Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The "Big clamp" Anti-Sicilian against the French (Read 17939 times)
RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: The "Big clamp" Anti-Sicilian against the French
Reply #5 - 05/11/15 at 12:36:14
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/03/15 at 00:57:52:
Whether to play with ...d6 or ...d5 is a significant choice, and White will likely answer ...d5 with e4-e5 closing the centre, but I haven't gotten much further.

You can also look for inspiration in the English, where a set up of c4, Nc3, e3, Nge2, g3, Bg2 is not uncommon.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #4 - 05/04/15 at 07:15:09
Post Tools
The Big Clamp was coined by Lawrence Day. You can probably find the original articles online. Chessgames.com has a short article on it:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chesscollection?cid=1025557

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #3 - 05/03/15 at 14:58:41
Post Tools
I don't know of a place to look for good coverage, but I'd also check the Sicilian move order.  I myself had this played against me once: 1.e4 c5 2.d3 Nc6 3.g3 g6 4.Bg2 Bg7 5.c3!?  I remember feeling pretty annoyed by White's move order, and played 5...e5. 

5...e6 scores very well for Black, though after 6.Be3 d6 7.f4 Nge7 8.Nf3 0-0 9.0-0 you're back into normal "Big Clamp" territory, with 1,400+ games in my database and a normal score for White.  I presume this stuff is covered by Rogozenko for instance, but I don't have a copy anymore.

IP Logged

hicetnunc

"Do something scary every
day"

Reply #2 - 05/03/15 at 09:48:03
Post Tools
There's some good material in the ChessPublishing French section - you may want to have a look there.

48 yo, 1920 elo

IP Logged

Fromper

GrandPatzer

Reply #1 - 05/03/15 at 04:23:40
Post Tools
It seems to me that this is a Sicilian, not a French, so you'd be more likely to find coverage in a Sicilian book than a French one. Just don't ask me which one. Is 1. e4 c5 2. d3 even a line? I guess you'd have to look for all the things it could transpose to.

GrandPatzer!!!

1777 peak USCF rating - currently 1620 from coming back rusty
IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

The "Big clamp" Anti-Sicilian against the French
05/03/15 at 00:57:52
Post Tools
I'm looking for any coverage of a line that seems have fallen through the cracks of theory:

1.e4 e6 2.d3 c5 I'm trying to build a complete repertoire for Black with this move, since I like the Botvinnik System, but now White can be tricky with 3.g3!? (hoping for Black to aquiesce and play ...d5 anyway) 3...Nc6 4.Bg2 g6.
The last two Black repertoires to recommend 2...c5 are sadly lacking here; Williams in Attacking Chess: The French doesn't mention any White alternative to 3.Nf3, while Watson's old Play the French 2 had just a brief paragraph on 5.Ne2 (after 4...g6).

Williams really should have been aware of this, since his Everyman editor John Emms recommended 3.g3 in 2001, intending to switch to a Closed Sicilian with 6.Be3 (with ...e6 already in, so a Botvinnik setup now unlikely to work). That is annoying enough, but I think I've finally found something playable there.

But what if White doesn't play Nc3? f4, Nf3, 0-0 and c3 are all natural moves. This is the "Big Clamp" Sicilian, but I can't recall anyone covering that from the Black side who happened to choose a setup with ...e6! So any idea for Black would be appreciated. Whether to play with ...d6 or ...d5 is a significant choice, and White will likely answer ...d5 with e4-e5 closing the centre, but I haven't gotten much further.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo