Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Ke8 or Kc8 (Read 2603 times)
Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Re: Ke8 or Kc8
Reply #2 - 12/31/18 at 01:10:03
Post Tools
My understanding is ...Re8 is solider, but also used by elite players who just want a draw. Black can definitely try for win from this move too, but is just quieter. Especially solid is where Black aims for ...Ch4 and get two bitchops against B+N for White.

...Rc8 however is sharper, trying to connect the backrank pieces after a later ...b6/...Rb7. Sometimes White tries to pawn storm on the kingside more than the line with ...Re8. My guess is that the norm nowadays in the elite is super solid and many try to draw with Black without eccessive risk.

I disagree with their strategy, I think this extremely solid with Black gameplan is getting too much  Cheesy

IP Logged

cma6

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: Ke8 or Kc8
Reply #1 - 12/30/18 at 21:42:05
Post Tools
]The original form of the Berlin endgame had the King returning to e8. In its post 2000 form, Kramnik demonstrated that Bd7 and Kc8 was also viable. Both are still played to this day. Have any clear opinions emerged as to which is better?
As of 2018, we see ...Ke8 played far more often than Kramnik's 2000 idea of ...Kc8. Was this switch anything more than the vagary of fashion, as I have yet to see where White has made a dent against Kramnik's original ...Kc8 idea?

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Ke8 or Kc8
05/19/15 at 11:43:01
Post Tools
The original form of the Berlin endgame had the King returning to e8. In its post 2000 form, Kramnik demonstrated that Bd7 and Kc8 was also viable. Both are still played to this day. Have any clear opinions emerged as to which is better?

In the Kc8 version, there's something of a main line emerged which runs with possible transpositions in move order as

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo