Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Alekhine Books for 2300+ (Read 4622 times)
TN
YaBB Moderator

Re: Alekhine Books for 2300+
Reply #2 - 05/09/15 at 18:41:25
Post Tools
Try to get your hands on some Yearbook Surveys on the opening; for instance I recall the two-part survey on 4.Nf3 Nb6 as being quite interesting. Also if you play this opening as more than a surprise weapon you'll definitely want some flexibility in your choices, especially as you're accepting a slightly worse position out of the opening.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Re: Alekhine Books for 2300+
Reply #1 - 05/09/15 at 10:07:34
Post Tools
Cox's Starting Out The Alekhine is still quite useful as he gives both an overview and details on the available alternatives, plus that he often focus on recurring themes.
Bogdanov's book is something you might want for quick references, though I can't say that I have used it much myself - for instance his brief line vs 5...g6 in the 4P seemed more like his opinion than verifiable fact, iirc.

Older stuff, if you can find them, like Burgess' two books and Bagirov's in German are hardly topical anymore, but can be both useful and fun for digging ideas.

But mainly, it's all about following and deeply analysing the games of those strong players who play it regularly.

And of course, being ready to face the Exchange variation a lot! At least, my experience is that 25% will play the theoretical ML 4.Nf3, 50% the Exchange and the rest is 2./3.Nc3, Chase variation and an occasional 4Ps.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Alekhine Books for 2300+
05/09/15 at 03:40:31
Post Tools
What are some key Alekhine books for 2300+ players, as in, the player herself or himself, as well as for playing against 2300+ opposition? I have Lakdawala (2014) and Taylor (2010) so far. But unlike the Sicilian it does not have a breadth of books on this opening.

I am not very sure on how the status of the lines are going. I used to have subscription to New In Chess Yearbook and Informator but no longer.

My lines are going to be:

-5...g6 for Classical
-both 5...cxd6 and 5...exd6 for Exchange
-5...g6 against 4 Pawns
-Main line with 8...g5 against Chase
-transpose to Pirc 2...d6 against 2. Nc3
-any sidelines on move 2 transpose to Pirc

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo