Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Qritique my opening repertoire (Read 3278 times)
ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Re: Qritique my opening repertoire
Reply #4 - 03/12/15 at 18:05:53
Post Tools
They're all very established main-line systems; what is there to critique?  How are we to know whether they suit you or not? 

A fair amount of early Queen exchange lines there, and you're probably giving Black a good amount of dynamic potential in a lot of lines as White.  In general I'd suggest looking for lines that are more dynamic (I'm thinking mostly of your lines against the Slav, QGA, and playing the Berlin Endgame), but obviously all of your lines are perfectly good.  I'd personally switch your Berlin to the Open Defense or the Breyer or one of another dozen or so choices against the Lopez, but that's me.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #3 - 03/11/15 at 22:41:18
Post Tools
WOLK wrote on 03/11/15 at 16:27:20:
I would like feedback on the following repertoire:

Your choices generate very few/limited pawn structures but this seems to be precisely what you wanted.  If you must have your white bishop on g2 every single game you might also check out the Wojo's Weapons books (and Smyslov's game collection of course).  I believe the Wojo's systems are more solid (less ambitious) than Avrukh.

Personally in terms of promoting a broad chess education i much prefer Schandorff's 2-volume set as it aims to crush Black with a giant pawn mass in the center supported by f2-f3, as inspired by Botvinnik The Patriarch.  I also find this approach more fun as I want an option to put the bishop on d3 or c4 and play for a mating attack as circumstances may allow.  To me, the Schandorff books serve a broader chess education and  function as a quality games collection rather than strictly an opening manual.  I am not a strong player or competing with Fide-titled players, but that is just my 2c as a weak hobbyist / club player.

Probably your goal of not focusing on openings is best served by ignoring everything in this thread and, for that matter, this message board, in favor of completing your curriculum.  GL

2078 uscf
IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #2 - 03/11/15 at 20:17:27
Post Tools
I like the idea of selecting a limited repertoire and then making time for all the other (non-opening) stuff that really decides games.

I (and probably many people here) could benefit from doing that, but the problem is openings are too interesting...

Smyslov_Fan wrote on 03/11/15 at 19:02:47:
One possible way to reduce your work load would be to start playing Bf4 QGD's as white. That fits your general goal of playing lines that aren't likely to change dramatically in five years and reduces the amount you'd have to memorize.

Just a brief comment on this: It's not clear Bf4 QGDs really reduce the amount of theory compared to the Catalan. The problem is after 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Nc3 Black is by no means limited to 4...Be7; and the Semi-Slav 4...c6, Ragozin 4...Bb4 (or Westphalia? 4...Nbd7) and Vienna 4...dxc4 can all get quite theoretical.

Graham Burgess' recent book A Cunning Opening Repertoire for White used the 5.Bf4 QGD combined with relative sidelines against the other 4th moves. Though the gambit line 4...c6 5.g3!? against the Semi-Slav was a bit out of character with the rest of his (generally very solid) repertoire. That book is probably also geared to lower-rated players, or someone looking for some easily learned backup lines.
« Last Edit: 03/11/15 at 23:27:08 by Stigma »  

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #1 - 03/11/15 at 19:02:47
Post Tools
Hi! Welcome to the Chess pub!

My first impression is that your repertoire requires quite a bit of memorization, at least for the white side. That may not be a bad thing if you're +2100, But it will take a bit of work to keep up to date on the white repertoire in particular.

But at least you've chosen some positions as Black which allow you to play a bit more strategically, such as the Berlin endgame and the TMB. It's unlikely there'll be too many tactical novelties coming up there.

One possible way to reduce your work load would be to start playing Bf4 QGD's as white. That fits your general goal of playing lines that aren't likely to change dramatically in five years and reduces the amount you'd have to memorize.

IP Logged

WOLK
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Qritique my opening repertoire
03/11/15 at 16:27:20
Post Tools
Hello:)

This is my first post on chesspub. I would like some feedback on my repertoire selection for the purpose to work hard at other parts of my game.

I am a 2100-player who have been using to much time at openings. I want to use my future efforts on middlegames (Yusupov series/Aagaard serier), endgame (Dvoretsky/de la villa) and OTB play (slow games). To this end, I therefore want to select an opening repertoire that I can stick with for a long time (5 years) without (to)much working at critical lines. At the same time I do not want to play system-openings for White like Stonewall or KIA.

As White I have selected an opening repertoire mirroring Avrukhs repertoire. I think this repertoire suits the purpose of beeing solid, positional without the critical lines seen in openings like Bg5/Meran against Semi Slav and Main Lines in the Slav, NID, Grunfeld and KID.

As Black I have selceted QGD and Berlin for its simplisity in dealing With I.d4 and 1.e4. My opinion is that both openings do not demand very much study to play well against 2100-2400 opposition. The QGD also makes it easy to deal With 1.c4 and 1.Nf3.

I would like feedback on the following repertoire:

With White:
     Kings Indian/Grunfeld/Modern/Dutch/Benoni/Benko = Fianchetto-system
     Slav/Semi Slav = Slow Slav
     QGD = Catalan
     QGA = 3.Nf3 + 7.dxc5
     Tarrasch = Main Line 9. dxc5

With Black against 1.d4. 1.c4 and 1.Nf3: QGD      Exchange Variation = 3Be7 and 5..c6
     Blackburn Variation = 6Nbd7
     Catalan = Main Line 6dxc4
     Main Line QGD = TMB
     1.Nf3 = 1d5 with transpositions to QGD
     1.c4 = 1e6 and 2d5 with transpositions to QGD

With Black against 1.e4: The Berlin Endgame      Kings Gambit =2...d5
     Vienna Game  = 3d5
     Ponziani = 3d5
     Glek Variation = 4d5
     Scotch Four Knights = 4Bb4
     Scotch = 3Nf6 + 7Ba6
     Italian game = 3Bc5
     d3-antiberliner = 3Bc5

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo