

Just an update - Bought this video series and so far it looks quite useful and to the point. Was thinking to move next to the accompanying ebook and later on to some of the books mentioned in this thread (based on the specific variations I will decide to play).

Cheers

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

yolocounty

Yes, I push wood, why
do you ask?

Reply #18 - 02/04/15 at 19:13:43
Post Tools
The instant reaction to half the moves in the second half of the game is "what the ___?"  I love the King's Indian.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 02/03/15 at 17:37:25
Post Tools
Nice game. I Imagine Gawain was a tiny bit confused at having to play white in that sort of position Smiley

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #16 - 02/03/15 at 16:26:11
Post Tools
Recalling that the Saemisch Panno came up in this thread, I thought I would just point to this nice (for Black)-looking game from yesterday.  (Though in his book on this variation written some years before Jones was born, Watson pointed out that it shouldn't be named after Panno ...)

IP Logged

YaBB Newbies

Do or do not there is
no try!

Reply #15 - 01/14/15 at 22:25:51
Post Tools
I will write my experience.I liked the lines of the bologan dvd and the Na6 classicall variation,this also from another dvd.
Ofcourse I have lost some bad games,this opening is not easy.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #14 - 12/29/14 at 21:26:19
Post Tools
yolocounty wrote on 12/03/14 at 19:55:08:
A lot of white players know a little bit of theory, but often their knowledge - especially in the 1800-2200 range - just gets them into trouble.  I win a lot of games where we play 15 moves of theory, then my opponent thinks for 20 minutes and walks into a lost position over the course of five or six moves (this includes experts).  Theory is often sharp, and if you know the positions better, you will win.

Absolutely true.
Reminds me of a funny annotation that for me characterizes the mainline KID.  After a standard/typical KID position the annotation was "Black is clearly worse, with winning chances."  Could have been Anand - Nakamura, London 2011.  Grin

2078 uscf
IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #13 - 12/29/14 at 21:09:28
Post Tools
If those books are anything like his Fianchetto book, they are not suitable for someone who's just coming back to the KID or taking it up for the first time. Why do I need 700 pages on the Fianchetto Variation? That's way too much information to parse through to get what you really need. Great as a reference or for CC, but otherwise I don't necessarily get it.

Of course, I'm a sucker and I'll still buy his MDP books...

IP Logged

gramsci

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 12/29/14 at 18:42:41
Post Tools
Just wait for Kotronias & Quality Chess' next books on the Mar de Plata KID
« Last Edit: 12/29/14 at 20:29:46 by gramsci »  

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #11 - 12/17/14 at 12:50:38
Post Tools
Thanks that looks cool! (would have never thought of checking videos first)

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #10 - 12/11/14 at 22:00:18
Post Tools
I have played the KID mostly exclusively for basically the entirety of my chess career, starting off with the two Gallagher books, eventually moving to the Bologan book, and then to the Vigorito books. All have their upsides and downs, but in general my current repertoire is probably best reflected by the Vigorito books and a reasonable amount of extra work with databases/home analysis.

Chess24 has a very nice video (basically a Chessbase DVD in length - 34 videos and 7 hours of footage) by Robin Van Campen on the KID. Mostly well established main lines, and there's an associated online ebook that's helpful as well, especially because while going through it you have access to the Chess24 online database and Stockfish too. I might start there honestly:

Van Kampen KID

IP Logged

yolocounty

Yes, I push wood, why
do you ask?

Reply #9 - 12/11/14 at 21:48:42
Post Tools
Agree about Vigorito, although learning to play the Panno is a very serious undertaking that should not be taken lightly.

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 12/08/14 at 20:41:53
Post Tools
I took up the King's Indian this year to sharpen my play against 1.d4 (previously playing the Slav) and have been extremely pleased with the results.  Mostly wins, one draw (which I should have won!) and a loss against an IM due to a time pressure blunder in an even endgame.

Regarding a repertoire, I mostly have relied on David Vigorito's two volume masterpiece "Attacking Chess: The King's Indian" as the foundation as his choices of variations seem to fulfill the promise of the title quite well in my experience.

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #7 - 12/08/14 at 08:04:26
Post Tools
Thanks, I'll definitely have a look at those.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #6 - 12/05/14 at 15:46:11
Post Tools
An example of 0-0 against the Saemisch Panno is this old main line:  6. Be3 Nc6 7. Nge2 a6 8. Qd2 Rb8 (preparing ...b5) 9. Nc1 (preventing ...b5 and preparing to develop the kingside) e5 (a standard idea when the e2-knight moves) 10. Nb3 (10. d5 Nd4 is also normal stuff) ed 11. Nxd4 Nxd4 12. Bxd4 Be6 13. Be2 c6 14. 0-0 b5.  (In the last few years 9. Rc1 has been all the rage.)

In the Averbakh, one of the possibilities after 6...c5 7. d5 is the kind of thing Nakamura played against Gelfand about a year ago.  It was like 1970 all over again.*  Perhaps generally considered +=, but I quote fluffy from ChessPublishing:  "This system is easy to learn and even if White finds a small edge, the positions that arise are quite playable, in my opinion."

*One example I recall from that year is Lombard-Gligoric, which was used by Drazen Marovic in a repertoire book some time ago.  I think Gelfand deviated from Lombard's play on move 16.
« Last Edit: 12/05/14 at 19:06:18 by kylemeister »  

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #5 - 12/05/14 at 09:29:16
Post Tools
Very good thoughts thank you. I would say something starts to shape:

- Classical MDP - ok, definitely like this
- Petrosian - ...a5 & ...Na6 also like this (have no experience but could use my Dutch Leni experience here). Also vaguely remember a Fischer game with an early pre-emptive ...c5 that was amazing (but suppose outdated now).
- The Exchange used to be a problem for me 8 years ago, but have improved my skills in Q-less middlegames & endgames and think I can tackle it.
- 4 Pawns also ok with ...c5. Maybe follow it with benko/wolga or not (but think will be able to find sth I like in this line).

The grey areas are still:
- Averbakh: ok will check the Benoni type centre (but have no experience with those - feeling a bit uncomfortable to tell the truth).
- Fianchetto: I used to hate these lines (and was not employing ...d6, but ...c6). After my Dutch experiences, I am now comfortable to try ...d6 set-ups. I will definitely check the Panno first.

- The Saemisch: Well, I still have no clue here. I may leave it for last. I used to consider this system as an average attempt by White, but nowadays if I was White, it would have been my top reference vs. the KID. I am ignorant though - what is the point of the Panno vs. the Saemisch: you apply it only if White goes for O-O-O? What if White goes O-O? (hate it when my opponent stays flexible!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo