Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Delchev/Semkov on QGA (Read 19104 times)
tapchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Delchev/Semkov on QGA
Reply #21 - 12/30/16 at 09:34:18
Post Tools
I have purchased the book as well and I admit it is a well written book with  a novel selection of ideas.
I found that most of the people at my level ( about 1900 ) is caught by surprise when they encouter lines proposed as the main repertoire in the book and this has given me the chances to get several winning positions out of the opening. My score has been very high > 70%. Quality of the work seems to be very good and even where sub-lines don't have any explanations I have not been able to find clear holes . I believe that lines have been carefully checked with a strong chess program. However there is one thing I don't like and it's a forced drawing line in the Chigorin 3.e4 that is proposed as the main resource against the central variation. The line is not analized deeply and the forced draw is not even mentioned but it's easy to discover when ones tries to go a little bit more deep into the sub-variation.
For the rest I can clearly say that this book has helped in making the QGA my main defense against 1.d4.

IP Logged

KestonyChess
YaBB Newbies

I Love Chess!

Reply #20 - 08/17/16 at 19:00:18
Post Tools
Just wanted to say it's a great book and It helped me in my otb games. Easily remember lines because main ideas are covered

IP Logged

ChevyBanginStyle

2 \infty & *CRUNCH*

Reply #19 - 02/21/16 at 07:41:34
Post Tools
tipau wrote on 11/04/15 at 09:10:09:
I took a closer look at this book yesterday with thoughts of playing the recommendations in an upcoming league game and found a couple of things not covered.

1) In the 3.e4 variation the main recommendation is 3...Nc6 4.Nf3 Nf6!? 5.Nc3 Bg4 when play has transposed to the Chigorin (1.d4 d5 2.c4 Nc6 3.Nc3 dxc4 4.Nf3 Nf6 5.e4).

I used to play the Chigorin years ago and remember analysis published online at chesscafe and in Informant by GM Solak about the position after 6.Bxc4(!) which is very dangerous indeed. This is not given proper attention. In particular after 6...Bxf3 7.gxf3 Qxd4 8.Qb3 Ne5 the move 9.Be2! should be analysed. Maybe this is still rare but since a patzer like myself has been aware of it for years I'd expect a 2600+ expert like Delchev to be too. In fact this line put me off playing the Chigorin and I've played it with White since. Here's a link to a chesspub discussion/analysis on this line from 2011!:
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1304688707/24#24

2) In the Alekhine line after 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.e3 Bg4!? 5.Bxc4 e6 6.Nc3 Nc6 7.h3 Bh5 8.Bb5 Bd6 9.e4 Nd7 10.Be3 0-0 the book only really covers lines where White castles Kingside and Black has the plan ...Nb6 & ...f5. It's not clear what to play is White deviates and prevents that, which is what Watson recommends in his 1.d4 rep book with either 11.e5 Be7 12.Rc1 or 11.Qe2 with the idea of 11...f5 12.g4!

I'm not sure how big a problem the second point is, I need to investigate more with computer assistance. The first point is serious and I'll have to read up on 3.e4 Nc6 4.Nf3 Bg4 instead.

I agree that the Solak line looks annoying and was completely underestimated in Chapter 2. I studied Chapter 1 and after comparing other sources (CHOPIN, chesspublishing) found what I believe to be a serious omission in Line A:

After 1.d4 d5 2.c4 dxc4 3.e4 Nc6 4.Nf3 Bg4 5.d5 Ne5 6.Bf4 Ng6 7.Bg3 (Line A) Nf6 8.Nc3 e5, the forcing 9.h3! is not mentioned. As retreating the bishop to d7 does not appear to be playable (as occurs in their main line with 9.Bxc4), the character of the game is changed significantly from their analysis. Unless I am mistaken, this appears to take the fun out of this line since Black's counterplay looks restricted here. Look for an alternative, 8...e6 9.Qa4+!? did not look so attractive for Black to me either.

I'd be happy to see any improvements for Black, because most of the lines look promising and lead to interesting play. Otherwise, I think I may prefer 3...e5 or 3...Nf6 in future games. Fretting aside, both of these problem lines appear to be quite rare.

IP Logged

tipau

I Like ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 11/23/15 at 11:14:21
Post Tools
9...Qb6 is the main move and the link I gave has lots of analysis of this move. The conclusion seems to be that Black can probably hold a draw, but really needs to know his stuff to survive. Not my cup of tea really and should be given proper coverage, especially as it's not that new anymore.

I'm not in a position to check the game you referenced to see if there's a new idea there. Solak's main line continues 10.Qa4 c6 11.f4 Ng6 12.f5 Ne5 13.Bf4 Qxb2 14.Rc1 Nfd7 15.Rc2 Qb6 16.Be3 Qd8 17.f4 Nb6 18.Qb3 Ned7 19.e5 but there are lots of possible deviations and potential improvements analysed.

FIDE: ~2100

IP Logged

dragonmaster
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 11/22/15 at 15:55:16
Post Tools
Is after 9. Be2 in the above variation #1 9...Qb6 not more than enough for an equal game? See e.g. the game Ferlito-Fels, email 2010?

IP Logged

tipau

I Like ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 11/04/15 at 09:10:09
Post Tools

I took a closer look at this book yesterday with thoughts of playing the recommendations in an upcoming league game and found a couple of things not covered.

1) In the 3.e4 variation the main recommendation is 3...Nc6 4.Nf3 Nf6!? 5.Nc3 Bg4 when play has transposed to the Chigorin (1.d4 d5 2.c4 Nc6 3.Nc3 dxc4 4.Nf3 Nf6 5.e4).

I used to play the Chigorin years ago and remember analysis published online at chesscafe and in Informant by GM Solak about the position after 6.Bxc4(!) which is very dangerous indeed. This is not given proper attention. In particular after 6...Bxf3 7.gxf3 Qxd4 8.Qb3 Ne5 the move 9.Be2! should be analysed. Maybe this is still rare but since a patzer like myself has been aware of it for years I'd expect a 2600+ expert like Delchev to be too. In fact this line put me off playing the Chigorin and I've played it with White since. Here's a link to a chesspub discussion/analysis on this line from 2011!:
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1304688707/24#24

2) In the Alekhine line after 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.e3 Bg4!? 5.Bxc4 e6 6.Nc3 Nc6 7.h3 Bh5 8.Bb5 Bd6 9.e4 Nd7 10.Be3 0-0 the book only really covers lines where White castles Kingside and Black has the plan ...Nb6 & ...f5. It's not clear what to play is White deviates and prevents that, which is what Watson recommends in his 1.d4 rep book with either 11.e5 Be7 12.Rc1 or 11.Qe2 with the idea of 11...f5 12.g4!

I'm not sure how big a problem the second point is, I need to investigate more with computer assistance. The first point is serious and I'll have to read up on 3.e4 Nc6 4.Nf3 Bg4 instead.
« Last Edit: 11/04/15 at 10:46:51 by tipau » 
Reason: Corrected typo 

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 11/02/15 at 22:28:44
Post Tools
yup that is the deal with the book they key move is 6...Nc6!  so the Nf6. and Bg4 is the ALekhine. 
Did other people like the book???
Thanks,
MArc

IP Logged

Gut Gambit
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 10/30/15 at 22:58:49
Post Tools
tipau wrote on 10/30/15 at 15:13:05:
[highlight]I thought it was 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.e3 Bg4!? without ...a7-a6.[/highlight]

If so I like the book's coverage of that variation. The authors propose improvements over all previously published analysis that I've seen and avoid dry positions. The line is also rare, so it's unlikely your opponents will be as familiar/experienced in it compared to the main variation. If you have the book I suggest playing over the illustrative games and seeing what you think.

Yes this is what they name the Alekhine Variation ( Semko in the foreword on page 5). The line continues:
5.Bxc4-e6 6.Nc3! The solution is 6...Nc6, improving on an old Spassky game with 7...Bd6 instead of 7.Bb5-Bb4?!.

I think this book suggests very interesting stuff.

GG

IP Logged

tipau

I Like ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 10/30/15 at 15:13:05
Post Tools
I thought it was 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.e3 Bg4!? without ...a7-a6.

If so I like the book's coverage of that variation. The authors propose improvements over all previously published analysis that I've seen and avoid dry positions. The line is also rare, so it's unlikely your opponents will be as familiar/experienced in it compared to the main variation. If you have the book I suggest playing over the illustrative games and seeing what you think.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #12 - 10/30/15 at 06:26:56
Post Tools
The Alekhine is 3. Nf3 a6, right?  Or so I seem to recall from Horowitz's "Chess Openings:  Theory and Practice" from the 1960s.
Probably a decent way to play chess.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #11 - 10/30/15 at 03:20:40
Post Tools
What is the 'Alekhine' line? Moves please, so we can understand clearly. Thanks.
What do you see as the particular problems with it?

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 10/30/15 at 00:46:27
Post Tools
Hi all,
Is the Alekhine line in the Understanding the QGA really what they sell it as: a winning attempt in open/semi open position, sharp position which will help to improve your chess??  Or are they selling a book?  I have the book so I am not looking for analysis ect.  Just an honest opinion. Note playing open games in honor of my sturdiest teacher the great late Markovich, plus I want to learn and improve!!
Thank you,
Marc

IP Logged

Anon
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 08/27/15 at 05:44:22
Post Tools
I bought the book from Forward Chess and only glanced through it. I straight away turned to chapter 2 to see what the writers propose against 3 e4 and they have chosen a fairly sharp response. A very interesting idea is given to combat 7 Bb3 which was not that long ago regarded as one of white's most dangerous tries. There seems to be genuinely useful guidance for club players on the main ideas in each variation. For example there is good guidance on what to look out for in the dc5 lines. It is too early to comment on the quality of the analysis but Delchev wrote some good books on the Taimanov Sicilian and Grunfeld and this book at first sight seems to be of an equivalent standard. The writers are honest- if a line is boring they say so. There also seems to be some new ideas in the Bg4 lines which could prove to be a worthwhile alternative to the solid lines that Sam Collins covered in his (underrated) DVD. Those lines might be worth a closer look.

IP Logged

tipau

I Like ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 08/20/15 at 17:18:16
Post Tools
The extract has piqued my interest in this book...

Although covering a number of options Delchev's recommending Black avoids the dxc5 lines with 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.e3 Bg4, which is a line I was interested in but didn't quite like for Black when I've looked before.

3.e4 Nc6 4.Nf3 Nf6!? also looks an interesting recommendation too, rather than the more common 4...Bg4

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #7 - 08/19/15 at 10:51:10
Post Tools
Wasn't there also a Semkov/Sakaev book on the QGA from Chess Stars that went through several editions?

I wonder if this new book is reusing some recommendations and material from that, or if it's a wholly independent book.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo