Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ChessBase 13 - serious bug?? (Read 38863 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: ChessBase 13 - serious bug??
Reply #13 - 11/26/15 at 11:22:14
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 11/25/15 at 22:25:33:
out of interest whats the biggy there

It really is the 'killer App' for ChessBase. When you are playing through a game you can click on a button and immediately see what moves have been played in any given position, the percentage score, the transpositions, etc. It is better than the Reference button which uses your Reference base (MegaBase 2016, say) as it is so fast, and they also have a lot of important correspondence games in their base.
ChessBase stop this facility on older versions of their program so you have to buy a recent version (currently CB12 or 13). Sad

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #12 - 11/25/15 at 22:25:33
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 11/25/15 at 11:05:12:
I liked CB 10 the most, but at some point I decided to move to CB 13, mostly for the instantaneous online database searches.

out of interest whats the biggy there - save you having to update your own main database? an "online search" somehow fills me with dread, although I suppose it could be used as a kind of last checklist type thing to make sure no howlers are missed.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #11 - 11/25/15 at 11:05:12
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 11/24/15 at 20:17:34:
I'm still on Chessbase 9

I liked CB 10 the most, but at some point I decided to move to CB 13, mostly for the instantaneous online database searches.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #10 - 11/24/15 at 22:19:47
Post Tools
good luck with that  Undecided

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #9 - 11/24/15 at 20:25:13
Post Tools
Seeley wrote on 11/24/15 at 10:32:53:
braincramp wrote on 11/24/15 at 02:02:19:
I got a reply to my email from Chessbase today and they said the problem would be fixed in the next release.

I don't know whether your message from Chessbase made this clear or not, but does 'fixed in the next release' mean they'll do something about it as an update to CB13, I wonder, or does it mean they'll fix it in CB14?

I am sure that they mean that it will be in the next CB13 update.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #8 - 11/24/15 at 20:18:58
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 11/24/15 at 20:17:34:
I'm still on Chessbase 9 Smiley

stay there and dont move, just stay!

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #7 - 11/24/15 at 20:17:34
Post Tools
I'm still on Chessbase 9 Smiley

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #6 - 11/24/15 at 19:47:44
Post Tools
Every update to chessbase has been a disaster, I still remember Chessbase 4 when the program actually did what I wanted it to - wild card searches, no stupid long "indexes" which take ages to load and then dont do what they are supposed to.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #5 - 11/24/15 at 10:32:53
Post Tools
braincramp wrote on 11/24/15 at 02:02:19:
I got a reply to my email from Chessbase today and they said the problem would be fixed in the next release.

I don't know whether your message from Chessbase made this clear or not, but does 'fixed in the next release' mean they'll do something about it as an update to CB13, I wonder, or does it mean they'll fix it in CB14?

IP Logged

braincramp
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 11/24/15 at 02:02:19
Post Tools

As an aside, if you look at the number of times an "upgrade" breaks things, vs the number of upgrades, it seems that there is about a 50% chance that any upgrade will break something! A few years ago I suggested that they have a beta test program, and even volunteered as a tester. They never took me up on it. I wish they would step up their quality control.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #3 - 11/16/15 at 11:57:13
Post Tools
braincramp wrote on 11/15/15 at 13:55:59:
When I open the database and click on the Elo W column heading to sort the games by descending rating, I expect to get a bunch of games by Magnus Carlsen at the top. Instead the list starts with Topalov rated 2812.

I just tried this on CB13.10 and it worked fine.

braincramp wrote on 11/16/15 at 01:13:00:
If you examine the changelog.txt file in \program  files\chessbase\cbase13 you can see that they frequently break things as they go from one version to another. There are seven "regression" labels for the things that got broken along the way.

They seem to have broken a lot recently as apart from this there is the problem with the quickboards that I was complaining of. Sad
I suppose that it may be because they are trying to quickly make changes to both 32 and 64 bit versions so that everything works fine in Windows 10.

IP Logged

braincramp
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 11/16/15 at 01:13:00
Post Tools
Thanks dfan - it is good to know that it is not just me. I will let ChessBase know and hopefully they can fix it.

If you examine the changelog.txt file in \program  files\chessbase\cbase13 you can see that they frequently break things as they go from one version to another. There are seven "regression" labels for the things that got broken along the way.

I don't think that ChessBase has a very robust beta test program in place.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #1 - 11/15/15 at 14:40:18
Post Tools
I just tried sorting Mega Database 2015 and got the same behavior. There's a list of games starting with Topalov 2812 and going down to unrated players, then starting again with Carlsen 2865 and going down to unrated players again, then starting again, etc. It's as if they forgot to run the last step of the merge-sort algorithm.

This is version 13.13 Nov 8 2015 according to the About text.

IP Logged

braincramp
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

ChessBase 13 - serious bug??
11/15/15 at 13:55:59
Post Tools
While working with ChessBase 13 (recently upgraded to Version 13.13) and the just-released Mega Database 2016 I noticed some very strange behavior that affects sorting and filtering.

When I open the database and click on the Elo W column heading to sort the games by descending rating, I expect to get a bunch of games by Magnus Carlsen at the top. Instead the list starts with Topalov rated 2812.

I also run into problems when I try to filter for games with players who are under a certain rating. It does not include all games by players without a rating. I found this out by attempting to delete games played by those under 2100. When I delete the filtered games some games with players without ratings still remain.  There is no way to specifically filter for a blank rating (you can only enter valid numbers into the filter fields).

This behavior seems to be consistent for me when using any large (250,000+  game) database. It is also consistent on the two computers that I use for Chessbase 13 (both Windows 10, 64-bit. 16 Gb or more memory, fast CPU).

It does not occur with the free Chessbase Reader program which is based on Chessbase 12.

Would anyone else with CB 13 try the steps in my second sentence and post your results?

I contacted ChessBase support about a related problem before determining the real issues. Still no reply. I will be contacting them again tomorrow.

Many thanks

Braincramp

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo