Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Choose between 7...Dc7 and 7...Sb6 in Slaw (Read 7502 times)
fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Choose between 7...Dc7 and 7...Sb6 in Slaw
Reply #9 - 05/06/15 at 07:02:29
Post Tools
Nobody interested in analysing the main line in the Slav?

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 04/24/15 at 08:03:23
Post Tools
They both followed Gelfand-Akopian from 2008, but this is analysed by Avrukh's in GM17 as worse for Black after the played move 23. Rd4! He proposes an improvement on move 21, a move which is pretty natural. Ramirez does not mention anything about this at Chessbase.com morw than comment that Black ended up worse... I wonder if he has read GM17 or looked at the specific line at all recently. And also, are there any improvements for White?

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 04/24/15 at 02:16:55
Post Tools
I notice that Mamedjarow played the 7...Dc7 line yesterday and got an interesting position. But when I watched the live broadcast it seemed that both players were a bit confused when the theory ended.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #6 - 04/22/15 at 21:53:25
Post Tools
Speaking of solid, the Rublevsky/Kramnik wall with 6...e6 7.f3 c5 8.e4 Bg6 has held up pretty well, hasn't it?

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 04/22/15 at 21:06:48
Post Tools
I do not know much about that line except that it is even crazier than 7...Dc7. But I usually want a sound position in the Slaw, so it would have to be 6...Sbd7.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #4 - 04/22/15 at 15:11:19
Post Tools
Incidentally, I wonder if the three-pawns-for-a-piece line with 6...e6 could be making a comeback; I recently noticed Vallejo and Shankland playing it.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 04/17/15 at 22:20:55
Post Tools
I just saw the Slaw update in the theoery section and it gives the game 9. h4 in Korobow-Solak, saying,

White is playing against the f5-bishop with this move (9...e6 is well met by 10.f3 threatening to trap the prelate), but there are many other ideas beneath the surface and I recommend you check out my 15.Qa7! novelty which I believe gives White an edge. So to answer a recent ChessPub Forum question, I would go with 7...Qc7 which I indicated was in good shape in an earlier update and that's still the case today.

Was the question mine? If so, thanks Cheesy

I suppose Black basically has to enter the tactical 7...Qc7 to keep theoretical equality then? Do players who use the Slaw solidly tend to go 7...Qc7 recently?

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 04/14/15 at 13:33:38
Post Tools
If you only want to be semi-crazy, you can play 11. -f6 in the Dc7 line and then avoid the Morozevich line with 11. -g5. Avrukh covers both variations in his excellent book on the Slav.

I have never played the Slav with black but will definitely try it in my next tournament!

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 04/11/15 at 16:00:34
Post Tools
The line with ...Nb6 is named the Sokolov variation in Vigus' book Play the Slav IIRC and what he recommends. It seems OK theoretically and more solid than ...Qc7, although less active I guess. I am changing to ...Qc7 because I want to play more crazy positions  Grin Based on what you have posted here earlier I would think that you should try that variation based on Play the Slav. Check also e.g. the critical lines in Avrukh's GM1.

I don't have access to my computer right now but I think this line has also been played by some of the top chinese players.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Choose between 7...Dc7 and 7...Sb6 in Slaw
04/10/15 at 21:06:29
Post Tools
I never could find a definite answer between what the difference is theoretically between 7...Dc7 or 7...Sb6 in this position:

I know that generally 7...Dc7 is more tactical and crazy and requires more memorisation, but 7...Sb6 has some weird variations too, although it looks solider. I do not know much about how they are now, but last I checked, both were theoretically fine that White has problems proving an advantage here.

I read Awrukh's Slaw bookk which recommends 7...Dc7 and became interested in 7...Sb6 after seeing Markus Ragger's video series on Chess24:

https://chess24.com/es/learn/advanced/ebook/slawische-verteidigung-ragger/13

although this one you need to know some German.

Would it just be that solider players choose 7...Sb6 and more tactical the 7...Dc7? I have seen Olga Girya play a nice game in 7...Sb6 where she marched her king up during a multi-piece endgame in the Tromsø Olympiad last year, and she seems to play it regularly. The Chinese elite GMs seem to play 7...Dc7, but in general I do not get 6. Ne5 so often, so I do not have too much experience in this line.

I generally play the Slaw to be solid and safer, the Grünfeld when I want complications. Or is it the case like between ...e6 and ...e5 in the Najdorf, a matter of taste, and some using both  regularly depending on the opponent?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo