Latest Updates:
Normal Topic 3...e6 against Fantasy Caro (Read 3925 times)
Bibs
God Member

Re: 3...e6 against Fantasy Caro
Reply #6 - 10/20/15 at 13:15:55
Post Tools
In playing 3...e6 you are stating 'I think I know the French Steinitz better than you. And I am happier there than you are. I think, hmmm, maybe, you don't know it.'

One good idea may be to go down the Agdestein/Nakamura pawn grab line, ...Qb6. Have that prepped, with ...Rc8. Really test white.

If that's so, then go for gold.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #5 - 10/20/15 at 13:05:31
Post Tools
In playing 3...e6 you are stating 'I think I know the French Steinitz better than you. And I am happier there than you are. I think, hmmm, maybe, you don't know it.'

One good idea may be to go down the Agdestein/Nakamura pawn grab line, ...Qb6. Have that prepped, with ...Rc8. Really test white.

If that's so, then go for gold.

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #4 - 10/20/15 at 11:35:01
Post Tools
I've been playing this line (3...e6) following Bologan's recommendation TD mentions above. His positional justification is sth in the lines of:
Form the triangle (i.e. e6-d5-c6) since Bc8's diagonal is blunt anyway due to f3.

From the other sources I know: Houska & Schandorff recommend 3...dxe4 and Lakdawala 3...Qb6. But for a French player I would say 3...e6 is ideal!

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #3 - 10/20/15 at 08:04:01
Post Tools
I've struggled in the past against the Fantasy having used 3...de and then 3...e6. I now play 3....Qb6 and was even surprised by it in a recent weekend tournament. Even struggling (and failing) to remember the theory, just making sure to include ...e5, I got a good, if wilder than normal position that was pleasant to play.

IP Logged

PANFR

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 10/19/15 at 19:34:28
Post Tools
3...dxe4 4.fxe4 e5 5.Nf3 Bg4 is supposed to be an extremely solid and reliable approach. I do not see where it gets "tactical".

IP Logged

TD

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #1 - 07/13/15 at 06:42:05
Post Tools
DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 07/13/15 at 02:45:13:
And also, any books that cover this?

One game on the DVD "The Caro-Kann" from Bologan (ChessBase 2009).

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

3...e6 against Fantasy Caro
07/13/15 at 02:45:13
Post Tools
I was thinking of switching my response from 3...Db6 and 3...dxe4 to 3...e6 against the Fantasy Variation in the Caro-Kann. I think that this might be solidest, but I do not see much literature on this line. Is it true that it basically forces White to play a strategic, closed game instead of the semi-open tactical 3...dxe4? If so this could be what I do against the Fantasy.

The main complaint that I have heard from my friend who is a Caro player is that there is a transposition, or a position that looks quite close to the 5. f4 Steinitz or the line 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Sc3 Sf6 4. e5 Sfd7 5. f4 c5, or at least the Tarrasch sometimes: 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Sd2 Sf6 4. e5 Sfd7 5. f4 c5. As a French player, this does not scare me Smiley because the game switches from a sideline (Caro Fantasy) to a main line (French Classical or French Tarrasch). I am still confused though why player who plays a sideline against the Caro is willing to prepare it and go into a main line French though.

So in end, is 3...e6 the best choice to just stop White's tactical ambition, solidify the game, assuming Black is willing to play a French if White wants it? If a tactical player gets depressed against a slow, closed game, then is 3...e6 basically the solution?

And also, any books that cover this?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo