Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Complete and Comprehensive Rook Endgamesbook (Read 18840 times)
Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Re: Complete and Comprehensive Rook Endgamesbook
Reply #28 - 11/17/15 at 16:43:24
Post Tools
I did go through the entire Levenfish and Smyslov book. I wouldn't go through an entire encyclopedia.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #27 - 11/17/15 at 16:26:05
Post Tools
I think there is little benefit to doing all the problems in the ECE. For me it is a reference guide and source of training material.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 11/16/15 at 03:47:17
Post Tools
Thanks for your input. I am continuing with ECE and also the Löwenfisch/Smyslow book. When playing through the positions, did you do almost the entire book? Or is the kost to benefit ratio of doing that too low?

I focus a lot on the R+P v. R positions and they helped me a lot. I feel fairly confident if I had time trouble on increment after studying those.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #25 - 11/05/15 at 16:02:19
Post Tools
I would suggest that you use ECE as (1) a source for training and (2) a reference.

(1) Choose positions at random / random-ish and then play them out against the computer. Compare your moves against what the computer suggests later.

(2) If you get a rook endgame, find similar looking endgames in the book and study them to learn key ideas, see what is different with your position and the one in the book, etc.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 11/05/15 at 08:03:43
Post Tools
I have now 1000 Turmendspiele, but not sure how to use it. I am on Example 343 of Encyclopædia of Chess Endings: Rook Endings I by Informator and am wondering how to use it. I am helped a lot by the exemples but it took me over a month just to get to 343. There are almost 2000 exemple positions, so it might literally take me more than a year to finish this bog. I think that it might be helpful to finish the whole bog, but almost 2000 exemples in 500 pages is a lot. Anyone here read the whole thing cower to cower?

I also bought the bog Rook Endings by Löwenfish and Smyslow and Comprehensiwe Chess Endings Volume V: Rook Endings by Awerbach and Grigorijiew for my birthday. Which order should I read these?

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #23 - 10/12/15 at 23:09:41
Post Tools
DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 10/12/15 at 00:03:19:
I wil definitely buy Müllers book, but that is quite far in the future, 2016 it seems?

Anyone know what the 1000 Turmendspiele buch is by Pintér? I cannot find an excerpt to see what kind of examples it is, or Table of Content.

It's like a smaller version of the encyclopedia of endgames and part of a # of tomes about endgames. Having it in my hands and looking through I thought it's something to buy for training purposes if you have a good knowledge.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 10/12/15 at 00:03:19
Post Tools
I wil definitely buy Müllers book, but that is quite far in the future, 2016 it seems?

Anyone know what the 1000 Turmendspiele buch is by Pintér? I cannot find an excerpt to see what kind of examples it is, or Table of Content.

IP Logged

Marcellus

Reply #21 - 10/11/15 at 05:59:18
Post Tools
I can't post a link yet, but Karsten Mueller will be releasing "Understanding Rook Endgames" early next year (Gambit). I assume that this will be the newest best book on Rook endings, given what he has previously done (both in books and in DVDs).

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 10/11/15 at 05:05:47
Post Tools
I have been studying rook endgames for a while these past months, mostly with Nunn's Secrets of Rook Endgames and ECE Volume II. But I was looking at some of the "klassiks" like

1. Theorie und Praxis der Turmendspiele (Löwenfisch und Smyslow)
2. Rook Endings (Löwenfisch und Smyslow) [Is this the same book but in English?]
3. Practical Rook Endings (Mednis)

Books on rook endings I have read so far:

-Secrets of Rook Endings (Nunn)
-Dworetskij Endgame Manual (Dworetskij)
-The Survival Guide to Rook Endgames (Emms)
-A Practical Guide to Rook Endgames (Minew)
-Practical Endgame Play (Griwas)

Where do you find these three? Most seem sold out and the chess shops even do not have them. Are these the same thing or a good addition to Nunn's book, Dworetskij Endgame Manual, Müller/Lamprecht, ECE Volume II? Or am I just fine with these sources?

I saw some book called 1000 Turmendspiele by Joszéf Pintér. What kind of book is it? Is it like ECE?

I am very busy nowadays. So my chess plan is very limited. I cannot play for a long time so I plan to spend the rest of the year mastering rook endings. Then I continue to just trying to improve the rest of the endgames.

If you have other suggestions, feel free. I have a working knowledge of German, French, Dutch, and some others if there are good rook endgame books in those languages (especially German).

*I must note: I have ordered Praxis des Turmendspiels (Kortschnoj) and Geheimnisse der Turmendspiele (Smsyslow) from eurochess.de, last September. But to be honest I have no idea where the hell is my order. That is another story.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 08/06/15 at 22:16:46
Post Tools
I still have Endgame Play ready to read, probably in a while. I was planning to go all-out detail on the rook stuff first though. I still have that Nunn book on the rook endings which still leaves me interested. It does look like overdoing it, but spending some time on that tome at least seeing the patterns over and over would probably help. Or maybe I am just wacko to like these rook ending stuff too much Smiley

Secrets of Rook Endings

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 08/06/15 at 12:07:04
Post Tools
Am I totally wrong or shouldn't a thorough study of Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual combined with Aagaard's Endgame Play be sufficient for a 2300+ player to cover more or less all aspects of the endgame excellently? The nice thing with the two books is that they show so many errors which very strong players have made.

I assume that to be really good at rook endgames, you have to master pawn-endgames as you otherwise don't know when to exchange rooks. At the moment, I'm reading the chapter on Rubinstein in Learn from the Legends about rook endgames
which is truly enjoyful for me  Smiley

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #17 - 08/05/15 at 14:51:45
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 08/05/15 at 13:56:30:
Honestly, I don't see the use of Nunn's book, except as a thought experiment. How many pages would it take to print an endgame table base?

You would probably only get marginally more utility from Nunn than from Nalimov.

I'd move on to other works personally.

I agree - for endgame enthusiasts who really want to break that kind of stuff down, by all means. But for practical players, I think Nunn's work is simply too much. If you find that you enjoy the practical rook endings shown towards the end of Nunn, there's more material of that nature in the first companion volume to Flear by Efstratios Grivas. He covers the vast majority of common pawn configurations in rook endings - 1 vs. 0, 2 vs. 1, 3 vs. 2, 4 vs. 3 all on one side, and 3 vs. 3 + a-pawn, b-pawn, c-pawn, etc...Not intended as a theoretical work, more to give players solid guidelines as to how to approach the positions.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #16 - 08/05/15 at 13:56:30
Post Tools
Honestly, I don't see the use of Nunn's book, except as a thought experiment. How many pages would it take to print an endgame table base?

You would probably only get marginally more utility from Nunn than from Nalimov.

I'd move on to other works personally.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 08/05/15 at 07:50:42
Post Tools
I am about ¾e done with The Survival Guide to Rook Endings of John Emms. I think that my next reading is either Kortschnoj or Secrets of Rook Endings by John Nunn. I have the Flear book for sometime in the future.

But I wonder, this Nunn book is very long and detailed. RP v R interests me, but how should this book ble read? I really doubt anyone can remember all of this analyses of 352 pages. If read it, should you just try to see the patterns and keep those in mind?

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #14 - 07/18/15 at 23:23:02
Post Tools
I don't have a clear picture of the contents of the Shereshevsky books in terms of specific material, sorry. They are organized by strategic theme (Endgame Strategy) or opening/middlegame structure (Mastering the Endgame 1+2).

But regarding double rook endings, there is actually a brief chapter on that in the Emms book. And a longer one in Practical Endgame Play: Beyond the Basics by Flear. These are the two main sources I'm aware of for RR vs RR.

P.S. if you study the Emms book after Dvoretsky + Korchnoi, you will see a lot of the same stuff repeated. Might be an idea to have a look at the book before you buy, to see how much "new" material you're really getting (apart from the RR vs RR chapter, I'm not sure).

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo