Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Grandmaster Repertoire 1A - The Catalan by Avrukh (Read 22169 times)
Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Re: Grandmaster Repertoire 1A - The Catalan by Avrukh
Reply #4 - 08/20/15 at 20:10:39
Post Tools
I've had a look at it in the bookshop and frankly I am amazed and stumped. He has dumped the main line Qxc4, Bd2 etc for the a4 line, but I am deeply un-impressed. Seems very light compared to his previous efforts.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #3 - 07/25/15 at 18:19:19
Post Tools
I haven't seen 1A, but if it's similar to 1, then I don't think that it's necessary for a 1900-player.  You could use it as a reference, but better to read something else like Bologan's book or even Dunnington's old Winning With the Catalan (a fantastic book) first. 

As a 2200+ player I didn't find that Avrukh's book helped me much at all OTB.  It was just too big and dense.  Good for a reference or correspondence I guess, but overkill for my level of opening preparation.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 05/07/15 at 23:35:03
Post Tools
I have this for a few days. Short answer is yes, not only is it updated in many parts, some main choices are changed completely. Important changes are in main Open Catalan, 7. Dc2 dxc4 8. a4 (not 8. Qxc4). Another is main line Benoni Modern, 9...Te8 10. Af4 (not 10. Nd2).

IP Logged

TN
YaBB Moderator

Reply #1 - 05/07/15 at 23:23:34
Post Tools
I've already ordered it, but I haven't received it yet. I'll make some observations when I have had the opportunity to examine it thoroughly.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Grandmaster Repertoire 1A - The Catalan by Avrukh
05/07/15 at 19:24:10
Post Tools
Any comments on this new book (compared to GM1)? Is it worth the buy if you are a 1900-player and haven't studied all of the Catalan of GM1 yet?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo