Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Using Marin's books on English (Read 3006 times)
fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Using Marin's books on English
Reply #4 - 05/17/15 at 12:24:35
Post Tools
Regarding the analysis with a computer, I think I and others have mentioned it before. There are lines that seem ok at the end of them, but it seems as if Marin has missed considering something in alternatives earlier. As if the only check that has been made with an engine is late in the lines.

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 05/17/15 at 09:30:33
Post Tools
Thanks a lot for your input. I have gone through the first 4 chapters in volume 3 and find his analysis amazing. His coverage of the aspects of symmetry in chapter 3 is pure gold for me. When I have gone through a chapter, I just let Stockfish analyse the main lines to secure that the lines are still OK. The next chapter is on the Fischer system where there is an interesting thread as you also mention. Will go through it thoroughly but also look for alternatives as an early h4 could be interesting.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 05/13/15 at 10:49:15
Post Tools
There are various ways for Black to improve on Marin's repertoire, naturally. But as Laramonet points out, the books are valuable for getting the feel for the middlegame positions as well as for the opening moves in themselves. Just be prepared to put in some work in a few lines.

I also own the DVD and it presents some nice alternatives. Although I decided on its recommendation against the Reversed Dragon already before I got the video. In fact, it was based on reading the Chesspub updates!

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #1 - 05/12/15 at 12:24:21
Post Tools
Hi Paul,
   I can thoroughly recommend the Marin books. I've used them since 2011 and although you're technically correct that they are dated, I believe it is true that the "feel" for this repertoire and the positions you will get is the most important thing. They can be supplemented by "Dynamic English" by Tony Kosten and also the Lorin D'Costa DVD you mention. I would say the DVD is worth it. It mostly follows the Marin repertoire but does show some alternatives, particularly against the Reversed Dragon, but as you might suspect in nowhere near as much detail. ChessPub is a reasonable source of some discussion around the Marin lines and issues and improvements found. I've started a couple of short threads and there's a good one about the Fischer set-up in the Symmetrical. I'll be keen to get involved in any discussion of particular lines you have issues with.
   Good luck !

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Using Marin's books on English
05/12/15 at 07:42:33
Post Tools
I have bought Marin's books on the English opening and really like his explanations about ideas, strategy and so on. As the books are relatively old, some of the lines must be a bit outdated.

Do you know if there are any lines in particular of which I should be aware? I have looked at some lines in volume 2 on the anti-Slav and they still seem to be OK for white. For me, it is OK to get out of the opening with equal play with white if the patterns suit me well...

Does the DVD by D'Costa add anything or is it just a waste of money when you have the Marin books?

Thanks a million for some input here!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo