Latest Updates:
Normal Topic kings indian overview (Read 3831 times)
yolocounty

Yes, I push wood, why
do you ask?

Re: kings indian overview
Reply #5 - 02/04/15 at 19:17:09
Post Tools
Second the Gallagher notion, although eventually you may want to find a different line against the Fianchetto, depending on your level.  I always felt that the lines he offers against the Fianchetto were a little bit more uncomfortable than Black should need to be.

I'm not necessarily saying the lines are bad, but against a well-prepared player it can be a dreary prospect.

IP Logged

whitecraw

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #4 - 02/03/15 at 14:06:16
Post Tools
Mastering the King's Indian Defense by Bellin & Ponzetto (1990). Its an old book, and difficult to get, but should give you exactly what you are looking for.

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 02/02/15 at 14:51:33
Post Tools
Thanks. The books look interesting. I'll start with Gallagher since the English edition of Bronstein's book is --- although not so hard to find --- slightly more expensive (>$100).

IP Logged

MaxJudd

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 02/01/15 at 13:01:42
Post Tools
I used to have Bronstein on the King's Indian.  It is really good for an introduction (lots of discussion of plans coupled with sample games) but now is hard to find.

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #1 - 02/01/15 at 12:39:32
Post Tools
Gallagher's intro book, then his repertoire one.
Both very good. Enthusiastically written too.

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

kings indian overview
02/01/15 at 11:08:24
Post Tools
I would like advice on how to start studying the kings indian. I have been playing  Modern Benoni and Leningrad Dutch for more than 20 years and recently also the mainline Ruy Lopez as Black so some of the resulting structures are familiar to me but until very recently I have not touched the kings indian.

I am not interested in a repertoire yet. Rather I am looking for general explanantion of setups Black can chose  (Panno, Nd7/e5/exd4/,Na6,Wolga-gambit like setups, Benoni like setups etc) and their respective strengths and weaknesses against the various White systems. An explanation of the historical  development would also be nice.

So far I plan to go through Gligoric's Mar del Plata book and Bellin & Ponzetto's book. Are there any newer books of a similar nature I c/should look at? Since Bellin's book is 25 years old newer systems will not be covered there.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo