Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Løfberg Publishing Larsen Tome (Read 7355 times)
Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: Løfberg Publishing Larsen Tome
Reply #19 - 02/27/15 at 00:31:34
Post Tools
Thanks dfan, that's clarifying.

I realize now that some of the new content (compared to 50 udvalgte partier / Master of Counter-attack) may have been written directly in Spanish by Larsen, who lived in Argentina for years.

The Danish Alle brikker angriber! has 74 main games, so it must cover the same content as the 2006 Bent Larsen: Todas Las Piezas Atacan. Though some of the extra articles (on Fischer etc.) are also included, and the editors must surely have sticked with Larsen's original text for the first 50 games and whatever else was originally written in Danish (no need to translate back and forth).

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #18 - 02/25/15 at 22:38:03
Post Tools
From the Editor's Foreword:

Quote:
Larsen's first best games collection written by himself appeared in 1969 in Denmark and was entitled 50 Udvalgte Partier, 1948-69 (Samlerens Forlag). The English edition was published in 1970 by Batsford as Bent Larsen: Master of Counter-Attack. One year later a German edition followed, Ich spiele auf Sieg (Kühnle-Woods+Co), for which Larsen had analysed ten further games. In 2006 Spanish grandmaster Alfonso Romero Holmes published his first volume of a new Spanish edition, Bent Larsen: Todas Las Piezas Atacan. This collection contained 74 games analysed by Larsen, the last one being his victory against Miguel Quinteros in Manila 1973. In 2009, a German version of this book was published by SchachDepot as Bent Larsen: Alle Figuren greifen an.

In the meantime Romero Holmes had obtained an extensive number of articles that Larsen had written for various newspapers and magazines from Larsen's second wife Laura. This material appeared in 2012 as the second volume of Bent Larsen: Todas Las Piezas Atacan.

The present English edition is based on these Spanish editions.

The typos in moves that I found were in comments that I guess were not entered as variations. Other typos were more trivial, such as an Axel being renamed Alex.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #17 - 02/25/15 at 20:49:44
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 02/25/15 at 13:37:59:
There are a fair number of typos and mistakes, unfortunately (verified by comparing with Master of Counterattack), though not enough to stop me from recommending the book. I think this may be partially due to the fact that it was translated through Spanish first.

Really? That's weird. I assume this book is the English version of "Alle brikker angriber!". Was it that hard to find someone to translate directly from the Danish?

If any of the typos are in moves, maybe they are corrected in the Forward Chess e-book. An illegal move shouldn't survive through to a playable e-book unless the editor/transcriber is asleep.

IP Logged

trandism

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 02/25/15 at 20:03:12
Post Tools
The NIC edition is a must-have for Larsen's fans IMHO.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #15 - 02/25/15 at 13:37:59
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 02/24/15 at 07:28:21:
BTW, Tony, since you are a fan, have you gone through the Bent Larsen's best games published recently by NIC? Is it worth getting? Are the annotations of any value? I am also a fan and interested in his games.

The annotations are great; Larsen is an entertaining and instructive writer.

There are a fair number of typos and mistakes, unfortunately (verified by comparing with Master of Counterattack), though not enough to stop me from recommending the book. I think this may be partially due to the fact that it was translated through Spanish first.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #14 - 02/25/15 at 02:41:08
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 02/24/15 at 07:28:21:
BTW, Tony, since you are a fan, have you gone through the Bent Larsen's best games published recently by NIC? Is it worth getting? Are the annotations of any value? I am also a fan and interested in his games.

I have it, but have not gone through the material that is added compared to the old, White, Master of Counterattack book.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #13 - 02/25/15 at 00:01:20
Post Tools
Thanks fling for the reply. Much appreciated. Will have to give Forward Chess a go one day once I sort out my hardware issues.

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 02/24/15 at 12:44:05
Post Tools
I got the Best Games from the Forward Chess app. I love being able to go through the games whenever I have some spare time and not being at home. I like the annotations, and also the history behind some of the games and tournaments.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #11 - 02/24/15 at 07:28:21
Post Tools
You can get Lars Grahn'sbook direct from author:
Quote:
My book "When Bent met Boris and last dance with Lizzie" (candidate match Spassky-Larsen, Malmö 1968) with party comments by Magnus Carlsen's SECOND Peter Heine Nielsen costs 140 SEK. Freight costs 30 SEK. Orders to grahn1@gmail.com then I send book and invoice. The shipping cost is the same for the other Nordic countries.

see his blog in swedish: http://larsgrahn.blogspot.com.au/

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #10 - 02/24/15 at 06:35:29
Post Tools
Or as an old line about the relationships of the languages goes, "Norwegian is Danish spoken in Swedish."

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 02/24/15 at 06:23:23
Post Tools
This is true, I forgot to add that, Swedes and the Norwegians cannot understand, but Danish and Norwegian are very close in terms of scribing, and I mean about Bokmål. This is how it goes:

easy to speak/understand the other: svenska/norsk
easy to scribe/read well: norsk/dansk
easy to read and get general idea: norsk/dansk/svenska

I do not know much about these books on the middlgame, as I usually buy opening books and endgame books (maybe a bit weird?), but even if it may appear that you do not understand the text completely, just having the book could prove to be good anyway in terms of chess education/interest.

As an example, in addition to your excellent book on the Kalashnikow, I also have Dégainez la Kalashnikov, the original French version, my French is okay in terms of reading, but my speaking might embarass the eardrums of whoever hears me Smiley. But the importance is that the chess content helped me.

IP Logged

Tricklev

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 02/24/15 at 06:13:15
Post Tools
DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 02/23/15 at 23:41:04:
Danish is actually close to English, before the Norman invasion. All of those towns in England like Grimsby are based on Danish by, for example. In any case, Danish (at least to read) is not so difficult for Germanic speakers. And those from Sverige and Norge can read Danish for free. I never heard of someone from Sverige or Norge who cannot at least read dansk Smiley

Speaking is different though. Dansk has no "song" like the other two Smiley

This might be a bit offtopic, but it´s to funny to just let it slide. While it's true that reading dansk is fairly easy, it's completely impossible to understand it, not only for us swedes, it's even impossible for the danish themselfs!

http://cphpost.dk/news/the-danish-languages-irritable-vowel-syndrome.129.html

So if the Larsen tome ever comes out as a audio book, avoid it.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #7 - 02/24/15 at 03:16:05
Post Tools
In any case I would buy it.

I will probably end up hassling their sales department and then buying it, but I was hoping that someone had some inside info.

Stigma wrote on 02/24/15 at 01:13:20:
And Italian is beautiful. I wouldn't mind being able to understand Verdi's and Puccini's operas without a translation.

I am hoping to take a 2-week vacation to Italy this Summer. Perhaps visit Nikos in Greece for a few days too.

Grin

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #6 - 02/24/15 at 01:13:20
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/24/15 at 01:05:52:
Spanish and Italian likely wont help me much anyway!  Sad

Cheer up. Smiley Spanish is one of the top 3 world languages (along with English and Chinese); I'm sure you will find a use for it someday. And Italian is beautiful. I wouldn't mind being able to understand Verdi's and Puccini's operas without a translation.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #5 - 02/24/15 at 01:05:52
Post Tools
If you know Dutch or German, or even better, Swedish (svenska) or Norwegian (norsk), or Icelandic, to a decent level, you can at least interpret most of it without knowing how to pronounce anything.

Unfortunately, here in the US learning a second language isn't forced upon us, especially not at a young age as it should be. I took 4 years of Spanish in school and a year and a half of Italian in college, but because English is so pervasive, we don't have a lot of opportunities to practice second languages anyway. Sad

Spanish and Italian likely wont help me much anyway!  Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo