Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Latvian/Elephant Gambits not in Bologan's book? (Read 2912 times)
Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: Latvian/Elephant Gambits not in Bologan's book?
Reply #6 - 04/14/15 at 21:42:22
Post Tools
I actually have The Latvian Gambit Lives! somewhere, and it is a very thorough book. But somehow it didn't inspire me to try the opening with Black... I bought it mainly because I didn't want to give those gambit maniacs any free points against me.

I ended up choosing the Bronstein variation with d4, Nc4 and Be2 in the main line as a good compromise between solidity and fair chances of an edge.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #5 - 04/14/15 at 19:31:00
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 04/14/15 at 01:13:46:
Though incredibly, a certain English GM wrote not just one, but two books on the Latvian Gambit! Maybe he begs to differ. Wink

The 2nd book was basically a major revision of the first, if I remember. Anyway, it brought me quite a few points in the past! Smiley

IP Logged

mangler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 04/14/15 at 19:04:26
Post Tools
I am wondering of there will be a volume 2 covering a black line vs the Ruy Lopez.

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 04/14/15 at 01:57:58
Post Tools
I wonder if there's going to be a Volume 2 for Black with d4 openings.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 04/14/15 at 01:14:56
Post Tools
The point of the book is to provide a repertoire for Black, based on the point that Black is aiming for the Spanish. That is why everything is geared towards 1. e5 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6, not move 2 deviations

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #1 - 04/14/15 at 01:13:46
Post Tools
Isn't Bologan's Black Weapons basically a repertoire for Black covering everything after 1.e4 e5 except the Ruy Lopez? Meaning, he invites the Ruy Lopez, but doesn't cover it in the book?

I'm pretty sure Bologan, like every other GM today, considers 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 simply a better move than either 2...d5 or 2...f5.

Though incredibly, a certain English GM wrote not just one, but two books on the Latvian Gambit! Maybe he begs to differ. Wink

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Latvian/Elephant Gambits not in Bologan's book?
04/14/15 at 00:58:23
Post Tools
I have GM Victor Bologan's new book called Black Weapons and love the coverage of the openings in there. A lot of stuff here that I can't find anywhere else except for obscure discussions on websites scattered all over. However I was surprised to learn after looking through the book that two lines aren't discussed at all. The Latvian and the Elephant Gambits. These are relatively well known lines and I'm surprised they're not in the book.

I would have loved to see a chapter on the Latvian Gambit alone because there's no publication that I know of in modern memory that discusses this line. The Elephant Gambit is another one that would have elicited whoops of joy had there been a chapter included in the book but no dice. Any thoughts why these two openings are not in the book? If they are I can't see where they're discussed or maybe they lead to transpositions to other openings not mentioned in the book and that's why they don't get separate treatment?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo