Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Transpositions leading to the French Exchange? (Read 20733 times)
tipau

I Like ChessPublishing!

Re: Transpositions leading to the French Exchange?
Reply #28 - 04/26/15 at 00:28:35
Post Tools
HagenWatch1 wrote on 04/25/15 at 23:04:49:
I see the Burn variation doesn't get much coverage, either. Is there a reason why this won't be covered in Volume 3?

As TonyRo wrote below, the books by Berg are showing a repertoire and so will (usually) only cover one main Black option. In this case the line covered is the Winawer (3.Nc3 Bb4), which is why the Burn variation and any other lines after 3...Nf6, 3...dxe4 or other moves won't be found.

FIDE: ~2100

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 04/25/15 at 23:04:49
Post Tools
I see the Burn variation doesn't get much coverage, either. Is there a reason why this won't be covered in Volume 3? Or maybe I'm wrong and it will be covered. I don't know.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #26 - 04/25/15 at 15:55:55
Post Tools
I know that Lakdawala didn't cover 4. Bg5 Be7.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #25 - 04/25/15 at 15:55:22
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 04/25/15 at 15:20:41:
GM (sic) Watson doesn't cover 4. Bg5 Be7 (which is what I think of as the Classical) in his book, but naturally has been known to address it at Chess Publishing.

Certainly 3...Nf6 is already usually called the Classical. Maybe 4.Bg5 Be7 is also (or originally) the Classical, but this is bound to create confusion. Is it the "Classical Classical"? The "über-Classical?" The "Classical proper"?

We need a comittee for the logical naming of chess openings!

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Marcellus

Reply #24 - 04/25/15 at 15:40:29
Post Tools
tipau wrote on 04/25/15 at 15:08:02:
HagenWatch1 wrote on 04/25/15 at 11:59:23:
You must mean Playing the French by Jacob Aagaard and Nikolaos Ntirlis...*not* Play the French by GM John Watson.

Actually both Watson (who's an IM) and Aagaard & Nikos cover the Classical variation.

Eingorn (Rock Solid Chess Opening Repertoire) and Lakdawala (in the Classical French MBM) also both cover 3...Nf6 variations.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #23 - 04/25/15 at 15:20:41
Post Tools
GM (sic) Watson doesn't cover 4. Bg5 Be7 (which is what I think of as the Classical) in his book, but naturally has been known to address it at Chess Publishing.  (It is perhaps a little-known fact that there are sources for opening information other than repertoire books.)

IP Logged

tipau

I Like ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 04/25/15 at 15:08:02
Post Tools
HagenWatch1 wrote on 04/25/15 at 11:59:23:
You must mean Playing the French by Jacob Aagaard and Nikolaos Ntirlis...*not* Play the French by GM John Watson.

Actually both Watson (who's an IM) and Aagaard & Nikos cover the Classical variation.

FIDE: ~2100

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 04/25/15 at 11:59:23
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 04/25/15 at 04:22:31:
HagenWatch1 wrote on 04/25/15 at 03:25:38:
I can only assume this means the Classical *will* get coverage in a future volume by someone else commissioned to study that variation.

I could be wrong on this, but wasn't the Classical variation Nikos' choice in Play the French? The Rubenstein is quite a bit less popular nowadays, but as kylemeister said, Langrock is a very recent source if you're interested in that sort of thing...

You must mean Playing the French by Jacob Aagaard and Nikolaos Ntirlis...*not* Play the French by GM John Watson. As for the Rubinstein variation...I'll study the White side from Negi's book and do analysis with my copy of Aquarium 2015.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #20 - 04/25/15 at 04:22:31
Post Tools
HagenWatch1 wrote on 04/25/15 at 03:25:38:
I can only assume this means the Classical *will* get coverage in a future volume by someone else commissioned to study that variation.

I could be wrong on this, but wasn't the Classical variation Nikos' choice in Play the French? The Rubenstein is quite a bit less popular nowadays, but as kylemeister said, Langrock is a very recent source if you're interested in that sort of thing...

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #19 - 04/25/15 at 03:50:06
Post Tools
I believe the Rubinstein isn't to IM Watson's taste, but IM Hannes Langrock recently wrote a repertoire book on it.

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 04/25/15 at 03:25:38
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 04/25/15 at 02:57:22:
Just as an FYI (since it's come up more than once) - "repertoire" in chess book terminology generally means that the author is selecting one variation out of many options, but for all tries for the opponent. So what you end up getting is something that presents a complete "repertoire" for the color concerned, but is not comprehensive with regards to all of the options available to that color. Berg chose the Winawer, so you will not see the Rubenstein or the Classical covered. Similarly, in Schandorff's Caro-Kann book, he chose 3...Bf5 against the Advance instead of 3...c5, etc.

Berg's books looks impressive!  Grin

I can only assume this means the Classical *will* get coverage in a future volume by someone else commissioned to study that variation. As for the Rubinstein variation...ironically, it's the Negi book that covers it...albeit from the White side. I can only hope we'll see a Rubinstein volume on the French someday as well. Maybe GM John Watson will get the honors.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #17 - 04/25/15 at 02:57:22
Post Tools
Just as an FYI (since it's come up more than once) - "repertoire" in chess book terminology generally means that the author is selecting one variation out of many options, but for all tries for the opponent. So what you end up getting is something that presents a complete "repertoire" for the color concerned, but is not comprehensive with regards to all of the options available to that color. Berg chose the Winawer, so you will not see the Rubenstein or the Classical covered. Similarly, in Schandorff's Caro-Kann book, he chose 3...Bf5 against the Advance instead of 3...c5, etc.

Berg's books looks impressive!  Grin

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 04/25/15 at 00:35:59
Post Tools
Thanks for the link and the game. Can't wait for this to be in my hands.  I'm wondering why the Rubinstein and the Classical aren't covered?

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #15 - 04/24/15 at 23:52:14
Post Tools
http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/products/1/219/grandmaster_repertoire_16_-_the_fre...

Incidentally, here's an Exchange game of Berg's (black against Kezli Ong, rated in the 2300s, in the 2004-5 Rilton Cup) which stuck in my memory, perhaps for the way the sharp stuff led to an equalish endgame:

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 04/24/15 at 23:33:20
Post Tools
Ooohhh...that's great news. 34 pages! My mouth is salivating at the chance to dig into that section right away. Heh...my opponents won't be able to force a draw from me. Can't wait to see what analysis this one comes up with. The French 4th Edition is shying away from the Bg4 line and recommends the Nc6 reply to unbalance the position. This will be interesting to see. BTW...I went to their webpage to see the PDF extracts but couldn't find that one. Where did you get it?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo