Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Tournaments in Catalunya (Read 2584 times)
CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Re: Tournaments in Catalunya
Reply #4 - 06/11/15 at 13:45:33
Post Tools
In BCN, from Gracia to Sants there is about 15/20 min by metro. No problem with that.

Andorra is more than 3 hours far from Barcelona by car. And is totally different. In Barcelona you can visit the city, lots of thing to see, lots of people in the same situation as you in the tournament... Well, you said you've been in Barcelona before. And you have some kind of party's not only in Saturday night, also onMondays, on Wednesdays....

Andorra is a mountain little country. It's a totally different kind of thing. You have an interesting little city to visit, of course, but the more attractive thing is nature. Trekking, walking, green valleys, nature photography, mounting-bike activites... I suppose some kind of party would be possible Friday night and Saturday night also.

Salut,

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #3 - 06/11/15 at 08:44:36
Post Tools
DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 06/11/15 at 07:50:00:
I never stayed in Sants, in fact I think that I have never been to that area

I played once in the tournament many years ago, but it was near the centre of Barcelona, and it was incredibly difficult to park - one time I lost over half an hour on my clock when I couldn't find a parking space and then got stuck in the one-way system! I eventually parked on the pavement near the tournament and took my chances.
Andorra is a great place to play, high in the Pyrenees mountains, I've played several times over the years. It's quite a way from there to Barcelona, though.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 06/11/15 at 07:50:00
Post Tools
I have actually been to Barcelona before but this is only part of Catalunya that I went. And I never stayed in Sants, in fact I think that I have never been to that area. I usually stayed near Gràcia. Unfortunately never played chess there though, never met anyone from chess there.

Never been to Andorra neither.

Wow that is a strong lineup. And that afternoon games then night = tourist sounds brilliant. Especially that you guys like to eat dinner at midnight  Cheesy

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #1 - 06/11/15 at 07:24:55
Post Tools
I've never played in Andorra, but the Sants Open in Barcelona is fantastic. You can see chess-results pages to see the average level of players (usually around 20 GM), or 2015 inscripted members page here (growing day after day):

http://www.cotxeres.org/open/inscrits15.htm

Barcelona is a nice city to visit. In fact, there is a lot of players who travel abroad to do that (nights+mornings=tourist; afternoon=chess).

Salut,

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Tournaments in Catalunya
06/11/15 at 07:05:10
Post Tools
If anyone notices, there seem to be a lot of tournaments in the region Catalunya and Andorra.

33¤ Open internacional d'Andorra (18.07.2015-25.07.2015):

http://www.escacsandorra.com/openprev/ad_agenda.php

XVII Open internacional d'escacs de Sants, Barcelona (21.08.2015-30.08.2015)

http://www.cotxeres.org/open/open2015/bases15.htm

Anyone who play in this region is it really good? I heard about it and was thinking of these two someday.

In terms of i) playing for norm, ii) high rated/titled opponents, but also iii) enjoyable place, iv) nice tournament for making chess friends, v) sightseeing/turist?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo