Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Barry vs Tarzan (Read 3224 times)
urusov

Re: Barry vs Tarzan
Reply #2 - 03/08/15 at 01:45:56
Post Tools
You should see SOS Vol. 6, Chapter 6, for Arthur Kogan's article on "The Tarzan Attack" (1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.Nc3 d5 4.Bf4 Bg7 5.Qd2 planning a quick Bh6) which certainly looks more caveman-like than the typical Barry plan with 5.e3, Be2 followed by attack with Ne5 and h4-h5.  Both ways have their merits.  I think the problem with Qd2 is that Black can play a quick Ne4, as in this game:
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1428497
But Kogan thinks White is doing fine.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Barry vs Tarzan
Reply #1 - 03/05/15 at 21:09:23
Post Tools
Mtal wrote on 03/04/15 at 20:55:45:
Hi all, I was just wondering, is there a big difference between the Barry Attack when compared to the Tarzan Attack?

You should tell us what moves you consider constitute the various systems. Mark Hebden plays lines where he will play d4, Nf3, Bf4, Nc3, e3 etc. I'm sure there are players who of necessity have studied the most accurate Black responses, but a broad brush approach is what most defenders would use. In other words they would have a defensive or counter attacking set up in mind without really knowing the precise name of the rather amorphous system they were facing.

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Barry vs Tarzan
03/04/15 at 20:55:45
Post Tools
Hi all, I was just wondering, is there a big difference between the Barry Attack when compared to the Tarzan Attack? Is the move order in the Tarzan a way to avoid some of the challenging lines in the Barry? From what I read, c5 is a good move vs the Barry, maybe the Tarzan move order is a better try? Thanks for any info.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo