Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Finding previous updates (Read 3476 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: Finding previous updates
Reply #5 - 12/08/15 at 11:57:41
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 12/08/15 at 10:49:30:
Actually that's not what I'm finding. For example, if you search "Aronian Nakamura" (or "Aronian - Nakamura") you get 45 hits, most of which mention either Aronian or Nakamura but not both.

Both names will have occurred in all 45 of those updates, even if you can't see them in the small amount of text displayed.

Straggler wrote on 12/08/15 at 10:49:30:
More important, the search function only seems to work for mentions of a player in the text of the update. Where the links in an update read "Game 1" or whatever, and the names of the players appear only in the game itself, a search for the names does not yield that update. For example: Miles - Speelman, Phillips & Drew 1982 (a Veresov) was one of the games discussed by Eric in March 2008. Suppose I want to read that update but can't remember when it was. Obviously the date of the game doesn't help much. A search for "Miles Speelman" yields various mentions of Miles and/or Speelman but not the update I am looking for. I assume that this is because the link to the game is given as "Game 3" rather than "Miles-Speelman".

Yes, those updates where 'Game 1 etc.' has been used may or may not mention the names of the protagonists, but you may then be successful with a 'site:chesspublishing.com ...' search on Google.

IP Logged

Straggler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 12/08/15 at 10:49:30
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/07/15 at 22:12:35:
You don't need to include a hyphen, a space between the two names will only get months where both players are mentioned

Actually that's not what I'm finding. For example, if you search "Aronian Nakamura" (or "Aronian - Nakamura") you get 45 hits, most of which mention either Aronian or Nakamura but not both.

More important, the search function only seems to work for mentions of a player in the text of the update. Where the links in an update read "Game 1" or whatever, and the names of the players appear only in the game itself, a search for the names does not yield that update. For example: Miles - Speelman, Phillips & Drew 1982 (a Veresov) was one of the games discussed by Eric in March 2008. Suppose I want to read that update but can't remember when it was. Obviously the date of the game doesn't help much. A search for "Miles Speelman" yields various mentions of Miles and/or Speelman but not the update I am looking for. I assume that this is because the link to the game is given as "Game 3" rather than "Miles-Speelman".

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #3 - 12/07/15 at 22:12:35
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 12/07/15 at 13:56:21:
That seems to give all mentions of either player, even if you include a hyphen between the names.

You don't need to include a hyphen, a space between the two names will only get months where both players are mentioned, and there shouldn't be many of these that doesn't include the game you are looking for.

Straggler wrote on 12/07/15 at 13:56:21:
I suppose one could just look at the updates for the months immediately following the date of the game, assuming that that date is given.

Yes, very true, but you would need to know the opening. Of course, if you knew this you could use the search method and then only click on the results including the appropriate opening section.

IP Logged

Straggler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 12/07/15 at 13:56:21
Post Tools
Thanks, Tony. That seems to give all mentions of either player, even if you include a hyphen between the names. I suppose one could just look at the updates for the months immediately following the date of the game, assuming that that date is given. The trouble with this approach is that sometimes not-so-recent games are covered. That probably happens mostly in the case of those writers who tend to devote a whole update to a particular theme, rather than just writing about whatever interesting games happen to have been played recently: I'm thinking particularly of Eric Prié. But it's precisely in those cases that you benefit most from reading the update itself as well as the annotated games.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #1 - 12/07/15 at 13:12:20
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 12/03/15 at 22:34:47:
Is there an easy way to find the update in which a particular game was discussed?

Yes, use the 'Search' tab at the top of each page (http://www.chesspublishing.com/php/search/search.php) and write the two players' names in the search box. Smiley

IP Logged

Straggler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Finding previous updates
12/03/15 at 22:34:47
Post Tools
Is there an easy way to find the update in which a particular game was discussed?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo