Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Playing the Scandinavian (Read 3425 times)
Marcellus

Re: Playing the Scandinavian
Reply #4 - 12/09/15 at 02:16:37
Post Tools
Gut Gambit wrote on 12/08/15 at 21:10:05:
Good question!  I doubt there is a GM who do so on reagulary basis today, but why not? Maybe Larsen (or Bronstein)if he still was alive  Smiley Check the bases!

GG

I just checked the most recent 1000 Scandinavian games on the Chessbase online DB. The vast majority of players stuck to one variation. There were less than ten players (down to low master level) that played both 2...Qxd5 and 2...Nf6 and their games numbered five or less total out of the entire group of a thousand.
GM Smerdon was the only one to play each variation at least five times and he chose 3...Qa5, interestingly, instead of the more trendy 3...Qd6.

IP Logged

Marcellus

Reply #3 - 12/09/15 at 01:25:37
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 12/08/15 at 21:44:08:
Kind of odd that Kotronias is writing a book on 3...Qd6 in the Scandi

Hopefully it won't require more than IV volumes.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #2 - 12/08/15 at 21:44:08
Post Tools
Kind of odd that Kotronias is writing a book on 3...Qd6 in the Scandi for a non-QC publisher. I am at work and can't check a DB, but he has zero 3...Qd6 games on ChessGames.com, only 3...Qa5. But either way, I trust him as an analyst and look forward to checking this one out.

IP Logged

Gut Gambit
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 12/08/15 at 21:10:05
Post Tools
Good question!  I doubt there is a GM who do so on reagulary basis today, but why not? Maybe Larsen (or Bronstein)if he still was alive  Smiley Check the bases!

GG

IP Logged

Marcellus

Playing the Scandinavian
12/08/15 at 20:03:22
Post Tools
One thing that seems to favor the Scandinavian over other defenses is the lack of anti's, since you're usually going to get your chosen variation on the board. There is a lot of new information available with Smerdon's book on 2...Nf6 and the new S. Kasparov book advocating 3...Qd6, According to the Chess-stars website, Kotronias will also be writing a book on 3...Qd6 to appear in January.
A question: does anyone routinely combine these two very different variations and use them as their sole defense against 1e4? That's to say, to play 3...Qd6 when you wish to play solidly/positionally and to use 2...Nf6 when you need to play aggressively? It would seem fairly economical to do so given the relatively small amount of theory.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo