Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ponziani Opening. Questions (Read 18135 times)
Peekay
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Ponziani Opening. Questions
Reply #3 - 02/05/15 at 12:38:24
Post Tools
Jupp53 wrote on 02/05/15 at 12:02:01:
4.Bd3 can't be the best as it violates the principles of fast development and piece coordination and fighting against the opponents plans. So after 3.c3 and 4.Bd3 black must have a little advantage or chess is not a logical game.

That is correct. I read some stuff about this opening line and it states that it is not for patzers like me, because one needs to be able to see upto 4 moves ahead when they use this opening line (I can only assess 2 moves ahead).

The advantage of 4Bd3 is that it points straight to h8. So if (and usually they do) black castles short side, white only needs a check at h8 with his queen and it's kissing the dust for black (only that I rarely get the opportunity to do this but the possibility is very alluring Cheesy )

The dynamics of this opening 4Bd3 (as far as I think) allow for a quick black development but his pieces act alone without coordination. On the contrary white develops rather slowly but with outstanding coordination and with all canons pointed at black's king side.

Somehow the computer can use this setup (on white side) to make very surprising and deadly attacks on black's king side but I can't do that Sad

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #2 - 02/05/15 at 12:02:01
Post Tools
4.Bd3 can't be the best as it violates the principles of fast development and piece coordination and fighting against the opponents plans. So after 3.c3 and 4.Bd3 black must have a little advantage or chess is not a logical game.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 02/05/15 at 09:57:40
Post Tools
Wouldn't think this was the best way to get properly open/tactical games. The Lopez is objectively a bit better but actually quite slow/strategic.

Something like the two knights/evans?

IP Logged

Peekay
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Ponziani Opening. Questions
02/05/15 at 08:06:57
Post Tools
When with white, my openings go this way:

1e4 e5
2Nf3 Nc6
3c3.            This 3rd move makes it a Ponziani setup.

Now my effort for this slow move (c3) is to try and establish a strong center game with 4d4

My openings tend to unfold in these lines. Just keep in mind that my aim is to build pressure on black in the center.

3c3 Nf6.   4Bd3 d5.      Advise me how to follow up with this. I tend to provide protection for my e4 pawn with 5Qe2 but it cramps up my game and with my queen knight jammed up, black easily develops faster and steals the initiative.

3c3 Nf6.  4Bd3 d6.   5Bc2 Be7.   6O-O O-O.   7d4 (finally) Bg4.   How do I continue from here? If I try 8dxe5, it is invariably always replied with ...Nxe5 which leaves me feeling exposed and dumb. 8d5 makes them retreat their Q knight but now my white bishop is reduced to being a bodyguard for my e4 pawn and there is NO HOPE for me to use it effectively against the castled king as the pawn structure in the center is closed up. Also, I find ...Bg4 very annoying as it pins my K knight and blackbcan also exchange it for his white bishop. (my plan is to keep him alive and use it against the king for a deadly attack on g7 or h7. ?..Bg4 just makes it all the more frustrating and slow for me Sad

3c3 Nf6.  4Bd3 d6.  5Bc2 Bg4.  5d4 (finally) Qd7
a   6O-O is replied with ...O-O-O which leads to a painfully slow and mentally torturing game.
6d5 Ne7.   7O-O g6.  Then black goes on to fianchetto the cramped up black bishop and castle to king-side. I feel sort of confident here but without any reasonable advantage.

I prefer an open, quick game with sharp attacks. Can I accomplish this with this type of opening or should I go back to the school and learn different variations of the Ruy Lopez or Spanish Game instead?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo