Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Mainline opening theory in the UK (Read 2074 times)
CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Re: Mainline opening theory in the UK
Reply #4 - 04/09/15 at 07:47:04
Post Tools
Concerning all the stuff after 1.d4, it's a question of knowing them well (being you Black).  You have to equalize in the Grünfeld, in the KID... but usually is White who has to be cautious not to end slightly worse in the (Tromp, London, Colle...) setups.

First time you face them you suffer (not in the London I think but you suffer in the Trompowsky and in the Colle for sure), second time you realize what went wrong and play according to that. OK. Third time, you pick up a book or vid or something and then you can play safelly and get (at least) an equal middlegame.

In the sicilian anti's I think it's not that easy. The closed, KIA, GrandPrix... are OK for black (and very easy to play against), but you have to be prepared in the c3 sicilian, in the Morra and especially in the Rossolimo to not get worse easily.

Today it's most rewarded to master that antis that to know by heart the mainline theory. I also think it's most interesting to play a mainline Sveshnikov or mainline Sozin attack than the KIA (or benoni than London system, or McCutcheon than exchange french) and I play chess for fun, but... not everybody thinks like me.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 04/08/15 at 18:21:03
Post Tools
It is not surprising that the experts on the anti-openings are mainly British, Pert on Trompowsky, Jones on basically all anti-Sicilians, Hebden in the 2. Nc3, the Grand Prix Attack in general, Barry Attack. The London is named så for a reason Smiley

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 04/06/15 at 19:37:41
Post Tools
That's true, but yes it is very, very prevalent in England and does get wearing at times. Not sure if its even more true up North or not Smiley

IP Logged

Trefor
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 04/06/15 at 15:43:53
Post Tools
The thing I enjoy most about playing chess is that it is such a rich, varied  and interesting sport that there is room for those who follow the mainlines of the Super GMs; room for those who would rather play valid openings but haven't got the time nor the inclination to learn 25 moves of theory and even room for those of us who know no opening theory ( or even worse play 'System' set ups)
I think chess is much more fun when a game is decided in the middle or end game

IP Logged

snakebite

I Love ChessPublishing!

Mainline opening theory in the UK
04/06/15 at 14:01:20
Post Tools
Does anyone else find that at sub 2200 (200ECF) in the UK, that there is a real paucity of mainlines. In the last few years I cannot recall an occasion where I seen a mainline closed Spanish either on my board or an adjacent one in a match that I've played in.

There are also a glut of Anti-Sicilians, as well endless Tromps, Torres, Colles and Londons after 1 d4.

I've always thought that mainlines are mainlines as they offer the best chances for an edge and side lines may only be equal....but at club level it really doesn't seem to matter!

Should we all abandon analysis of Bg5 Najdorfs in favour of the c3 Sicilian?  Or take up the London instead of the Classical Nimzo or MDP KID?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo