Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Norm tournaments in Norway (Read 1657 times)
Girkassa

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Norm tournaments in Norway
Reply #2 - 07/23/15 at 18:55:21
Post Tools
Adding to what Stigma said, I have played the Svein Johannessen memorial twice, and it is certainly a nice tournament which I can recommend. Just beware of the tight schedule: It is nine rounds in five days, so apart form the first day, you play two rounds a day for four days. That means little time to prepare and relax between the rounds, but it also means five days with a lot of chess. Smiley Whether you find that a good thing or a bad thing is a matter of taste, of course, but it is quite different from the "approximately one game per day" schedule of the Fagernes tournaments.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: Norm tournaments in Norway
Reply #1 - 07/22/15 at 22:51:51
Post Tools
The number of norm tournaments in Norway is very limited. I'm only aware of these two venues/organizers currently active, respectively at Fagernes (close to the mountains and some 2,5-3 hours north of Oslo), and in Oslo:

http://tv2chess2015.blogspot.no/

http://s9mt.blogspot.no/

I have played in several tournaments by the first-mentioned organizer; he is very experienced and industrious. He used to run tournaments in Oslo as well until recently, but he got a better hotel deal at the small town Fagernes, and so has moved there for the time being. Apart from the announced tournament in December/January, I wouldn't be surprised to see further tournaments there in typical timeslots like Easter and the norwegian Autumn Holiday week (September/October). Edit: I notice now that one for Easter 2016 is also already announced: http://www.sjakk.no/?tournament=fagernes-international-og-det-apne-nm-2016

The Svein Johannessen memorial has taken place for 8 years now in Oslo in June, so surely it's a well-run and popular tournament as well, though I've never played it myself. It's staged in the most venerable chess club premises in Norway, Oslo Schakselskap, but the catch is their playing hall is of limited size so there's always a long waiting list! Which means you should probably register immediately if you wish to play. Even if you do you are far from guaranteed entry, since the organizer (an IM and originally your countryman) selects the lucky participants based on a variety of criteria, like having played previously, getting a good mix of playing strengths, nationalities and age ranges, etc.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Norm tournaments in Norway
07/22/15 at 22:27:41
Post Tools
For those who played in Norway, are there good norm (>9-round, international) tournaments in Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger, or even up north like Trondheim or Tromsø? Other than the super-elite events in Stavanger and Tromsø Sjakkolympiaden 2014, what about >9 rounders for the rest of us in any of those places?

If there are any in Akershus west of Oslo that is fine too, but I was looking for any more within the city limits.

I would better like to hear from those who played and can say which ones have good conditions and venues and can describe their expereinces there than just looking at a tournament list.

Og hvis dere vil spørre meg om det, jeg kan jo vel klare meg på norsk. More or less Smiley

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo