Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Petroff: Move by Move (Read 16835 times)
CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Re: The Petroff: Move by Move
Reply #20 - 10/01/15 at 07:52:45
Post Tools
Thx, guys !

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 09/29/15 at 14:40:58
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 09/29/15 at 13:15:24:
CanadianClub wrote on 09/29/15 at 10:01:44:
This format (Move by move series) has a lot of potential to present an opening to a reader. Both Emms books (Nimzo & Taimanov) are nice (the only Move by Move books I have checked). So... maybe it was a good book to start with the Petroff.

Any other material to do so? I have played neither 1.e4 as White nor 1.e4 e5 as Black in my whole life.

Too much theory to learn in the Petroff as black? (in comparison with the accelerated dragon or the Qa5 scandinavian). In the excerpt of Lakdawala's book, he says there is a lot of theory in the Russian Defence.

Thx

I think there are few recent books on the Petroff, and i dont think they are aimed at the same people the MBM books are. 

I enjoyed "a vigorous chess opening repertoire for black" by Or Cohen. I think the book is aimed for the same readers as the MBM books. At least when compared to Emms book on the taimanov, which is far from basic I think.
Cohen gives entertaining lines in the Petroff (as far as this is possible) and a complete repertoire after 1. e4. I read some criticism on his lines against the bishop's game though. I really adored Cohen's enthusiams and dedication to his topic. It made me picking up the Petroff. You might want to check into this book as an possible alternative.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 09/29/15 at 13:15:24
Post Tools
CanadianClub wrote on 09/29/15 at 10:01:44:
This format (Move by move series) has a lot of potential to present an opening to a reader. Both Emms books (Nimzo & Taimanov) are nice (the only Move by Move books I have checked). So... maybe it was a good book to start with the Petroff.

Any other material to do so? I have played neither 1.e4 as White nor 1.e4 e5 as Black in my whole life.

Too much theory to learn in the Petroff as black? (in comparison with the accelerated dragon or the Qa5 scandinavian). In the excerpt of Lakdawala's book, he says there is a lot of theory in the Russian Defence.

Thx

I think there are few recent books on the Petroff, and i dont think they are aimed at the same people the MBM books are.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #17 - 09/29/15 at 10:01:44
Post Tools

Thx

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 09/28/15 at 17:58:03
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 09/27/15 at 12:53:55:
It is easy enough for me to just not read Lakdawala's books if I don't like them, but to me the real problem is that he takes all the air out of the room. If he's pumping out 12 Move By Move books a year, then those are all topics that won't be addressed by a writer I prefer (in an Everyman book).

A very valid point. I would've loved to read some of the books he wrote for 'move by move' by another author.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #15 - 09/27/15 at 12:53:55
Post Tools
It is easy enough for me to just not read Lakdawala's books if I don't like them, but to me the real problem is that he takes all the air out of the room. If he's pumping out 12 Move By Move books a year, then those are all topics that won't be addressed by a writer I prefer (in an Everyman book).

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #14 - 09/05/15 at 21:16:32
Post Tools
I am currently playing in a team tournament and the book shop had a copy of the book there and I made a quick look at the section where Lakdawalas books met. Lakawala goes for 3 .. Bb4 even through he admits that the variation is slightly better for white.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #13 - 08/22/15 at 14:22:46
Post Tools
I thought that 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Nxe5 d6 4. Nf3 Nxe4 5. Qe2 Qe7 6.d3 Nf6 7. Bg5 is Whites best line since it was Capablancas favorite Smiley
Lasker also used it in a few games.

Sorry about comment above, I could not resist it.I have played many different line vs Petroff, including the critical 5 Nc3 in real games and even the Exchange variation above in internet games.

But a if I make a more serious post, Lakdawala also wrote Four Knights Move by Move and it covered Three Knights as well. It would be interesting to know where these who books met? I have been very succefull in blitz vs a local FM in Four Knights using Lakdawalas recommendations and in real games vs opponets with about my  rating or slightly higher.
« Last Edit: 08/22/15 at 16:33:19 by bragesjo »  
IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #12 - 08/22/15 at 11:03:14
Post Tools
It's a bit hard to believe 10.b3 from Leko-Li Chao can promise a real advantage for White; it's only because Black allowed the exchange on c6 (which was totally unnecessary) that White got real pressure. Simply 10...a6 or 10...0-0 is completely fine for Black, and 11...h6 probably improves on 11...h5 too.

Even though 5.Nc3 is the trendy move, my view is that the old main line 5.d4 is a better try for an edge. However White's strategies associated with 5.Nc3 are certainly very obvious (hence why 1.e4 repertoire books tend to recommend it).

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 08/22/15 at 06:44:00
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 08/21/15 at 21:34:40:
gewgaw wrote on 08/21/15 at 20:17:31:
The Petroff is in a crisis after 5.Nc3 and the latest match Leko - Li proves it.

It would be helpful to expand on that.

I would second that. I think there are many people interested in a serious discussion about that. I checked chessgames.com and only found one petroff game in the match which black wins (!), even though commentators claim white was better up to move 30 or so ...

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1800089

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #10 - 08/21/15 at 23:17:01
Post Tools
I think quite a few GMs, such as Wei Li, Ding Liren, Batista Bruzon, and many others would be surprised to hear this. Those GMs all only managed to draw or lose against the Petroff this year.

I'd love to see your analysis that shows Black is in trouble.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #9 - 08/21/15 at 21:34:40
Post Tools
gewgaw wrote on 08/21/15 at 20:17:31:
The Petroff is in a crisis after 5.Nc3 and the latest match Leko - Li proves it.

It would be helpful to expand on that. The Internet is full of such claims, and our little corner of it is no exception.
Please explain.
Context (which line, what theory from where) and what is new.

Thanks,
B

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #8 - 08/21/15 at 21:00:47
Post Tools
That sounds like quite something, for an entire major defense to be "in a crisis" on the basis of two games.

IP Logged

gewgaw
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #7 - 08/21/15 at 20:17:31
Post Tools

The older, the better - over 2200 and still rising.

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 08/20/15 at 19:25:24
Post Tools
I got a little excited since I like the move by move books. Then I read the author's name ...

On the other hand there should be some useful material among these 400 pages. Since the petroff is my main defence against 1. e4 I will probably end up buying this.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 07/25/15 at 19:35:11
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 07/25/15 at 18:12:15:
I have it on good authority that he's one of their best-selling writers, delivers his books on time/early, etc, etc.  So I think that Everyman is pretty happy with him as-is.  Most people who buy those books are not looking for what most posters here are looking for.

Thats interesting. When i first started reading his books i thought i liked them, and have several of them. I dont know if they have since got worse, but now i cant help but find his writing completely distracting.   

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #4 - 07/25/15 at 18:12:15
Post Tools
I have it on good authority that he's one of their best-selling writers, delivers his books on time/early, etc, etc.  So I think that Everyman is pretty happy with him as-is.  Most people who buy those books are not looking for what most posters here are looking for.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #3 - 07/24/15 at 06:14:15
Post Tools
What to expect?
Lots of mindless drivel, one or two games where he beats 2000-rateds, and a little theory buried in the morass of arse-clenchingly terrible writing.
Everyman editors - tough love is needed. You have a job to do. Do it.

IP Logged

alyechin

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 07/23/15 at 15:55:45
Post Tools
Fllg wrote on 07/23/15 at 14:53:02:
alyechin wrote on 07/23/15 at 13:54:25:
What to expect from Mr. Lakdawala?

Lots of ´interesting´ storys - less interesting chess content.  Roll Eyes

The Lakdawalas must be twins, at least (same first name)  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 07/23/15 at 14:53:02
Post Tools
alyechin wrote on 07/23/15 at 13:54:25:

Lots of ´interesting´ storys - less interesting chess content.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

alyechin

I Love ChessPublishing!

The Petroff: Move by Move
07/23/15 at 13:54:25
Post Tools

Quote:
Contents

About the Author                              3

Series Foreword                              5

Bibliography                                    6

Introduction                                    7

1 The Cochrane Gambit                  18

2 The Scotch Petroff                        45

3 The Old Main Line                        129

4 Fifth Move Alternatives                        223

5 The New Main Line: Shirov’s Variation      273

6 The Three Knights Petroff                  359

7 Odds and Ends                              381

Index of Variations                              397

Index of Complete Games                  399

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo