Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ChessBase 13 - serious bug?? (Read 25981 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: ChessBase 13 - serious bug??
Reply #43 - 03/26/19 at 12:02:37
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 03/25/19 at 14:22:20:
verify:
  • menu - View - Arrange Main Windows - Maximize all = off
  • menu - View - Arrange Main Windows - Full Screen = off

Thanks for the help. Smiley I've tried turning all these on and then back off, but it doesn't make any difference.

If you get desperate:
  • menu - View - Default Layout - Factory Settings

The problem with this is that it resets all my user settings, doesn't it? I can't afford to lose my keyboard shortcuts, etc.

Do you have a laptop with an external monitor? Or maybe a VM? Since your "maximized" windows are not full size, it makes me suspect your screen resolution. Changing settings there (and then changing them back) might at least fix the small maximized issue, and get you regular maximized.

This might be it, I recently started using the new Dark default App mode and made the text 125%, I will change these back when I have a few spare moments and see.

In addition to ChessBase settings, there are Windows[R] settings, in three places.
  1. In the shortcut that starts ChessBase, right-click, Properties
    • Shortcut - Run = Normal window
    • Layout - Let system position window = false
  2. In the ChessBase window, click the control box in the upper left corner, Properties, then same as 1.

The shortcut properties seem OK, although I couldn't find 'Layout' and I didn't get Properties as an option when I clicked on the CB icon on the top left of the program.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #42 - 03/25/19 at 14:22:20
Post Tools
No, I haven't seen this in ChessBase, but verify:
  • menu - View - Arrange Main Windows - Maximize all = off
  • menu - View - Arrange Main Windows - Full Screen = off

If you get desperate:
  • menu - View - Default Layout - Factory Settings

Do you have a laptop with an external monitor? Or maybe a VM? Since your "maximized" windows are not full size, it makes me suspect your screen resolution. Changing settings there (and then changing them back) might at least fix the small maximized issue, and get you regular maximized.

In addition to ChessBase settings, there are Windows[R] settings, in three places.
  1. In the shortcut that starts ChessBase, right-click, Properties
    • Shortcut - Run = Normal window
    • Layout - Let system position window = false
  2. In the ChessBase window, click the control box in the upper left corner, Properties, then same as 1.
  3. Windows[R] saves the settings like in 1 and 2 according to the command-line that started the program. Some programs, in addition to the Properties item in 2, have a Defaults item, so look for that.

The Properties and Default properties are supposed to be managed for you when you change the window, lately many programs stopped showing these menu items in the control box. In that case you would need to dig into the Registry to change them manually. Another way is to create a new shortcut and change the Properties there, but I don't know if that would fix any child windows that ChessBase creates. I uninstalled ChessBase 14 so I can't actually test any of this myself.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #41 - 03/25/19 at 11:12:20
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 06/30/18 at 09:02:01:
a new annoyance cropped up after the last 'Update': whenever i click on a game in a database it opens with a large text area and tiny, tiny board. If I make the board bigger it remembers this (just for this one open database) while I have the program open, but then forgets it the next time I open ChessBase. I seem to spend most of my time resizing the game boards. Angry

I have recently installed CB13 on a new computer, so it's the 64-bit version rather than the 32-bit version I was using before. Whenever I open a database or game it opens in a mid-size window but 'thinks' it is maximised! So, I can't move it or resize it, but need to first click on the 'Restore down' two squares icon on the title bar (next to the cross on the top right) before I can do anything with it. Undecided
As this happens every time I use it, with every window I open, it is starting to get a bit tedious! Has anyone else had this problem, does anyone know how to fix it?

IP Logged

SWJediknight
God Member

Alert... opponent out
of book!

Reply #40 - 07/01/18 at 13:37:21
Post Tools
Novadruid wrote on 11/12/16 at 22:32:40:
Does anyone know how turn off the square highlights when pieces move?

I just updated my ChessBase 13. When I move pieces sometimes there will be this small green border around the piece that was moved. I assumed it was just highlighting it because it was the last move played, however, when I keep making moves, pieces that were moved sometimes 3+ moves ago, still have this very small green border highlight. Looking through options trying to turn it off. Not sure if this is just a bug or some new feature. If turn on "No scaling" feature in the "Board Design" option, that will get rid of it, however, the consequence is I no longer get to have my Maple colour scheme, as this gets switched off too.

This is quite annoying. The green border is small and hardly noticeable, however, once you notice it's there, you keep looking at it. Really hope they fix this in the next patch. Or maybe I just unwittingly turned on some setting I wasn't suppose to. I don't think I did, I never mess around with complex settings.

Yeah I get this problem too, it's a pain when copying and pasting chess diagrams and sometimes the squares have remnants of the green borders in them. 

Another annoyance is that when I check the online databases, I typically want to see the move, the number of games it was played in and the percentage score of the move, but after one of the updates it has kept inserting a "Transpositions" column and putting the percentage score off the side of the window, so I have to scroll right or turn off "Transpositions" in order to be able to see it again.  Turning off "Transpositions" only works for one session, so when I next start up ChessBase 13 I'm back to the defaults again, with the windows resized back to the default sizes, "Transpositions" visible and the percentages off the side of the window.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #39 - 07/01/18 at 01:13:29
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 06/30/18 at 09:02:01:
... whenever i click on a game in a database it opens with a large text area and tiny, tiny board. If I make the board bigger it remembers this (just for this one open database) while I have the program open, but then forgets it the next time I open ChessBase. I seem to spend most of my time resizing the game boards. Angry
Same here for CB14, but only for one of my databases (that I noticed).

Long ago we could select different board sizes by CTRL-1, CTRL-2, etc. Now those shortcuts do something else, but I still found CTRL-1 useful in this situation.

I did some hacking around in the .ini file for the one database, but I’m really not sure if that’s what fixed it. The very last thing I did though was open a game, arrange the board to a proper size, then save the game. Now the board behaves the way I want when I click on a game...

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #38 - 06/30/18 at 09:02:01
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 10/31/16 at 09:04:56:
However, there is still the problem of the quickboard on the 'Database preview' on the main window. I can close it but it just comes back the next time I open ChessBase

I am now on CB13.38 and this still isn't fixed, and what's more a new annoyance cropped up after the last 'Update': whenever i click on a game in a database it opens with a large text area and tiny, tiny board. If I make the board bigger it remembers this (just for this one open database) while I have the program open, but then forgets it the next time I open ChessBase. I seem to spend most of my time resizing the game boards. Angry

IP Logged

Hadron

Doctor, Doctor, Doctor..When
will you ever learn?

Reply #37 - 03/27/17 at 22:51:25
Post Tools
I know it has been a while.....but I have been using 13.28 up until recently then it too started to mix-up a database following the use of the "sort" function.
To the person who said they had a reply back from Chessbase, you should thank your lucky stars you did. Technically, I got a reply back as well but that is where began and ended.
I wrote them an e-mail highlighting clearly that this is what their program was doing and that I could provide them evidence of such. Their reply was "It works at our end and I should've backed my database up"
I then wrote back them to saying "Yes, it works on some databases but not others" as per their log release 13.13" and that this error is not as repaired as they think. I also pointed out that Chessbase light 2009 (or CB10) was able to reorder and could they provide me with a copy of the licence I paid for at that time.
There response to this is......????.....well, I don't know. CB help desk auto reply e-mail claims a 24 hour turn around on all queries, my last e-mail was sent 6 days ago.
I have since sent another e-mail but given what as gone on, I do NOT have any high hopes.
I would like to give Chessbase the benefit of any doubt here as computer environments are not always universal, an operating system update here and an operating system update there can either have no significant side effects or it can bugger things absolutely. The thing is, as it stands, Chessbase are not even willing to have any sort of discourse on my issue to help me out.
I am NOT going to recommend you avoid Chessbase products, no not at all but what I would say is, by all means indulge in Chessbase products but very careful when it comes to upgrading. Keep all of your licences no matter how old !! Query all product upgrades! Back up your databases before using their products!!....Just be bloody careful......as getting any assistance from Chessbase is likely to be just as fraught with peril... Angry

I'm reminded again of something Short wrote recently, approximately "The biggest fallacy in chess is the quasi-religious belief in the primacy of the opening."

IP Logged

Novadruid
YaBB Newbies

Reply #36 - 11/12/16 at 22:32:40
Post Tools
Does anyone know how turn off the square highlights when pieces move?

I just updated my ChessBase 13. When I move pieces sometimes there will be this small green border around the piece that was moved. I assumed it was just highlighting it because it was the last move played, however, when I keep making moves, pieces that were moved sometimes 3+ moves ago, still have this very small green border highlight. Looking through options trying to turn it off. Not sure if this is just a bug or some new feature. If turn on "No scaling" feature in the "Board Design" option, that will get rid of it, however, the consequence is I no longer get to have my Maple colour scheme, as this gets switched off too.

This is quite annoying. The green border is small and hardly noticeable, however, once you notice it's there, you keep looking at it. Really hope they fix this in the next patch. Or maybe I just unwittingly turned on some setting I wasn't suppose to. I don't think I did, I never mess around with complex settings.

IP Logged

ChessMonkey

You may ask yourself,
well, how did I get here?

Reply #35 - 11/12/16 at 21:07:32
Post Tools
Hey guys,  I'm working in the Dvoretsky Endgame Manual (uploaded from a CD many moons ago) on CB13 (most recent build, #27) and noticed that I can't play thru the positions by pressing the F10 key which is what the text says to do, is there a workaround for this?  Haven't worked on this in a very long time as I've been spending my time on the Move by Move ebooks, but decided it was time to brush up on basics again after an embarrassing endgame gaffe.   

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #34 - 10/31/16 at 09:04:56
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 06/01/16 at 09:20:58:
I just couldn't stand those quickboards appearing every time I opened a database and clogging-up my screen space!

Ok, now I've installed version 24, and at least the annoying quick board problem on open databases has been solved. However, there is still the problem of the quickboard on the 'Database preview' on the main window. I can close it but it just comes back the next time I open ChessBase, I can make it so small that I can't see it, but it still comes back the next time i open the program (although quite small).

IP Logged

Sylvester

Chess is the ultimate
game!

Reply #33 - 07/17/16 at 22:54:54
Post Tools
I having trouble sending a pgn file of a game using Chessbase 13 and the internet answers are not satisfactory.
I get the following MAPI error when I try to send a game as pgn.

There is no email program associated to perform the requested action.....

I use Outlook so I guess I will have to use something else. Any ideas about how to fix this problem?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #32 - 06/01/16 at 09:20:58
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 05/31/16 at 09:54:58:
One good thing about the latest versions of ChessBase

This wasn't enough to stop me from reverting to version 10, though, I just couldn't stand those quickboards appearing every time I opened a database and clogging-up my screen space! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #31 - 05/31/16 at 18:17:34
Post Tools
Yes, that was good. It really annoyed me as well. I just can't believe it took them that much time to fix it...

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #30 - 05/31/16 at 09:54:58
Post Tools
One good thing about the latest versions of ChessBase is that they fixed the bug where game links merged into the text for the following move (so that if a move followed a game link, and there was text before it, this was also red and underlined). Smiley This was previously a little annoying on some of our playable eBooks, of course.
It only took more than ten years to get this fixed! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #29 - 05/27/16 at 15:23:29
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 03/09/16 at 22:18:33:
I don't know, I assume that the bug appeared because ChessBase made alterations to the program so that it would work better with Win 10 ... and messed it up in Win 7!
Of course, I could be wrong, but I am happy using CB 13 Version 10 (which interestingly came out in July 2015 ... just before Windows 10 appeared!) Roll Eyes

Maybe I was wrong, even with ChessBase version 21 and Windows 10 there is still the same bug - if you close the quick boards they come back again the next time you open ChessBase! Angry
Does anyone else have this problem, or know of a solution?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo