Latest Updates:
Normal Topic No coverage of Advance variation in GM Caro Kann (Read 5614 times)
Lauri Torni

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Re: No coverage of Advance variation in GM Caro Kann
Reply #7 - 05/21/15 at 07:41:43
Post Tools
HagenWatch1 wrote on 04/19/15 at 04:27:49:
Grandmaster Repertoire 7 The Caro Kann doesn't seem to cover this line: 1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. e5 c5!?. What's surprising about this omission is the publication date of the Grandmaster Repertoire book comes after Jovanka Houska's book on the Caro Kann which does cover this line. Can anybody explain why the Caro Kann book by Lars Schandorff fails to discuss this variation? What's mind boggling to me is the bibliography to Lars Schandorff's book lists the book by Jovanka Houska on the Caro Kann. This makes the omission to the line I mentioned even harder to justify.  Sad

Troll?

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

up and comer

Reply #6 - 05/21/15 at 06:28:51
Post Tools
What I want to see some coverage on is Jobavas latest game! 5... f6 really shocked me against Caruana, worked out quite nicely. I've seen him experiment with that move in various advanced variations, might have to give it a shot myself some time.

uscf - 2250

IP Logged

Stanley
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 04/24/15 at 11:57:39
Post Tools
HagenWatch1 wrote on 04/19/15 at 09:34:23:
Thanks for the tip but his answer is rather vague..."theory is unresolved on this matter". Then he concludes he prefers the pure move 3.Bf5. As to the other poster who mentions this line was long known before the Jovanka book is correct as well, since the move was apparently played by World Champion Botvinnik himself in the 1961 return match against Tal. This is mentioned in the Jovanka book. It still would have been interesting to hear why the author preferred this so called "pure" move. Makes me glad I got the Jovanka book otherwise I might have not learned about this line being used in OTB play. As to my post count...don't worry - I'm going silent for a long time now that I've gotten my answers. I'll post again only when I'll have an issue with a line I'm playing.

Of course you will,Hagen's Watch,sooner than later I expect.

It is not a tip,it is information of the kind that you get if you actually bother to read the book you have criticised in a manner that suggests you did not read it.

The author,stated his intention clearly and,would likely be understood by the intended audience a book titled 'Grandmaster Repertoire 7' is aimed at."It does exactly what it says on the tin".

"Makes me glad I got the Jovanka book otherwise I might have not learned about this line being used in OTB play."

Really??

Now,that is interesting.Since the author did say 3…c5 exists but that he,quite rightfully,in his repertoire book would not be covering it.So,realistically you could have learned of the existence of the move 3…c5 from him. Just not what it involves.

Even a free online database would have shown you this information!

i.e. someone without an entirely specific interest the Caro-Kann, would be able to get your "mind-boggling" information in a few seconds.

"3…c5.In the past decade this move has come out of the shadows and now represents worthy competition to the basic continuation 3…Bf5". Anatoly Karpov,p.35,Caro-Kann Advance and Gambit System,Batsford Chess,2006."

In 'Starting Out:The Caro-Kann' by Joe Gallagher,2002,pages 103-104,has information on the development of the two moves.

FWIW,I have the first edition of 'Play the Caro-Kann'.

If you are going to claim "surprising omission","failure" and imp ly that an author has somehow not done what he or she promised in their book to the point of claiming that it makes "the omission to the line I mentioned even harder to justify" ,then at least read the book first.Or at least be frank about the author's intention and the book's intended audience.

The "mind boggling" and the brouhaha seem disingenuous.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 04/19/15 at 15:37:58
Post Tools
HagenWatch1 wrote on 04/19/15 at 09:34:23:
Then he concludes he prefers the pure move 3.Bf5.

You need to remember the history. Although played a few times by accident by players who didn't really know what to do and just borrowed ideas from the Advance French, it wasn't until Nigel Short started playing slow ideas for White in the early 1990s such as Nf3, Be2, c3, that the merits of this approach became apparent. 3. .. Bf5 had always had a problem with direct approaches such as 4. Nc3 and 5. g4, but now there was a problem as to how to play if White didn't really do anything. So the alternative idea of 3. .. c5 came back into consideration, so as to avoid placing the Bishop on the f5 square where it can be attacked in violent variations and might just be offside in quiet ones.

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 04/19/15 at 09:34:23
Post Tools
Stanley wrote on 04/19/15 at 07:01:13:
It seems Hagen's Watch might be having some sort of fun with these threads,going by the sum and content of his/her posts.

Grandmaster Repertoire 7 The Caro Kann ,page 86,first two paragraphs, provides the author's own direct answer to this new "mind boggling" question.

Thanks for the tip but his answer is rather vague..."theory is unresolved on this matter". Then he concludes he prefers the pure move 3.Bf5. As to the other poster who mentions this line was long known before the Jovanka book is correct as well, since the move was apparently played by World Champion Botvinnik himself in the 1961 return match against Tal. This is mentioned in the Jovanka book. It still would have been interesting to hear why the author preferred this so called "pure" move. Makes me glad I got the Jovanka book otherwise I might have not learned about this line being used in OTB play. As to my post count...don't worry - I'm going silent for a long time now that I've gotten my answers. I'll post again only when I'll have an issue with a line I'm playing.

IP Logged

Stanley
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 04/19/15 at 07:01:13
Post Tools
It seems Hagen's Watch might be having some sort of fun with these threads,going by the sum and content of his/her posts.

Grandmaster Repertoire 7 The Caro Kann ,page 86,first two paragraphs, provides the author's own direct answer to this new "mind boggling" question.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 04/19/15 at 05:28:49
Post Tools
Because those are repertoire books which made (or rather their authors did) different choices.  (By the way, it's 3. e5 which is the Advance variation, and 3...c5 was a recognized line long before Houska's book.)

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

No coverage of Advance variation in GM Caro Kann
04/19/15 at 04:27:49
Post Tools
Grandmaster Repertoire 7 The Caro Kann doesn't seem to cover this line: 1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. e5 c5!?. What's surprising about this omission is the publication date of the Grandmaster Repertoire book comes after Jovanka Houska's book on the Caro Kann which does cover this line. Can anybody explain why the Caro Kann book by Lars Schandorff fails to discuss this variation? What's mind boggling to me is the bibliography to Lars Schandorff's book lists the book by Jovanka Houska on the Caro Kann. This makes the omission to the line I mentioned even harder to justify.  Sad

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo