Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll closed Question: What was the Best Opening Book of the Year for 2014?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Avrukh: GM Rep: Slav    
  12 (7.4%)
Bologan: Bologan's Weapons    
  33 (20.4%)
Goh: Sicilian Najdorf Bg5.    
  7 (4.3%)
Kotronias: GM Rep: Sveshnikov    
  15 (9.3%)
Malaniuk & Marusenko: Leningrad Dutch    
  11 (6.8%)
Negi: GM Rep: 1.e4 vs French...    
  51 (31.5%)
Rotella: The Killer Sicilian    
  33 (20.4%)

Total votes: 162
« Last Modified by: Smyslov_Fan on: 02/11/15 at 18:39:24 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Parimarjan Negi wins Book of the Year 2014! (Read 76096 times)
TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Re: Opening Book of the Year 2014!
Reply #69 - 02/16/15 at 02:39:15
Post Tools
CanadianClub wrote on 02/13/15 at 10:00:31:
Voted for Tony Rotella's book.

Thx !

No, thank you!

slates wrote on 02/15/15 at 12:02:08:
I've changed my vote from Bologan to Rotella, now that I have had some time with my copy (which hadn't arrived when I first opted for Bologan).

Thanks, means a lot!

slates wrote on 02/15/15 at 12:02:08:
Anyway, I a happily working through Tony's Kalashnikov book now whereas I flagged during Bologan, although this may also be a reflection of the range of content each author is tackling; nonetheless I have voted for Tony's book now, so hopefully my original vote can be ignored (assuming the poll creator can see it and/or change it?), assuming it registered in the first place, as I didn't think multiple votes from the same user would process?

I think if you check in the thread and it says you've voted for The Killer Sicilian, then your first vote likely didn't register for some reason. I tried to change my vote just to see if it was possible, and I don't see an option for it. If it still says you voted for Bologan, perhaps SmyslovFan can change it, perhaps not.

RoleyPoley wrote on 02/15/15 at 12:46:37:
I havent read Negi's book, only the PDF on Quality Chess's site, and while it looks a great book and has clearly impressed the Likes of Matthew Sadler in his NIC review, i think it is a little too advanced for me as i'm closer to the bottom of the grading spectrum.

That's why i've voted for Tony's book. Not only does it give an excellent introduction to a less explored opening, it also provides plenty of analysis to learn from as you improve as a player. Thus, in my opinion, offering something for a wider audience.

Furthermore, it does something few books have dared to do and that is also include lines against Anti sicilians....not briefly, but comprehensively.

And the cover is a lovely shade of red  Grin

I agree with all of these points. Thanks for the vote!  Grin

Gut Gambit wrote on 02/15/15 at 21:25:11:
The Killer Sicilian!

Many years of sweat and love and it shows. Simply as that...

Good work Tony!

Too many years - and you forgot tears! Thanks for the vote, I'm very pleased with the final product!  Grin

IP Logged

Gut Gambit
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #68 - 02/15/15 at 21:25:11
Post Tools
The Killer Sicilian!

Many years of sweat and love and it shows. Simply as that...

Good work Tony!

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #67 - 02/15/15 at 20:32:58
Post Tools
Negi's and Bologan's books were my candidates. The explanations of Bologan fit better to me. The first chapter about pawn structures and manoeuvering helps me a lot. Someone who knows all this will surely prefer Negi. I can understand Ametanoitos's points. But I think Bologan's way of citing is nearly the best I've seen in chess opening books so far. To be honest: This is an easy task.

Can't say anything about the other books, as I haven't read them.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #66 - 02/15/15 at 12:46:37
Post Tools
I havent read Negi's book, only the PDF on Quality Chess's site, and while it looks a great book and has clearly impressed the Likes of Matthew Sadler in his NIC review, i think it is a little too advanced for me as i'm closer to the bottom of the grading spectrum.

That's why i've voted for Tony's book. Not only does it give an excellent introduction to a less explored opening, it also provides plenty of analysis to learn from as you improve as a player. Thus, in my opinion, offering something for a wider audience.

Furthermore, it does something few books have dared to do and that is also include lines against Anti sicilians....not briefly, but comprehensively.

And the cover is a lovely shade of red  Grin

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #65 - 02/15/15 at 12:02:08
Post Tools
I've changed my vote from Bologan to Rotella, now that I have had some time with my copy (which hadn't arrived when I first opted for Bologan). The more I read of The Killer Sicilian, the more I like it. I still think Bologan has produced something very worthwhile but I did tire of the overuse of naming devices at the start of the book, amongst other things; in the first 22 pages of the introduction to strategic ideas, the first chapter, there were over 60 named 'ideas' such as 'The e5 Bone (Thorn)', 'The Black Bone (Thorn)', 'Paulsen's Hole', 'Stanley's Maneuver', 'Fat Bertha', 'The Baron's Counterattack', 'The White Shark', 'The Black Shark', 'The Zuke-Strike', 'The Big Hook', 'The Centaur Attack', 'The Octopus', 'The Donkey', 'The Pendulum Maneuver' etc.
I doubt I will remember these devices (or the other 45 or so!) from the names although I suppose for many people this method of teaching works.  In smaller doses I think it's more effective but it seemed like everything here was given a name whether it needed it or not.
Anyway, I a happily working through Tony's Kalashnikov book now whereas I flagged during Bologan, although this may also be a reflection of the range of content each author is tackling; nonetheless I have voted for Tony's book now, so hopefully my original vote can be ignored (assuming the poll creator can see it and/or change it?), assuming it registered in the first place, as I didn't think multiple votes from the same user would process?

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #64 - 02/15/15 at 02:57:41
Post Tools
I usually don't say anything, but this is one of the closest contests I've ever seen for the ChessPub Book of the Year!

IP Logged

trandism

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #63 - 02/13/15 at 10:42:37
Post Tools
I voted for Negi's book. There can be no comparison really with anything else we saw this year and probably with most opening books in general.

I still haven't bought Tony's book although I plan to during the weekend.

Bologan's book is practically unreadable.

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #62 - 02/13/15 at 10:00:31
Post Tools
Voted for Tony Rotella's book.

Thx !

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #61 - 02/12/15 at 23:24:12
Post Tools
LostTactic wrote on 02/12/15 at 00:50:36:
The formatting of the book is quite innovative for a chess book and I liked the way Bologan references games at the end like a academic journal would (something I hope catches on with other publishers).

Really? Have you read academic journals? They put the names of the researchers and the date (for example [Aagaard, Ntirlis, 2014] or [Aagaard and Co, 2014] etc) just as every normal chess book puts the names of the players and the name of the tournament (let's say Aagaard- Ntirlis, Glasgow 2014). The "problem" is that a paper might have many contributors with the actual name of the research to be very long. That's why they have an index at the end. While in a chess book like Bologan's you have moves and at the of it...nothing! While in most of the cases there is already there quite a lot of space where two damn names could have been written! It is not long and you gain nothing! This is NOT something that everybody in chess publications should do. PLEASE DON'T!

Also Bologan annoyingly attributes lines to other analysts. One example is the Central game where he says "Emms analyses this", "Emms proposes that" when it is actually Andrew Greet the one that wrote the relevant chapter in the DW: 1.e4 e5 and it is made clear in that book multiple times! Emms was the editor and wrote a couple of other chapters. This general sloppyness is everywhere.

Anyway, i stated my opinion about Bologan's book too many times already. It has certain value, i like the fact that i have it and it helps me a lot, but as a book it is much bellow certain standars in many respects.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #60 - 02/12/15 at 13:05:02
Post Tools
LostTactic wrote on 02/12/15 at 00:50:36:
I voted for Bologan because I learned more from this book about the "Open Games" than any other in terms of: ideas, plans and the terminology of certain manoeuvres.

I also thought it was great that he gives 2 options in all the openings; a sharp/or theoretical one and a low theory alternative.

The formatting of the book is quite innovative for a chess book and I liked the way Bologan references games at the end like a academic journal would (something I hope catches on with other publishers).

I saw the analysis Nikos pointed out that probably refutes a line given by Bologan in the Scotch; and I suspect he has found other lines as well, however, I would be surprised if someone could point out an opening book that is without some errors.

+1

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #59 - 02/12/15 at 05:57:14
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 02/11/15 at 18:38:54:
Scarblac wrote on 02/11/15 at 10:57:32:
Can the poll be edited to fix Kevin Goh Wei Ming's name? It's one person.

My bad! I honestly thought it was two different people. Interestingly, his FIDE card shows that his name is Wei Ming Kevin Goh.

Goh is the family name and Wei Ming is his personal name. Either the parents gave him an English name as well or he adopted one himself.
so, when you have that mix which is quite common in countries which are former colonies of the UK, chinese, culturally with English education, then in a convention which requires the form, first name, last name, what do you do but: Wei Ming Kevin, Goh.

It is a toss whether one prefers the chinese name as preferred first name or the English name as preferred first name.

Therefore equally it could have been: Kevin Wei Ming, Goh.

Of course, if we follow strictly the chinese convention, then it is: Goh, Wei Ming Kevin OR Goh Kevin Wei Ming. Family name comes first in Chinese.

Welcome to multicultural world.

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #58 - 02/12/15 at 00:50:36
Post Tools
I voted for Bologan because I learned more from this book about the "Open Games" than any other in terms of: ideas, plans and the terminology of certain manoeuvres.

I also thought it was great that he gives 2 options in all the openings; a sharp/or theoretical one and a low theory alternative.

I saw the analysis Nikos pointed out that probably refutes a line given by Bologan in the Scotch; and I suspect he has found other lines as well, however, I would be surprised if someone could point out an opening book that is without some errors.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #57 - 02/11/15 at 19:53:31
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 02/11/15 at 07:45:03:
What i wanted to say also, is how much disapointed i am about Bologan's book. Of course it is very valuable to have the opinion of such an outstanding GM in all these classical positions and the book has to offer a lot of good stuff, but the negatives are so many that i really don't think it deserves the title of the Opening Book of the Year. This would have seen to me like an insult! Don't get me wrong, i like Bologan as a person and i have liked many of his works (particularly the Caro Kann Advance video was fantastic as well as the Catalan book), but this one was bellow the standars he had set.

I don't understand (really). An insult to whom? Don't you think the content is very good, as it seems to me, though I am no expert at computer analysis? Certainly the explanatory content is rich.

Is it Bologan's fault that his editor seems to have taken LSD?
« Last Edit: 02/12/15 at 03:37:56 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #56 - 02/11/15 at 18:38:54
Post Tools
Scarblac wrote on 02/11/15 at 10:57:32:
Can the poll be edited to fix Kevin Goh Wei Ming's name? It's one person.

My bad! I honestly thought it was two different people. Interestingly, his FIDE card shows that his name is Wei Ming Kevin Goh.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #55 - 02/11/15 at 15:11:17
Post Tools
I voted for Tony Rotella's impressive book

Wow, thanks Nikos! Means a lot coming from an amazing author such as yourself!  Grin

So, for me it is either Tony of Parimarjan!

It's surreal to read that...  Shocked

DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 02/11/15 at 08:19:52:
I gave the choice to Tony's book

Thanks for the kind words!  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo