Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Question about GM book format on the English (Read 7326 times)
katar

look another year went
by

Re: Question about GM book format on the English
Reply #12 - 04/17/15 at 01:10:20
Post Tools
Scarblac wrote on 04/16/15 at 08:10:49:
Conclusion: the paperback version is sold out, and they don't see business sense in reprinting it while they still have hardcover versions around.

Agree.
See http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/blog/3129
Conclusion: once Scarblac has posted in a thread, anything that follows is superfluous.

2078 uscf
IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #11 - 04/17/15 at 00:55:26
Post Tools
HagenWatch1 wrote on 04/16/15 at 23:29:23:
Alekhine's Best Games is still in print and it hasn't even been updated to algebraic notation.

I get your point in general, but this is an unfortunate example, as there have been a few algebraic editions of Alekhine's collections, most recently this one.

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 04/16/15 at 23:29:23
Post Tools
Scarblac wrote on 04/16/15 at 12:38:26:
Well, it's a six year old book. Most books go out of print after a while, yes, and this is an opening book to boot. I have no idea what their plans are though.

Alekhine's Best Games is still in print and it hasn't even been updated to algebraic notation. No...something else is causing this issue with the English Volume 1. I'm going out on a limb here and speculating they're experimenting with the book covers on this series. Notice the Judit Polgar books are not in paperback at all. Those are hardcovers.  For instance, I know by looking at Quality Chess's webpage that according to their listing on the "coming soon" section...there's going to be a NEW edition of GM Boris Avrukh's 1.d4 The Catalan. They're literally calling it The Catalan this time and there's a "1a" at the right hand corner on the top. But the curious thing is the current edition of that book is still being sold in paperback. So you tell me...this doesn't look strange?

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #9 - 04/16/15 at 12:38:26
Post Tools
Well, it's a six year old book. Most books go out of print after a while, yes, and this is an opening book to boot. I have no idea what their plans are though.

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 04/16/15 at 11:35:53
Post Tools
Scarblac wrote on 04/16/15 at 08:10:49:
I checked a few more chess book stores (e.g. debestezet.nl) and none have them have the first part in paperback either.

My guess that it's more mundane still: the paperback version is sold out.

Edit: the Quality Chess website also only has GM3 in hardcover: http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/products/1/48/grandmaster_repertoire_3_-_the_engli... .

And that page says "Hardcover now available at same price as paperback".

Conclusion: the paperback version is sold out, and they don't see business sense in reprinting it while they still have hardcover versions around.

Wow. This edition really is going like hotcakes. I'll get the hardcover edition before even THAT goes out of print. Then I'll really be in trouble. Where would I get a copy of that?!

Wait. Is it possible the publisher would deliberately decide not to reissue a popular edition assuming they feel the costs wouldn't justify another print?! That idea alone scares me because that means the first volume of the English Defense would suddenly become extremely pricey. I'd better order my copy asap.

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #7 - 04/16/15 at 08:10:49
Post Tools
I checked a few more chess book stores (e.g. debestezet.nl) and none have them have the first part in paperback either.

My guess that it's more mundane still: the paperback version is sold out.

Edit: the Quality Chess website also only has GM3 in hardcover: http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/products/1/48/grandmaster_repertoire_3_-_the_engli... .

And that page says "Hardcover now available at same price as paperback".

IP Logged

mangler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 04/16/15 at 00:16:13
Post Tools
Here is the link to Quality Chess:

http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/sections/7/hardcover_editions/

Start from the bottom, you will see all 3 English Opening books in hardcover.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #5 - 04/15/15 at 23:59:20
Post Tools
HagenWatch1 wrote on 04/15/15 at 23:30:55:
Something doesn't fit when I try to put the pieces together on this matter but it's not the end of the world. I'll order the "hardcover edition"...but I'll ask my bookseller why would the publisher issue only a hardcover edition for the first Volume but offer paperback editions for the others in the series?

I strongly suspect it's something incredibly mundane related to financial terms the booksellers were willing to offer to the publisher at the time of publication, or something like that, but by all means ask them if you're really interested. They're superb books, so my suggestion would be that you buy them and then enjoy them without worrying too much about the machinations of the book trade!

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 04/15/15 at 23:30:55
Post Tools
I'll check Barnes and Noble and see what they're offering.

Edit: Just checked. Barnes and Noble is also only offering the English Volume 1 in hardcover. They do offer the paperback but only used editions. I'm US based so this may be a US supply issue but I can't be certain about this so I don't want to sound as if I'm generalizing this to be universal on all ordering options. I'm just wondering about why this would be the case here in the US.

I don't know why neither Barnes and Noble and Amazon are only offering new editions of Volume 1 of the English in Grandmaster Repertoire in hardcover only but list Volumes 2 and 3 in paperback as an option.

Something doesn't fit when I try to put the pieces together on this matter but it's not the end of the world. I'll order the "hardcover edition"...but I'll ask my bookseller why would the publisher issue only a hardcover edition for the first Volume but offer paperback editions for the others in the series?

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #3 - 04/15/15 at 23:20:52
Post Tools
HagenWatch1 wrote on 04/15/15 at 22:50:58:
TonyRo wrote on 04/15/15 at 22:19:35:
All the Marin books were released as both hardcover and paperback - I think if you searched for only hardcover you could find those listings as well.

If you go to Amazon...check out what I'm talking about. There are no other choices for Volume 1..just the hardcover edition. But Volumes 2 and 3 have the paperback option listed as well. I'd like to know what's going on here. I'm aware that the Judit Polgar books are in hardcover only as well through Quality Chess...but this issue with Grandmaster Repertoire Volume 1 on the English in hardcover only is puzzling.

Tony's absolutely right, the books were all published in both formats. I really don't think this is 'puzzling': it's just a matter of what's available through Amazon. Maybe they've sold all their paperback allocation of the first volume. Or maybe they chose not to stock it in the first place. Try looking for the books from a different supplier.

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 04/15/15 at 22:50:58
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 04/15/15 at 22:19:35:
All the Marin books were released as both hardcover and paperback - I think if you searched for only hardcover you could find those listings as well.

If you go to Amazon...check out what I'm talking about. There are no other choices for Volume 1..just the hardcover edition. But Volumes 2 and 3 have the paperback option listed as well. I'd like to know what's going on here. I'm aware that the Judit Polgar books are in hardcover only as well through Quality Chess...but this issue with Grandmaster Repertoire Volume 1 on the English in hardcover only is puzzling.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #1 - 04/15/15 at 22:19:35
Post Tools

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Question about GM book format on the English
04/15/15 at 22:05:30
Post Tools
I'm noticing a curious description about the Grandmaster Repertoire book on the English Volume 1. It's listed on Amazon as being in "hardcover" while Volumes 2 and 3 are listed as paperback. Is this because there's a second edition of Volume 1 being released? Or simply an experiment on book cover formats by Quality Chess? Can anybody explain this?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo